Made a tool today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a tool today

Went down to the shop today,carpentry,and welding. Took about 5 ft. of 1" underground gas pipe. Put in the hydraulic bender ,gave it a little wow on one end. cut a 3/4+ slot in the inside of the bend on the metal band saw,about 1 1/4" up. It's a cable auger starter for clean outs.
    When It's flooded ,I can feel the sweep direction[ we're 2'-3'deep in My area of Ca.]
    I will be able to slot it on above the cutter,around the cable and head it in the right direction
    on a 2 way. Will let You know how it works. Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Made a tool today

tool not 100% sure i got the picture. i have the idea, just not the picture. can you post a photo?

i usually use a tile probe to feel the direction on a 2 way.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I dont know why I`m posting this to you as you always seem to get up ended when I reply

Here once again, after you do enough sewers you will know what side of the clean-outs to place your machine to make the cutter go down the line or up the line. It will be a pain to insert your cable then fight the pipe to get the machine close enough to the clean-out. I use this kind of thing on jobs that dont have clean-outs where I have to dig up the sewers because someone busted a hole in the line for a clean out and the owners are to cheap to install one but, I just use a cut off 2" pvc pipe with-out the bend
      As Rick said, I`ll use my probe to see if I`m in question on the direction the cutter went.
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Sounds like overkill to me....Can you post a pic of it?
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I'll post a Pix next week, Sorry All Clear,I've gotta work on That! Always enjoy Your posts.
          Keep in mind,I have been welding, and fabing jigs for many years. I enjoy the creative process,as well as doing. I'll never do tons of D.clearing to have anywhere Your experience.
          I think this will help Me,I'll find out. I.ll also run it by My drain cleaner friend,see what He thinks. If any of You Guys want help with 7018 vertical ,I'll teach ,without laughing.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

One more thought. On My own clean out. This is one situation that led to this. I installed a
            C.I. 2 way against the foundation. There is a box Bay window ,low, projecting above. It makes a 90 and runs full length under the sidewalk. At best, machine is 90 degrees to CO and have to fight it from heading into the house!

Comment

Tool,

Keep in mind what you built could be dangerous if you are not careful. What you really should try to build is more like a shoe horn so that it is open. I had some made from plastic conduit which my electrical buddy bent for me. They helped a lot with 4' + deep two way cleanouts.

Mark

BTW: I hate double cleanouts and do not personally install them.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The cable always rides against the opposite side of the pipe in the direction your are going.

So if you are augering to your right, the cable will bow and ride against the left. I've never seen it do otherwise...unless you're more than 10' down in a upright.

I run inner-core cables so they are quite stiff....a curve usually develops in the motion of turns protruding out of the cleanout to the machine.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Hi Tool, a tile prob is an excellent tool for looking for direction of a c/o.

Remember, if your going towards the street, the cable will run on the backside of the c/o, and if your going up into the house, the cable will run in the front of the c/o.

I ran into 2 incorrectly installed 2 way c/o's the other month, the risers were both to grade, but someone had sweeped the comby's away from eachother, very wrong, they should sweep into eachother.

So, just cause you see two c/o's above grade, remember, they may not always be installed correctly and automatically assume you will be going in the right direction.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

[quote=ToUtahNow;105900]Tool,

Keep in mind what you built could be dangerous if you are not careful. What you really should try to build is more like a shoe horn so that it is open. I had some made from plastic conduit which my electrical buddy bent for me. They helped a lot with 4' + deep two way cleanouts.

Mark

BTW: I hate double cleanouts and do not personally install them.[/quote]

all good minds think alike

i like the texas twin

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I respect the 3/4 H.P.machine as much as I do My weapons. I go slow feathering The bulb until I'm in the straight. I was taught ,from You Guys about The cable riding on the opposite side of Riser. I did debur the throat with My grinder. There is no way it will bind.It appears to horse the cable where I want. Time will tell. I'll post Picks Mon. or Tue nite. Thanks' for Your concerns and input.

Comment

Working...
                      X