X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 more drain mechine ?? from the AC guy

Since I seem destin to become at least a plumers helper ....and since Im a tool junkie...any excuse will do...I got a serious ?? for u all

This is what Im thinking...
    Doing some tub and sink cleanings today with a plumer....soo break out the sectional mechine with 1/2 cable....seemed like over kill....but company provides sectional mechine to each plumer..owner does not like the Drill/drum mechines with 1/4" cable...1 plumer has his own...others bumm it when they need it....talk around the shop is letting me lose on occasion to do drain cleanings to free up the plumers for other jobs when we get backed up....Im still designated jack hammer and shovel monkey.....cool with me. I was thinking also about a condo job were sinks on each unit were back to back and we had a royal pain getting the 1/2 cable to drop down the stack...kept just going stright out... and a few other situations were the big sectioanl mechine was over kill....and luging it and rolls of cable was soooo much fun

Sooooo been looking at a few "cheap"....sinces its out of my pocket....mechines for the light work...like tubs..kitchen sinks...stuff like that.....under 50ft....figure useing it a few times a week at most...Dont want to be embarased when real plumers at shop see my new toy....but dont want too drop a grand on a K-60....especialy since we use General I-95 sectioanls as shop issue...

Thinking something like the Rigid Auto spin..or maybe if things pick up and I hit 40 hours a few weeks in a row....just slow now..no one geting 40....maybe something like a General Mini-rooter......

Just wanted some sugestions...advice...guidance....lets figure $500 and under...as my goal....realy dont want to get into the shop should provide thing...been a source of grumbeling around the shop..maybe why we have a turnover problem in the plumbing section...

AGain..for light work..tubs/showers...sinks...what size cable and what mechines would u recomend...

Thanks all.

Re: 1 more drain mechine ?? from the AC guy

You need one that runs both 1/4", 5/16", or 3/8" cables
    it depends on if you want hand held, which gets to your wrist
    after awhile of runnning.

Or one that you can balance on the floor, or counters,

that is usally the best kind i have used both and like them both, a small GORLITZ MODEL GO 250-350 RUNS 1/4" X 35'

and change drum to run 3/8" x 60' it comes with a footpedal
    so you can keep both hands on sewer cable,

JERRYMAC MASTERPLUMBER
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

K39AF you can find these on ebay for about 200. They can handle all the cable sizes that jerrymac mentioned above. Rick, aren't you glad I told you about the K-39 since you were using that boat anchor k-40. Or was it other way around? No matter, the important thing is that we're both happy with our K-39's.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just to add a little more. The ridgid innercore 5/16" cable is my favorite. Works very well for 2" and under. I have and use the power spin with great success for going into the w/o. This is the only thing I would use this snake for.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I use a general super vee 1/4 for showers and tubs, and a sparten 100, 3/8 for kitchen sinks and floor drains, and a mainline machine with 3/4 cable.

These are three very important machines to have on your truck.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

A Spartan 81 would work very nice. Small, can sit it upright or stand it on its side...I use it for kitchen sinks, bathtubs, lav sinks...can hold up to 50ft of 5/16 cable, or 35ft 5/16 or 1/4 cable....pretty light...has an air foot pedal, forward and reverse...I have been using that machine for over 10yrs now, and not once have had any problems with it.

Greg
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              K39AF you can find these on ebay for about 200. They can handle all the cable sizes that jerrymac mentioned above. Rick, aren't you glad I told you about the K-39 since you were using that boat anchor k-40. Or was it other way around? No matter, the important thing is that we're both happy with our K-39's.

ya, it was the other way around

as far as a hand held machine. the k-39pf is a very good choice up to 2'' pipe. 3/8''x 35' cable. i prefer the 5/16'' with inner core and bulb head. it's flexible enough to get around tight traps.
              the power feed is unique as the drum rotates the same clockwise direction and the cable will feed in or out instantly.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have K39, Super Vee and a Milwaukee. They are okay buy I prefer a K-50 with the canisters. That way I can run 5/16" or 3/8" as a top snake and still use the K-50 for running the 5/8".

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

...im surprised that i havent heard anyone mention the erichson top-snake with 1/4" cable in it....iwhen i started it it retired my Spartan with the auto-spin because it is ALOT lighter and can do things others cant that were mentioned beforehand....if you have a bathroom sink stopage you DO NOT have to take the p-trap apart, just run it down the sink drainpipe..it has a special 'drop-head' that will ALLWAYS go down...so far all of thsoe back-to-back and double b/sinks can be unstopped 'very-quickly'.....i use the Spartan 100 for k'sinks/washers/floordrains...and the Spartan 300 for all mainlines...Spartans last forever..probally unstopped over 10,000 drains with the 100 and 300.....if you do alot of apartments you will need an extra drum for some of the real long lines....but now all of my apartment calls get the "jetter" without even asking so now i use the 300 mainly just on residential drains....but you need to look into the erickson top-snake........wise choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X