Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sectional operation questions

Hi all,

I'm thinking the next new piece of equipment may be a sectional machine, but never having run one, or seen one in action, have some questions. I've read the operation maunal on the K-60 and K-1500. It seems that pushing the lever and engaging the clutch starts it turning, but does not feed it; you disengage, pull out a little slack, engage and push your slack in... yes? Can you sit and grind in one spot if you need to, ala concrete? Can you push into a wad of roots or whatever with your hand on the cable while rotating, then pull back out and release the torque if you need to without disengaging the rotation? Do I understand how this works correctly? No-one here stocks anything like this so I am buying blind. What is the torque capacity of say the 1 1/4 sections vs 3/4 drum? Will the 1 1/4 carry enough torque to rip roots at 200'? 300'?. I'm thinking of a K-1500 to replace my big Gorlitz; my back doesnt like lifting that 175' 3/4" reel into the van anymore, and due to space I rarlely carry the thing... the 1500 seems compact enough I could fit it in the van on a regular basis and keep from having to come back to jobs where I want a big snake. Also I think it would be easier to get down into crawlspaces when I need to.

-Alex
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Sectional operation questions

alex, you probably already know my answer

please list the typical size pipe, length, stoppage you encounter. roof top, ground, basement.

for me the k-60 does 90% of what i would use my 7500 for.

i use my sectional 1.25'' cables more in my timberwolf than on my 1500.

talk about space savings. no machine, just a drill.

i would think as you get use to the sectionals and how to operate them, you will get real good and fast at it. sooner or later the drum machine will be left at the shop.

fill in my questions and i'm sure there will be plenty of answers this time tomorrow

but remember, the k-60 has not let me down, nor others that own it and use it on a daily/ regular basis. right ben

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      alex, you probably already know my answer

please list the typical size pipe, length, stoppage you encounter. roof top, ground, basement.

rick.
      I use 3 cable machines depending on job:

tubs (via tub drain or overflow): 1/4 inch cable, 1 1/2" or 2" pipe, 2' to 20' distance, hair

occaisional floor drains, vanities, etc when jetter for some reason not what I want to use (via fd c/o, thru fd trap, or pulled p-trap): 3/8 cable in bigger drum machine, 2" pipe, distances to (rarely beyond 30') 40', old hardened grease, objects (bottletops, straws, busted glass, bar detritus), hair

toilet lines within multi-unit complexes (via pulled potty or occaisionally opened no hub): 1/2" cable on same drum machine, 3" or 4" pipe, distances to 60' (rarely beyond 40'), paper and solids, paper towels, stuff what got flushed and shouldn't have

main lines for single family homes or for multi unit buildings (via ext c/o, pulled toilet, c/o in crawlspace or basement): 4" pipe, same set up as above, distances to 100', clogs as above and roots. limited to about 70' on most roots as cable wont take required torque beyond that distance.

main lines as above but bigger pipe and or longer distances, especially roots at 65'+, or where the jetter won't pop the clog: 3/4" cable on a big drum machine, distances to 250'

I never work from roofs; I prefer to pull a toilet.

Mainly I am interested in replacing the space hogging and heavy 3/4" drum machine with something compact I can carry on the van all the time (the 3/4 drum machine lives at the shop until needed due to space constraints) and lighter to save my back.

does the sectional operate as I think in original post? engaging the clutch spins it, but does not feed it? you must disengage clutch to pull cable thru machine?

torque carrying capacity/ flexibility of open wind cable in what size is equivalent to 1/2", 3/4" drum machine cable?

thanks again, Alex
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

whats a timberwolf?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          does the sectional operate as I think in original post? engaging the clutch spins it, but does not feed it? you must disengage clutch to pull cable thru machine?

torque carrying capacity/ flexibility of open wind cable in what size is equivalent to 1/2", 3/4" drum machine cable?

thanks again, Alex
          You got the jist of how a sectional machine works. I would say that a 7/8 sectional cable has much flexibility as a 1/2" non innercore cable! I't's that flexible. I've never used a K-7500 just a spartan 1065. I'd take the k-60 over that machine any day. I'll put it like this, if I could get a free 1065, I would still pay for a K-60. In fact, that's what happened. We had the 1065 at work and I still got a k-60. Never regretted the decision.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

whats a timberwolf?
            Right angle drill made by black & decker.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I run my 1.25 sectional with my drill. It's very easy on the back. Gives a good feel for whats going on.
              I also just discovered a trick the other day. In a clean out that is above waist height the snake has a tendency to pull it's self back out making it very hard if your alone. I carry my sectionals in cages so I just stacked them together and put the duct tape to 'em and let the snake ride on them so they take the bulk of the weight and the snake stops pulling back out.
              Attached Files
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Also get a 4' section. They come in quite handy. Good for jumping whole house traps (not all but most), or a stubborn blockage thats a foot further then your last cable.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  Also get a 4' section. They come in quite handy. Good for jumping whole house traps (not all but most), or a stubborn blockage thats a foot further then your last cable.

100% correct. a 10' section outside of a tuff stoppage is no fun. a 4' section is easily controlled.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I use 3 cable machines depending on job:

tubs (via tub drain or overflow): 1/4 inch cable, 1 1/2" or 2" pipe, 2' to 20' distance, hair
                    k-39 pf. will be great and faster. i use 5/16'' cable.

occaisional floor drains, vanities, etc when jetter for some reason not what I want to use (via fd c/o, thru fd trap, or pulled p-trap): 3/8 cable in bigger drum machine, 2" pipe, distances to (rarely beyond 30') 40', old hardened grease, objects (bottletops, straws, busted glass, bar detritus), hair

the k-60 will also run 5/8'' sectional/ k-50 cable. perfect for traps. strong and flexible.

toilet lines within multi-unit complexes (via pulled potty or occaisionally opened no hub): 1/2" cable on same drum machine, 3" or 4" pipe, distances to 60' (rarely beyond 40'), paper and solids, paper towels, stuff what got flushed and shouldn't have

k-60 with 7/8'' cable i've done 150' no problem.

main lines for single family homes or for multi unit buildings (via ext c/o, pulled toilet, c/o in crawlspace or basement): 4" pipe, same set up as above, distances to 100', clogs as above and roots. limited to about 70' on most roots as cable wont take required torque beyond that distance.

see above answer (k-60)

main lines as above but bigger pipe and or longer distances, especially roots at 65'+, or where the jetter won't pop the clog: 3/4" cable on a big drum machine, distances to 250'

the k-60 won't be good/ safe for larger than 4'' pipe and 150'. either the 1500 or back to your drum.

rumor has it that they are playing with a stiffer 7/8'' cable. time will tell

I never work from roofs; I prefer to pull a toilet.

unless you're on a snow covered roof or 2 stories up a ladder. you will love the roof and the ease of it. i can do a roof now from getting out of the truck, to getting paid in 45 minutes i can carry the machine in 1 hand and the 75' in the other. then i climb the ladder with only 1 item at a time. i do have to hold onto the ladder. i'm not spiderman

Mainly I am interested in replacing the space hogging and heavy 3/4" drum machine with something compact I can carry on the van all the time (the 3/4 drum machine lives at the shop until needed due to space constraints) and lighter to save my back.

correct. also provides for a large safety factor. no overrun or spinning of cables when released.

thanks again, Alex
                    there is a learning curve for any new machine. the 7/8'' cable will do a great job for replacing your 1/2'' and 3/4'' cables. the 3/4'' drum cable does have a stiffer feel. and in a tug of war. the 3/4'' is stronger. most 3/4'' innercore is rated for 8'' pipe some 10''.

the 7/8'' is more of a high speed cutter. you play it like fishing. get a bite and pull back. continue till more bites and work it. don't bite off more than it can handle at a time. the cutter and cable will do the cleaning and cutting. roots will be both on the cutter and the cable sections.

the advantage i see here is that this machine will be able to stay on your truck and perform just about everything you mentioned. except for those 250' runs.
                    you will be very happy with the k-60.

let us know what you name your machine. the "impressionator" is already taken

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X