X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Repairs

How do You repair a broken 3/4" iner core cable? I haven't broke one ,but good to know! I am a very experienced welder. Mild steel Allum. stainless ,ect.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Cable Repairs

with a 3/4 cable splicer
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

You could use a 3/4 inch splicer or you could put new ends on it. I usually like to do ends. If it is kinked severly I will cut out the kinked section, the grind the end of the cut flat. The cables I use come from the company I work for and have a plastic inner-core, so I try to grab it with a pair of needle nose and pull about a half inch out to make room for my splice. I then use loctite cleaner and clean the cable a bit and add green loctite to the screw in part of my spartan ends. Screw the ends till they are as flush a possible with the cut that I ground flat earlier. I then just do a small spot weld at the greatest distance from the end/cable, take it back to the table grinder and smooth out the weld so as the cable can feed easily through the power feed.

Billytwohatz

Comment

Thank you both
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I use the Ridgid 3/4 innercore cable on my K-7500. I always just cut out the bad spot and use a 3/4 splicer. Works well as long as you dont try to run any more then 125' of cable in the drun and if the splice is at least 25' from the end of 125'. I like to have my splices as deep in the drum as I can. I cut my cables with a chop saw so it`s ready for a splicer as soon as it`s cut.
          I wont repair a broken cable as if it broke once it will brake again. I only cut out kinks and splice. I dont use loctite either, just a spot weld on the repair or new ends

I have a ton of used ridgid cable if your in the market I`m gonna try some Dura "wire innercore" cable here in the next few weeks and see if it last any longer. I like a good stiff cable
          Ridgid use to use wire but now they use some kind of floppy sink line cable for their innercore. Not near as good as their old cable
          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-16-2007, 08:46 PM. Reason: because I have the power to edit it ;)

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            I`m gonna try some Dura "wire innercore" cable here in the next few weeks and see if it last any longer. I like a good stiff cable
            Ridgid use to use wire but now they use some kind of floppy sink line cable for their innercore. Not near as good as their old cable
            I use Duracable in 1/2" and 3/8" and like it... though in all honesty I haven't tried anything else. I don't go through a lot of cable... maybe one or two a year. I get it with the plastic inner core, not the wire. My 3/4" (actually I think it's 13/16" or something) came with the machine and I have no idea who made it. I've never boken it.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I like a good stiff cable

i gave josh a sample of this good old stuff.

you're 100% correct

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I work for roto-rooter, I have been using their cables since I started. They are okay but not the greatest for the money. Other drain techs in the shop lately have been talking about Mytana cable. Has anybody used that? It is almost half as much as the rr cable, but from what I hear it is comparable to electric eel. Our cable machines are the Ridged 7500, I can't complain about the machine works great, but our cables don't hold up as long as I like. I have gone through three this year, they are kinda getting expensive. Looking to try a differnt brand of cable.

Billytwohatz

Comment

Dura Cable makes the cables for Roto Rooter and If I remember right Dura cable is owned by Roto Rooter?

Comment

Originally posted by billytwohatz View Post
                    I work for roto-rooter, I have been using their cables since I started. They are okay but not the greatest for the money. Other drain techs in the shop lately have been talking about Mytana cable. Has anybody used that? It is almost half as much as the rr cable, but from what I hear it is comparable to electric eel. Our cable machines are the Ridged 7500, I can't complain about the machine works great, but our cables don't hold up as long as I like. I have gone through three this year, they are kinda getting expensive. Looking to try a differnt brand of cable.

Billytwohatz
                    So far I've been very happy with Mytana cables. I don't use inner core and I'm sure I don't do as much drain cleaning as you. I use a sled style machine, with a big drum so I believe they send me a stiffer cable than an up right machine.In there catalog they show the cable for big drums and long sweep feeds into the drum and cables for standard machines( ridgid, general,and spartan) That may make a difference. I hope I've helped, of course we may not be comparing apples to apples.
                    P.S. any problems I've had with my cables so far have been human error.
                    Something else to keep in mind the only other cable I've used is general 3/4 inner core with a general machine, so my experiance is limited.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      Dura Cable makes the cables for Roto Rooter and If I remember right Dura cable is owned by Roto Rooter?
                      Not sure on that but I will check that out. If so I have had a cable last me a year. But after that it has been down hill since. But some have been human error. I have been training new techs this year as well so that may have something to do with it.

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      So far I've been very happy with Mytana cables. I don't use inner core and I'm sure I don't do as much drain cleaning as you. I use a sled style machine, with a big drum so I believe they send me a stiffer cable than an up right machine.In there catalog they show the cable for big drums and long sweep feeds into the drum and cables for standard machines( ridgid, general,and spartan) That may make a difference. I hope I've helped, of course we may not be comparing apples to apples.
                      P.S. any problems I've had with my cables so far have been human error.
                      Something else to keep in mind the only other cable I've used is general 3/4 inner core with a general machine, so my experiance is limited.
                      Thanks I am going to check this cable out. I am going to start with my small machines cable, and test those out first, then up to the 3/4. I have only used the Roto rooter cable(Dura cable?) since I started in this field 2 years ago. I do about 4-5 mains a day so I put them through quite a bit.

Thank you both for replying.

Billytwohatz

Comment

I only get about 3 to 4 months out of a Ridgid 3/4 innercore so a year would be GREAT for me

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          [/B]i gave josh a sample of this good old stuff.

you're 100% correct

rick.
                          Here`s the good stuff that Ridgid dont have any more

Comment

Mytana cables are sh it.

Comment

YES dura cable is the outside retail line for roto-rooter,

JERRYMAC MASTER DRAINMAN
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X