X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right angle grinder

A while ago some guys were talking about using a right angle grinder to cut through cast instead of a cracker. Thanks a million. It worked great for me today. One of those things I couldn't believe I didn't think of on my own. A lot cheaper than a cast cracker also. Now to find big enough wheels to make a pass from the top all the way through 4". No problem with the 3" today though.

Re: Right angle grinder

Get a rescue saw. That's what usually use. http://www.stihlusa.com/construction/TS400.html
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the 14'' saw will cut 5'' o.d.

the chain saw i have will do 14'' od from 1 side

funny story a couple years back.
      i had my buddies son helping me for the day while he was out of school. i had to install 10 cleanouts and snake the lines 6 hours since the pipe was old, i used my 14'' saw with an abrasive wheel. of course people were still running the water down the waste lines. i put on my tyvex disposable overalls to keep me dry problem was they tore right down the middle exposing my zipper to my plumbers crack what i didn't realize was the cast iron grindings were rusting onto my pants/ jeans under the tyvex.

of course it looked like i cr@pped in my pants. my helper sort of told me that i was dirty, but not until we had stopped at costco for a hot dog and coke, walked around the store and even sat on the display couches, did i realize how dirty and nasty i looked. to this day those pants have never come clean in that region, and i'm too embarrassed to wear them in public.

now back to your issue. just cut a window into the top of the pipe to allow for the grinder to get inside of the 4'' pipe and cut from the inside out. works great for me in a ditch.

glad to see you're posting plumbing talk say hi to john tell him it's sold

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I don't cut much iron, but when I do I use a 4" angle grinder with a diamond blade for tile. like buttah. can't get all the way thru anything in one swipe with a blde this small, but I dont cut much iron. I put a nh band around it for a guide to make a straight cut. works beauty on clay drain tile also.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
          A while ago some guys were talking about using a right angle grinder to cut through cast instead of a cracker. Thanks a million. It worked great for me today. One of those things I couldn't believe I didn't think of on my own. A lot cheaper than a cast cracker also. Now to find big enough wheels to make a pass from the top all the way through 4". No problem with the 3" today though.
          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          the 14'' saw will cut 5'' o.d.
          glad to see you're posting plumbing talk say hi to john tell him it's sold

rick.
          I've had this -----> 14" Makita for 4 years now. I use it to cut through 4" CI using an abrasive blade.
          I bought a diamond blade on e**y for $60 bucks that works like a charm for cutting through concrete.
          I also bought the saw on e**y brand new in the box for $700 shipped. Back then most of the stores wanted $1000 for em.

Now Makita makes a 16" saw.

Rick, you sold the S300?

Tracy
          sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Working...
          X