Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preferred cables

Hi all,

New here and enjoying the forum. I'm interested in what you all prefer for cables in different scenarios. I know what I use, but I've not tried everything by a long shot... interested to see if there is a consensus and how well it correlates to my experience.

- in general, do you prefer the open wound 'electric eel' type cables or the tighter wound cables? in what applications? at what distances?

- what diameter cable do you prefer in what applications? at what distances?

- do you find sinificant performance differences between brands of cables?

- what is your preferred tool attachment system and why?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: preferred cables

I prefer sectional and thanks to Mark and Rick for turning me onto the K-60. I love the open wind cable (C-10). I snaked out to 150' with roots with the k60. I've also used the spartan 1065 which is considered by many to be the best drum machine out there. I'll take the k60 over the 1065 any day of the week. I only have to deal with 4" pipe since anything beyond the city cleanout is their responsibilty. If I ever need a bigger machine, I'll get the K1500.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I prefer General 1.25" sectional with inner core cable and "L" type connectors for main lines. I don't have an opinion on other brands as I have always used this type because it has always suited my needs. I have seen this type preform above and beyond expectations and have never seen one break.
      My favorite head to use is 3" spiral root cutter.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I prefer inner core cables....Dual Eel cable is my favorite...still not a fan on the K60 yet...but i have only used it acouple times...Love the K60, just need to use it more...i need to challenge it with a serious root clog...I use the .66 Spartan cable for my Spartan 2001....Its very strong and sturdy....Knock on wood...only 1 cable of the .66 ever broke and me and im pretty sure that was do to age...
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I've never used sectionals; the cable looks nice and flexible for getting round bends... I suspect you can use pretty large diameter stuff compared to drum machines. How is it compared to drum machines for torque capactiy? Do you get some warning before you spring it from overtorque? It would be nice to just ruin one 15' section instead of a whole cable when I get too aggressive. It looks bulky and dirty to set up for indoor use... don't your sections drip nastiness everywhere? Especially as you remove them when tearing down? Is it time consuming adding each section?

I just watched ridgid's video on the K-60. Can you dissociate the rotation from the feed? I don't like auto feed on my drum machines; prefer to keep them rotating and push them in by hand... it gives me more feel.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I use rr 3/4 inch cable with spartan ends in my drum machine which is a version of a K7500, I like it. I have never run into anything that I couldn't open with it yet unless it was broke. Around the shop people have been passing around a catalog from Mytana... anyone heard of them or know how good or bad their cable is? I get 100ft from mytana for about half of what I pay the company for the rr cable.

Billytwohatz

if you only run it once you'll be back to run it again.

Comment

after using cable machines for 20 plus years, i'm now a sectional man.

k-50

k-60

k-1500

i know they are more to handle/ hands on. but they do a better job of cleaning due to their open wind, auger like action. not only does the cutter do the work, the cable does too.

the cable is more flexible and is great for taking up on roofs. especially the k60 impressionator

sure a 3/4'' innercore is stiff. but a sectional in the right hands can do amazing things with a much safer clutch assy. there is very little stored torque build up in a sectional machine.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Can you Run the K60 from a C/O on the Soil stack? I have never seen a Sectional machine in use before... (just been in for 2 years) I have seen some one use a sterioded up hitachi power drill with sectional cable before, but that looked like a good way to get tangled up.

Comment

Originally posted by billytwohatz View Post
                  Can you Run the K60 from a C/O on the Soil stack? I have never seen a Sectional machine in use before... (just been in for 2 years) I have seen some one use a sterioded up hitachi power drill with sectional cable before, but that looked like a good way to get tangled up.

the k-60 with it's present ridgid cable was designed for 4'' and smaller pipe. i hope they will eventually beef up the cable or inner core it to handle 6'' pipe. i run into 6'' pipe once we hit the property line/ sidewalk.

i run from cleanouts, toilet bends and roof vents.

don't tell anyone, but i too use a dewalt timberwolf 300 rpm with clutch to spin up to 110' of 1.25'' cable with no problem. you do have to be cautious as the cable can flip while outside of the line. with a drill you have some built up rpm inertia unlike with a k-1500 clutch assy.

i find that at times the drill is much more portable than the machine. especially on a roof or a ceiling opening.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    I've never used sectionals; the cable looks nice and flexible for getting round bends... I suspect you can use pretty large diameter stuff compared to drum machines. How is it compared to drum machines for torque capactiy? Do you get some warning before you spring it from overtorque? It would be nice to just ruin one 15' section instead of a whole cable when I get too aggressive. It looks bulky and dirty to set up for indoor use... don't your sections drip nastiness everywhere? Especially as you remove them when tearing down? Is it time consuming adding each section?

I just watched ridgid's video on the K-60. Can you dissociate the rotation from the feed? I don't like auto feed on my drum machines; prefer to keep them rotating and push them in by hand... it gives me more feel.
                    I will use the eel on 4in and above..I wouldnt run it in a house due to it being to large...The K60 however i will run in a house and from a CO on a stack..Usually not messy at all...Around here there are alot of outside cleanouts and curb traps...that would be my access to run the eel....The K60 very very easy to take onto roofs...main reason i got it....Not time consuming at all...Using the eel you can tell when your tourqueing up...it has a clutch on it so you dont snap a cable...The cables can still break if you dont know what your doing...but knock on wood....They dont drip anymore nastiness then a drum machine does....I use both
                    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I use a drum with 3/4 " general cable for roots but if I get into mush that I have to move I stick 1 1/4 " EEL cables on the front of the drum cable. I never had any trouble getting the EEL cable through a 4" floor trap even a 3" might just need a drop head before the cutter. Here we don't have the room for the sec.any more. Towards the last I had to wrap the K 60 hose around myself and back to the front of the machine

Comment

I have always been a drum guy have used the Spartan 1065 and i also have the ridgid K50 as i learned about them from Rick and some other Veteran guys on here. I do really like the K50 due to it's size and flexibility as far as running 5/8 and with an adapter running 5/16. I haven't really put it to the test using the 5/8 cable yet but have cleared a few lines through a 2" cleanout into a 4" and it worked great! I have purchased about 60ft of new cable from draincables.com and they seem to be pretty good quality but have not used them yet. I know a K400 is a homeowners machine but i have had good luck using it also but if there is a tough clog it does seem to come to a stop and doesn't have much torque but overall will clear most home drains with a soft back up

Comment

Working...
                        X