X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thank You Double Blade!!!!!!

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
    Double bladed, are you insane!!
    thanks for the heads up. roberts term for double blade is not what you are thinking. it's a normal pear cutter with 2 cutting edges. the same as they sell at every single supply house and sewer machine.

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    Rick says he does it all the time, so I figured I would listen to the master, and see, twice I broke my rule and twice I got stuck.

Luckily I have fixed the customers problem at the same time so they were very pleased.
    robert it must not be your lucky day. as every sewer i clean i use a normal 2 bladed cutter, as is pictured by all clear.

a 1/2 blade is only doing a marginal job of cleaning as there is too much play for the blade to get past the roots. there have been times when i have used 2- sets of cutters, but that is only after i have camered the line.

i also use a 4'' x 3'' cutter on 90% of my 4'' lines. this has to be adapted for use on the k-60 as it requires a special blade hole.

now since i already got 2 phone calls tonight, i figured it was time to check what all the commotion was about.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Why not use a spiral root saw?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

yes a spiral root saw is also a great choice. the root saw is much more expensive of a blade. if the 4x3'' doesn't get it. the root saw will.

ridgid makes a nice one, but at $15. for the blade only or $30. with the holder it's not cheap.

a 4x3 cost me a few dollars and takes less then 1 minute to mill it out.

generic blades are plentyful and inexpensive. ridgid blades are spendy and hard to come by at supply houses.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

robert it must not be your lucky day. as every sewer i clean i use a normal 2 bladed cutter, as is pictured by all clear. or good luck, depends on how you look at it, besides, I did my customers a favor by fixing it, and not just comming back once a year to clean it and inconveniece them.

a 1/2 blade is only doing a marginal job of cleaning as there is too much play for the blade to get past the roots. there have been times when i have used 2- sets of cutters, but that is only after i have camered the line. sure, thats probably true. I am running "2 bladed cutter" every mainline now, lot's of repairs coming up in the future.

rick.[/quote]
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Okay, my mistake. Im picturing Rob using 2 - C cutter blades stacked on top of each other. Thats why the look.

I use 2in C cutter blade on my Spartan 2001 everytime i run it. In fact the only 2 blades i put on the machine is a 2 in and 4 in C blade. I fear a single razor type blade will get stuck, and not do as good of a cleaning.

I will use a 2in C cutter on all 4in lines that i know have roots in it. I Just bend the leader so that it scrapes the entire diameter of the pipe. Then camera the pipe to get a look at how severe the roots are. If they are that bad, its Warthog time.

Rob nothing wrong with using a C cutter. You just ran into a monster root ball. But like you said, you did the customer a favor, the pipe wouldve needed to be replaced anyway. Sorry for the mix up.......rookie
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Not only will a one blade not clean the sewer but it will also do damage. I have had to camera a few sewers that out local roto rooter left because they were using a one blade on orangeburg. A one blade will distroy orangeburg!

I will never use a one blade on anything!
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Im pretty sure any blade, even no blade will destroy orangeburg. That stuff is nasty. I had my line replaced several yrs ago, and it was orangeburg. I crushed it in my hands, it was oval too. Alot of orangeburg around my local area. I have to let every customer know is this local area that there is a possibility of orangeburg, and that they need to sign a waiver before i cable it. Knock on wood, most of the time there isnt a problem.
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

If you use your head and don`t rush it, orangeburg shouldnt be a problem as long as someone hasn`t used a 1 balde in front of you. I bet I clean 300 to 400 of em a year and dont have any problem.

Comment

i see maybe 5-10 a year

and its usually 3in. most of the time will use a Spartan 100 with a blade on it. The runs are usually anywhere btwn 10-25ft., once in a blue moon does it go past 50ft. Ive never broken one, but scares the hell out of me when i run into em.

I would say the ones that i do run, 85% of them get replaced due to age, and material.

Comment

fortunately the majority of orangebird i see here is used on outside area drains and not sewers.

the few i have repaired are not fun trying to tie into a not so round pipe.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

The one`s I get are 4" main lines and are 100 to 150` long with a 45 on the end where it`s connected to the city sewer.

Most of the time it goes like this:
                        95` straight then 45 down, then 5` to the main. The 45 is always the problem as most of the time they are ate out from cleaning the sewer.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                          If you use your head and don`t rush it, orangeburg shouldnt be a problem as long as someone hasn`t used a 1 balde in front of you. I bet I clean 300 to 400 of em a year and dont have any problem.
                          I'm impressed! Anytime I see that junk I'm pretty much resigned to digging.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X