For My Money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For My Money

The drain cleaning Forum is the most interesting one. Why? The People contributing,The hands on experience ,brought here ,is awesome! Before I joined Ridgid,I had No idea of The talent ,and knowledge a COMPETENT Drain Tech. has. I hope The public appreciates all You do for Them! Merry Christmas ,Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: For My Money

yesterday was a prime example. i had 2 back to back calls within an hour of each other.

both had water overflowing. both were on the top floor. one was the shower overflowing and the other was the toilet. over the phone i explained it was impossible for the fixture to overflow on it's own if nothing was running.

there is an answer to everything. the shower was overflowing as the 1 pc. toilet kept running as it was also stopped up. and the other jobs toilet was running over as the customer kept bailing water into the sink, just to find out it was connected to the toilet.

now the stoppages. both were plugged up with baby wipes

both were cleared with the new impressionator, the k-50 with 5/8'' cable and a bulb auger. first one through the 2'' shower drain and the other through the kohler toilet the sectional grabs and winds up all the wipes it comes into contact with.

needless to say, both customers remarks were the same.
    they say flushable

thanks tool, always fun to talk drain shop. not to fun to eat drain talk

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      they say flushable

rick.
      I thought they only said that to me.
      Know pulling the toilet? what about damaging the china inside from fast spinning cables? has that ever been a problem? I've wanted to try that just never worked up the nerve

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
        I thought they only said that to me.
        Know pulling the toilet? what about damaging the china inside from fast spinning cables? has that ever been a problem? I've wanted to try that just never worked up the nerve
        this is my own propriety trade secret and it's for sale to the right company,
        ridgid

the home owner was so impressed that they took pictures of me working. there were wipes all along my cable. pretty impressive as i pulled them all out of the toilet.

you can't snake a main full of roots, but baby wipes are doable

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

ridgid

the home owner was so impressed that they took pictures of me working. there were wipes all along my cable. pretty impressive as i pulled them all out of the toilet.

rick.
          Sometimes I know the blockage is just a little past the toilet 10' to 15' maybe. Do you thing I could try it with 3/8s cable I'm not worried about 3/8 in soft blockages in 3 or 4" so long as I'm not out to far. Oh boy if this works no more pulling a toilet to find a broken flange that the people can't afford to have me fix anyway. While they're looking at me thinking I broke it.

Comment

http://www.usa.rothenberger.com/file...NAL-lo-res.pdf

see pg 89. Rothenberger makes something similar to Rick's idea. What kind of cutter head do you use when doing this Rick? How do you get through the toilet? Hand spin the cable, use the machine while feeding?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I've got no real knowledge of my own to contribute... but reading stuff like this might save me a lot of trouble in the future!

I don't have kids now... but if I do someday I wouldn't have thought anything of flushing something that specifically says "flushable" on it!

Comment

I have stopped using Draino entirely after reading Greg's story. I think the more knowledge that comes up in the forums the more it attracts. Very cool thing and there are some great role models in here.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  The drain cleaning Forum is the most interesting one. Why? The People contributing,The hands on experience ,brought here ,is awesome! Before I joined Ridgid,I had No idea of The talent ,and knowledge a COMPETENT Drain Tech. has. I hope The public appreciates all You do for Them! Merry Christmas ,Tool

Tool, Thanks for the nice compliment. Im sure all the drain guys, and plumbers on here appreciate it. Just hearing those comments, alone, makes me proud to do this service. Im super glad i found this forum. The knowledge that i didnt know existed is crazy on here. Just goes to show you can never know enough about your trade. I take personal pride and enjoyment to hear nice compliments from people who do not do this kind of work. Sure DIYers can clear a block, but it is really a skill and takes yrs to finally master. In this trade, you have to be very conscience of what your doing...They say 1 unhappy customer will tell at least 10 people not to use you. Customer satisfaction is what im all about. Anyway, i can go on and on, but i wont...

Merry Christmas to you Tool, and thanks for the nice words. We ALL appreciate it

Greg
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

ridgid

the home owner was so impressed that they took pictures of me working. Hope they won't do photoshop editing and put you on the wrong sitethere were wipes all along my cable. pretty impressive as i pulled them all out of the toilet.

rick.
                    Never know where your picts will end up

Comment

If we are all done patting each other on the butt can we talk about this toilet cable guide for a second?

How far would you feel comfortable running the cable?

What head would be appropriate to use?

Is there a danger of damaging a lead bend with the cable?

Comment

I'll take my chances on pulling the toilet. as far as stuff being flushed that shouldn't be flushed, I had a toilet full of kittly litter today... Sound familiar. My toilet auger looked like a stick of rock candy. The customer showed me the bag and it said in big BOLD letters FLUSHABLE. You gotta love it

Billytwohatz

Comment

cleared .... through the kohler toilet
                          rick.
                          and people think I'm crazy when I tell them I jet through cast in urinal traps...

nice innovation but I have 2 concerns... marking the visible portion of the porcelain with the cable (use a toilet auger with the cable and handle pulled out as a guide?), and putting a big enough tool through the line I feel confident I've cured the problem, not just got the line flowing.... in general I like to put a tool about an inch smaller than the line im working on through it to feel confident I'm not coming back soon.... but I can see the time savings, especially when the tile guy grouted the stool down lol.

-Alex
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            and people think I'm crazy when I tell them I jet through cast in urinal traps...

nice innovation but I have 2 concerns... marking the visible portion of the porcelain with the cable (use a toilet auger with the cable and handle pulled out as a guide?), and putting a big enough tool through the line I feel confident I've cured the problem, not just got the line flowing.... in general I like to put a tool about an inch smaller than the line im working on through it to feel confident I'm not coming back soon.... but I can see the time savings, especially when the tile guy grouted the stool down lol.

-Alex

I have to agree with you on that. The only cable im going to put thru a toilet is a Toilet Auger. I wouldnt feel comfortable put any kind of maching cable thru a toilet. What if there is tree roots just past the toilet sweep, and you catch a huge ball of it. Then your either shattering the toilet, or taking the toilet off with the cable still in the line and the pipe still backed up, and then the big mess....I stick with just sucking the toilet dry and take the toilet off...
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              If we are all done patting each other on the butt can we talk about this toilet cable guide for a second?

How far would you feel comfortable running the cable?
                              this job was 35'

What head would be appropriate to use?
                              bulb auger.

Is there a danger of damaging a lead bend with the cable?
                              no different than a closet auger. plus we don't have lead here

crack, it's for sale to the right bidder

i knew it was baby wipes and not roots, and i was on the second floor.

you need to throughly assess the job and make a decision based on your gut.

so far so good. it's been another impressonator experience for the customer.

ps. if you get me drunk on root beer on the 5'th, i might just talk

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X