Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pressure Washer/ Jetter?

Drain Medic,

Exactly what setup/process do you use to jet roots... psi, flow, nozzle (I know you said warthog... which model?). You say you watch with camera... is this evry time in order to position your nozzle right or just once when you watched to see what kind of job you were doing? I now have 5.5 gpm jetters on the vans which don't do a very good job on roots but don't need tanks. I suspect flow is the problem. I am thinking of a bigger jetter specifically for roots and for frozen culverts.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I'm still confused about what happens to the rootball after you have broken it loose from the pipe. Does it just disentegrate and get flushed down the line?

Why haven't you all discussed this at lenth before?

YIKES I just totally hijacked this thread from haycad...sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        Drain Medic,

Exactly what setup/process do you use to jet roots... psi, flow, nozzle (I know you said warthog... which model?). You say you watch with camera... is this evry time in order to position your nozzle right or just once when you watched to see what kind of job you were doing? I now have 5.5 gpm jetters on the vans which don't do a very good job on roots but don't need tanks. I suspect flow is the problem. I am thinking of a bigger jetter specifically for roots and for frozen culverts.
        The warthog off my trailer jetter is 3500 psi, at 14gallons per min, i use the 3/8 nozzle without a skid so i can do 3in pipe and its affective up to 8in pipe. I put the camera in the pipe with the nozzle go from joint to joint. I watch the nozzle cut the roots out with the camera...for a before and after shot, i position the camera about 4ft away so i dont harm the camera. I do alot of frozen pipes , but i wont use the warthog for that, i have a forward piercing nozzle for the ice i use..and put hot water in the tank (trailer).
        Attached Files
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I'm still confused about what happens to the rootball after you have broken it loose from the pipe. Does it just disentegrate and get flushed down the line?

The roots will flow into the Municipal sewer. I call the Municipality that im working when im done to tell them that i flushed roots out of the system, if alot, and they come out without hesitation to jet their line...They actually require a phone call in most municipalities if you encounter tree roots for them to clean their lines
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Actually we have, under Drain Cleaning discussion, there are threads on water jetting, warthogs, rootx

Comment

No Problem Plumbers Crack I Have The Same Questions
              Mike
              Clark County Plumbing And Drain
              www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                Actually we have, under Drain Cleaning discussion, there are threads on water jetting, warthogs, rootx
                Oh come on, you know the only people that read the Drain Cleaning Discussions threads are you Worm Wranglers

lol worm wranglers I just made that up

laughing at my own jokes...this is sad

Comment

crack, bring a notebook on the 5'th and we'll talk jetting.

a jetter is basically a pressure washer with some bells and whistles.

gpm is usually more important than psi.

hoses and nozzles make all the difference in the world.

the wrong hose and you can't get to the stoppage. the wrong nozzle and you can't clear the stoppage.

3000 psi is more than plenty to cut roots. just place your hand in front of a 3000# jet and you'll see what i mean. ( actually don't do this, i had it happen to my hand when i got too close and it will pierce your skin out to the other side)

the gpm is what cleans and washes out the pipe. sort of along the same lines as a low flow toilet

crack come early to dinner as we can cram for the big test

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Oh come on, you know the only people that read the Drain Cleaning Discussions threads are you Worm Wranglers

lol worm wranglers I just made that up

laughing at my own jokes...this is sad

Get that jetter, and welcome to the worm farm...Start reading, there is a ton of good information in there....Im going to test you on the 19th as well

Comment

I have 3700psi at 3.5gpm and it's just not enough gpm to be effective on main lines and roots. As someone said the other day, it pretty much just washes the roots. When I ordered the nozzles the guy asked me to double check the the gpm because he didn't think they went that low.
                      The holes in the nozzle are very specific to the gpm. I think I may have got nozzles for a 4gpm as some nozzles work great and others just suck.
                      It works great on 2" lines and frozen mains. The low gpm is great when doing frozen lines because I get less water coming back.
                      So it has it's uses but those uses are limited. It has more then paid for it's self (only paid $300 at a fire sale and it's the same as a Dewalt just different color).
                      I'm planning to look at some bigger models at the pumper show.

Won't be many frozen mains this year as another 10" of snow falling today
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Ok I spent some time this morning going over past threads on jetting

I understand the importance of matching the equipment to the type of jetting I'll be doing. GPM more important than PSI. Using the proper nozzles for different stoppages. I drifted off to sleep when you all started talking about jetters mounted on trailers and the wonders of the Warthog nozzles.

When you first walk into a house and find a kitchen sink, laundry, main sewer, whatever. What is the deciding factor that makes you grab the jetter over a cable? It just seems to me putting a 4 gpm hose in a pipe already stopped up, makes for a mess

Maybe I just don't want to snake drains anymore and I'm looking for an easier alternative. Nevermind that it takes longer to set up. The only thing I hate worse than my K-50 right now is the K-1500

When chosing hoses, I'll need a foot petal right to operate? Pulsing seems to be overated is this really the case?

Won't the rubber hose bind up in the sewer bends and make it difficult to feed?

Does the hose need to be pushed or is it completely self feeding?

Can you tell I'm a complete novice at this?

Can you jet from a 3", 2" floor drain with trap? If so, does size of hose or head make a difference?

What about 4" running traps?

I deal with mostly old cast iron and galvanized pipes. What are the dangers of scouring the rust off the inside creating a leak?

I saw a root nozzle that had chains and whips attached to it...WTH is that about? Just seems like it would tangle up.

Since when do sewers freeze?

I'm a sponge....feed me!

Comment

Crack, ill give you a call this week and answer some of those questions for you. BTW, Congrats on turning 1000 today

Comment

hose is self feeding for the most part, sometimes requires a helping hand here and thear depending on distance.

I have two foot peddles. I don't use them. I have a hose reel that has a valve on it. Good safety feature though.

The hose can make quite a few bends without binding. The hose(good ones anyway) are made of a different compound that allows for better sliding( for lack of better words).

Sewers freeze all the time here. In a good year the frost will drive down 5-6 feet. Only at 2' right now and we have a ton of snow on the ground that acts like a blanket insulating the ground and keeping the frost from driving down. More common for mains on septic systems to freeze because they have a tendency to be shallow while town systems are usually 5'-8' deep here.
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The only thing I hate worse than my K-50 right now is the K-1500
                              Maybe you should get a few self feeding drum machines
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Ok I spent some time this morning going over past threads on jetting

I understand the importance of matching the equipment to the type of jetting I'll be doing. GPM more important than PSI. Using the proper nozzles for different stoppages. I drifted off to sleep when you all started talking about jetters mounted on trailers and the wonders of the Warthog nozzles.

When you first walk into a house and find a kitchen sink, laundry, main sewer, whatever. What is the deciding factor that makes you grab the jetter over a cable? It just seems to me putting a 4 gpm hose in a pipe already stopped up, makes for a mess
                                correct. typically if it's a kitchen with an outside c/o, then the mess is outside till you get it cleared. waste water will back up until cleared. if you cable a line first, then jetting will be clean. 95% of my jobs are cabled over jetting.
                                i like to use the jetter for preventative cleaning on condo buildings in sub-terrainan garages.
                                Maybe I just don't want to snake drains anymore and I'm looking for an easier alternative. Nevermind that it takes longer to set up. The only thing I hate worse than my K-50 right now is the K-1500
                                you need the "impressionator"
                                you need the k-60

When chosing hoses, I'll need a foot petal right to operate? Pulsing seems to be overated is this really the case?

a foot pedal on a smaller machine is what i use.
                                without a pedal, it's just like running a drill without a switch and you then unplug it. the pedal can be used to create instant pulse.
                                pulsing is typically used to gain distance as it breaks the friction. turning the hose is what typically gets you past a bend or tuff spot. pulsing the foot pedal is the trick.

Won't the rubber hose bind up in the sewer bends and make it difficult to feed?
                                true on smaller lines and smaller machines. on these i prefer stainless steel braided hoses.

Does the hose need to be pushed or is it completely self feeding? combination of both. at first it's self feeding. as more line and offsets get encountered, you help feed/ push it to get more distance.

Can you tell I'm a complete novice at this?
                                not really. just very curious as all of us were learning something new.

Can you jet from a 3", 2" floor drain with trap? If so, does size of hose or head make a difference?

i try to avoid small traps. but there are special trap hoses and nozzles with spring leaders on them.

What about 4" running traps?
                                much easier as it's larger and it's a running trap over a p trap.

I deal with mostly old cast iron and galvanized pipes. What are the dangers of scouring the rust off the inside creating a leak?
                                you're not really scouring the rust off. you're cleaning the softer material and muck off.

I saw a root nozzle that had chains and whips attached to it...WTH is that about? Just seems like it would tangle up.
                                you sure that was a root nozzle

these are designed for beating the pipe and knocking off the debris. the warthog is strictly water running in a slow rotation to clean.

Since when do sewers freeze?
                                not out here
                                I'm a sponge....feed me!
                                on the 5th.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X