Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tough tub drain

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
    I think out of all the tubs ive ever done maybe a handfull didnt have drum traps.
    Maybe I have just been living a sheltered life for the past 25 years of plumbing. How could I have not stumbled across one of these drum traps and you see them all the time?

So what there is a cleanout in the bathroom for access to this? Obviously you can't snake through them

What a PITA these things must be for you. Just what sediments do they actually catch?...hair?

Comment

HEY,
      You just posted a copy of ToUtahNow's first code book he used in his apprenticeship.Where did you find it?

YOUNG ADAM

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Maybe I have just been living a sheltered life for the past 25 years of plumbing. How could I have not stumbled across one of these drum traps and you see them all the time?

So what there is a cleanout in the bathroom for access to this? Obviously you can't snake through them

What a PITA these things must be for you. Just what sediments do they actually catch?...hair?

As i said before, Philly is notorious for them...usually you will see them, and they tie into lead lines....You can snake them, but it is a PITA to get the cable to go back and up into the line after the trap. I usually make my customers sign a Release Waiver before i cable them due to the lead lines. The cleanout is the lid for the drum trap...When i come to DC ill bring one for you to check out. 98% of the time the drum trap is behind a large access panel behind the bathtub, usually in a bedroom closet...Sometimes you have to drill access onto the lead line after the trap if you cant get the drum trap lid off..Then i just put a boiler plug in the access for future access. Now if you replace the drumb trap, you have to take it out all together, drum traps arent code anymore around most areas...
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Come on how could you guys not know what Durham fittings are? What do you use when you are working with Gal DWV systems? Durham fittings are cast-iron fittings with recessed threads so you have a smooth transition. The 1 1/2" p-traps are tough to get through because they are so tight at the radius. That is generally where the Ridgid 5/8" sectional cable really shines. They go through them like a standard PVC trap.

Mark
          Attached Files
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            What do you use when you are working with Gal DWV systems?
            Mark
            First I like to start with a sawzall with a metal blade attached then move onto a 18" pipe wrench followed up with a PVC adapter

We have a whole shelf full of those fittings in the back of the warehouse. I thought they were all defective because they gave me a crooked angle

Comment

First I like to start with a sawzall with a metal blade attached then move onto a 18" pipe wrench followed up with a PVC adapter

We have a whole shelf full of those fittings in the back of the warehouse. I thought they were all defective because they gave me a crooked angle
              LOL-You kids crack me up! (no pun intended)

Mark

Comment

Exactly, anytime I see a galvy drain I inform the customer it's gonna be constant trouble ..better to pay to open wall to the CI stack and replace, than years of paying drain cleaners to snake a minimal hole through the rust each time.

Comment

Mark wrote: "Come on how could you guys not know what Durham fittings are? What do you use when you are working with Gal DWV systems? Durham fittings are cast-iron fittings with recessed threads so you have a smooth transition."

Didn't I say this almost word for word earlier today?

" Durham = Fitting which has an ID matched to pipe ID for smooth flow. Also the fitting is tapped with 1/4" pitch, not 90° as with most fittings. "
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    Mark wrote: "Come on how could you guys not know what Durham fittings are? What do you use when you are working with Gal DWV systems? Durham fittings are cast-iron fittings with recessed threads so you have a smooth transition."

Didn't I say this almost word for word earlier today?

" Durham = Fitting which has an ID matched to pipe ID for smooth flow. Also the fitting is tapped with 1/4" pitch, not 90° as with most fittings. "
                    I like your definition better than mine.

Mark

Comment

Those are a bi t ch.

Comment

Working...
                      X