X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough tub drain

Did a tub today, it laughed at me for 20 min 'til I figured it out. Where drain meets overflow, insted of going straight down from overflow or straight back from drain, outlet 90'ed off sideways, then down to the trap. put snake in drain, it comes up overflow. Put snake in overflow, it comes out drain. Over and over... finally I watched thru overflow as put snake in from drain, and saw it. Bent tip of snake cable a little and fed it in from overflow, carefully snuck it out the right direction, then got caught as the massive wad of hair I pulled back from the trap wouldn't make the odd bend. Got free and puled it out in about 10 iterations of grabbing little bits of hair at a time.

Anyone else ever seen one put in this way? First time I've run into it. I've pooh-poohed the micro elsewhere, but this was an instance it would have been MUCH better than my little mirror.

-Alex
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Tough tub drain

I only see this configuration in condos. Usually the toilets will indicate the type of tub drain configuration by having a rear outlet waste.

I'm doing a renovation in a condo with this same set up right now.
    The crappy part is you can only use pressed steel tubs for these, unless you build a deck for the cast iron tub to sit on, then you will need a ladder to get in.

Tracy
    sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

huh

This had a floor discharge toilet and (sure seemed like) an iron tub not on a deck... but it was a condo, which despite this being the first ive seen a tub drain like this is the type of unit where i do most of my work. Maybe they could use the iron tub here as this is a concrete building?
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood your pipe configuration.

Tracy
        sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

have yet to see that set up, but I will tell you what, we have Durham traps here, very hard to get past sometimes, then whats worse, is when the original installer used a flat tee, instead of a santee, so once you get past the trap, you have to rock your cable backwards, and drop down the barrel of the tee.

Luckily, I can feel the difference now, I know when I hit these flat tee's and know what to dao, back in the day when I first started, it was a pain in the butt, I hated tub stoppages with a passion, now, for the most part, they are easy
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Not familiar with the durham trap, unless it's another name for these 100 year old lead bottle things I see once in a rare while. I took one out of a tub, had to dig out a dirt crawlspace to get to it... utterly uncleanable without removing it. I should have saved it.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the term Durham trap either. I probably see one every day just didn't know what it's called.

Flat tee? what's dat?

I feel like such a newbie sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                have yet to see that set up, but I will tell you what, we have Durham traps here, very hard to get past sometimes, then whats worse, is when the original installer used a flat tee, instead of a santee, so once you get past the trap, you have to rock your cable backwards, and drop down the barrel of the tee.

Luckily, I can feel the difference now, I know when I hit these flat tee's and know what to dao, back in the day when I first started, it was a pain in the butt, I hated tub stoppages with a passion, now, for the most part, they are easy
                Ok im going to take a guess here, maybe ive been calling it wrong for the last 13yrs. Durham trap....same as DRUM TRAP???? am i calling it wrong

Drum trap is the trap behind the tub that collects the solid waste. There is a screw down C/O on top that is almost impossible to take off if its never been off...Philadelphia is notorious for them....Very Very Very common to see drum traps around here....but not on the new houses..just the old...You have to take the lid off, get the cable to go backwards in the pipe.
                Attached Files
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I don't think it's the same Gregg.

I've heard the Westies speak of a Durham 90 as well. Maybe when they finally get out of bed one will fill us in.

Comment

http://books.google.com/books?id=0n1...FSfs4C2CrzxHc8

page 63

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I'm not familiar with the term Durham trap either. I probably see one every day just didn't know what it's called.

Flat tee? what's dat?

I feel like such a newbie sometimes
                      I'm thinking:

Durham = Fitting which has an ID matched to pipe ID for smooth flow. Also the fitting is tapped with 1/4" pitch, not 90° as with most fittings.

Flat TEE = not a DWV TEE

-------
                      On another note, this is post 2222 for me.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 12-23-2007, 11:35 AM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

Thanks for the link, you learn something new everyday...i love it....Never seen one of the those...maybe just a west coast thing..pretty sure they arent out here. Crack you would know better then i ...are they around this area????
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

That was a good link by Ace

Looks like a regular running trap to me.

Gregg I'm 90 miles from Philly and I have never worked on tub that had a drum trap.

Comment

Gregg I'm 90 miles from Philly and I have never worked on tub that had a drum trap.

I just meant, being an East Coast thing...I think out of all the tubs ive ever done maybe a handfull didnt have drum traps.

Comment

We see 'em all the time in Boston, don't use 'em any more but they were all the craze 40 + years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X