X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile Probe ??????

More than once this tool has been mentioned. Can You please describe it?
    My guess Its' a 14" steel rod 5'long with a wood T handle. Also any tips to using it would help
    Thanks' Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Tile Probe ??????

I'm assuming you meant 1/4" rod?

They are made of a variety of materials and you probe the ground looking for the sewer line.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i also have a 1/4'' carbide tipped drill rod that's 5' long. good for hard soil and lots of probes.

i also made a high pressure jetter style probe that makes a 5' deep hole in seconds.

tool weld up a piece of 5/16'' cold rolled steel to a 3/4'' pipe handle. install rubber bike grips to protect from a shock and sharpen the end of the probe.

this will work fine on med to soft soil. on the hard stuff you need a drill or a water probe.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I like to look for one thats insulated smoothly.I used to use one that was insulated in fiberglass,the finish was irregular and did not penetrate as well as good ol' steel.Also check to see if the design of the pointed tip is cupped to retrieve matterial from the product you have made contact with.

Comment

I may be wrong on this but I think using a steel probe is an OSHA violation.
          I think they require a fiberglass one.

BOBD do you have any info on this?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thank You all, Yes I meant 1/4" steel
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Thank You all, Yes I meant 1/4" steel

tool, i think 1/4'' is going to be way to flexible and will bend/ kink. my drill rod is 1/4'' and is made of a flexible drill steel. but it designed to flex with the drill spinning it.

i can check today, my real probe for a thickness. or try a 4' section of steel rod and check the flex. a bent probe is useless and will be too much friction pushing in.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick .I was at the shop today and welded one up. Used 1/4" hot rolled 5' long I" handle
                20" long with bike grips. Ground a wicked long tapered tip. just tried it at home seems ok.
                Again won't get used much. Our work is back into carpentry for a while. Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  I may be wrong on this but I think using a steel probe is an OSHA violation.
                  I think they require a fiberglass one.

BOBD do you have any info on this?
                  http://www.tandttools.com/Mighty%20Probe.htm

This is would suit both parties.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    i also have a 1/4'' carbide tipped drill rod that's 5' long. good for hard soil and lots of probes.

rick.
                    Do you actually use this probe with a drill? If you hit something with it, wouldn't it be to late?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Do you actually use this probe with a drill? If you hit something with it, wouldn't it be to late?
                      fortunately i've never hit anything

i verify my location first with a camera/ locator. i just probe for the heck of it.

today a probed right through the 4'' sewer jim cap that was buried. i saw the probe on my camera

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X