X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hiring good help

People pretty much reflect their atmosphere.I just tried to bring a youngster in this past month.I invested in him sincerely,at times paying him only to watch and learn.Because of the sincerity I was lucky that this one figured out on his own and made the choice to quickly move on instead of trying to "milk it".PHEW!!!

In general,employees that don't care usually work for companies that don't care,whatever the circumstances.

We always find someone who works out.

It's just a ROYAL PAIN when your smaller or just starting out

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
      Just scares me, since it will all be new. Im not looking for a partner...Just someone i can trust to help me out. Everyone has made great points on this thread. Im really going to think about what i need to do.

greg, don't you want to move out to warm, sunny, southern calif

i was looking for someone who knows their $hit.

we could clean up the drain cleaning business together

i'm sitting next to my phone.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        greg, don't you want to move out to warm, sunny, southern calif

i'm sitting next to my phone.

rick.

Dude, if you can convince the wife, which should not be hard at all, Ill move to sunny Cali. Ill get Zeljka to get me a nice house out there

Id have to hear what kind of offers Robert and Adam have

Let the bidding begin
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Dude, if you can convince the wife, which should not be hard at all, Ill move to sunny Cali. Ill get Zeljka to get me a nice house out there

Let the bidding begin
          I'd be careful Greg. If he has so much work why is he sitting by his phone instead of on the job.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Par for the course.
            Going through ten new guys to find the one worth keeping.
            Mark up pricing to include the time loss of having those 9 take twice the time until the 10th makes it profitable and hopefully becomes the "pace car" for other employee's that see he's being rewarded.

My second to last shop before self employment, I had a problem.
            At one point we were told we were under the gun...wayyyy behind and needed to pick up the pace.
            I went to one unit to work, while my apprentice was prepping the next, I thought I'd come up with a great way to make us both much more productive to do some catching up....even get a little OT in showing we were producing.
            Worked like a dog for 1-1/2 hours, finished my unit and jumped over with my tools to the next where my apprentice was.
            Nothing had been done, he was in the middle of showing three other apprentices his break dance moves (apparently that crap made a come back a few years back).
            I told him that I'd just broken my back to get my job done...that he was not only slowing me down, but three others as well, and the boss was going to come down on me...not them.
            His reply..."Dude...I'll get to it when I'm done here.".
            I had a talk with the boss, told him I was more productive alone..he let me work alone from that point and I proved my point.
            I'd created a problem at that point...I was labelled the "company man".
            The apprentices started to dislike me over this, that was a given.
            The boss's interest was in keeping all parties happy, to this day I'll say he's, bar none, the NICEST guy I ever worked for.
            The trouble was that he was never on the job long, big company, too many projects to check in on and he could only discern trouble from what he was told.
            I wound up quitting..when I told him, it was one of the hardest things I ever told a boss.
            Partly felt lke I was jumping ship, especially knowing how fair he was..paid great too.
            In the end, I had to see that I was counter-productive to the whole...the bottom line was that the chemistry was different at that shop and I was the odd man out.
            The remorseful thought was that once I was gone, the inmates would really start running the asylum.
            My point, there's a line...know that line and make sure you have the respect of your guys...but also let them know you are fair.
            Too much of one or the other and it's all uphill.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              I'd be careful Greg. If he has so much work why is he sitting by his phone instead of on the job.

Mark
              LOL...just what I was thinking!

Comment

Let the bidding begin
                lets see move to cali houses 4 times more then here ,a lot more traffic ,a lot more people ,higher cost of living but there are some nice people out there
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                  But then you'd have to raise your rates!
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Well, im almost to the point where im going to hire a part time guy. A guy to work weekends, and acouple days out of the week.

I dont know if i should hire someone to train, or hire experience.

My deal is, i want him to work to my standards, i want him to follow MY procedures.

I dont want to be scared if i hire someone with experience and have that guy set in his ways, and do things how he wants. I dont want to have to worry 24-7, (i know im going to, whatever i decide)

But if i hire no experience, then its at least months till i send him on the road by himself...

Just wanted to pick some of the brains of the people who have employees

Greg
                    Greg,
                    The fears you're feeling are natural. But, at some point, you have to make some decisions. You also have to be careful about whose advice you take at this stage.

Always ask yourself... Is the person giving me advice about my future already achieving what I want to achieve? Are they the right source for the answers I'm looking for?

We're all different. Some love being on the truck and having complete control. That's OK -it's an honorable trade, but is that what YOU want? They love the techie side of the business. Others say, I'm a businessperson first.

If your goal is to be wealthy or at least comfortable in your old age then you have to multiply yourself. You need a team making money for you. You need to build your business. You need an exit strategy. You need a plan. You can't be a Lone Ranger. At some point, you're body is going to break down. It happens to all of us.

It's real easy to say "anyone I hire sucks". Are looking for the easy way out, Greg? If that's where you're at then stay where you are and complain about being over-worked, never having any time off and missing all of the family time. Keep telling yourself that you and only you can do those service calls. Be a prisoner of your own company.

If you want to be the businessperson, well then, start developing the business skills if you haven't already.

Hiring only experienced guys isn't all that it's cracked up to be. You have to deal with all of the bad habits and baggage they bring in. Hiring inexperienced guys isn't always as bad as people say it is either. They can be shaped and molded. We were all newbies at some point. They don't know the bad habits yet. But, that’s just another decision you're going to have to make. What does your company need right now?

So, which is it, Greg? Technician or Businessman?

Maybe you should just hire a helper for now, let him ride with you and share in the grunt work. Ease into it and show him your way. Even the Lone Ranger needed Tonto.

Whatcha gonna do when deciding your future comes down on you?
                    Last edited by Pete M; 01-12-2008, 07:34 PM.
                    Pete
                    Drain Biz
                    Articles, Videos, Industry News

Comment

I have worn all the hats in the drain cleaning business. From Tech, to Dispatcher, CSR, to Field Supervisor. When i 1st started this buisness, of course i was the tech, the manager and the businessman.

Im totally the businessman right now. I work on the business as much as i can right now, but i also have to work IN the business right now. Once i start getting to where i want to be (hopefully getting there now) then i will totally work on the business.

I understand what your saying, and im taking those steps.

I honor alot of the opinions from the guys that give them on here. They know what they are doing, and most have been doing it along time. I like to listen to the OPINIONS of the other guys on here. I may totally do something out of left field and not go anywhere near what anybody has stated on here. This is my business, and in less then 1yr i went from unmarked 20yr old van with 2nd hand equip. to Brand new van with top of the line equip, water jetters, trailors.

Keep your eye out for the April edition of The Cleaner Mag You'll be seeing a nice write up.

Thanks for your info Pete, You seem very knowledgable on the aspect of the business. Im sure ill have more for you

Greg
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                        mark, you know what i mean. all my buddies are on my fav 5

so sitting by my phone is truly sitting by my phone. nextel beep beep

greg, adam doesn't own a snake, and robert doesn't own a k-60

plus, i do pipe bursting and you might like that

see you at the ridgid round up. we can talk

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Well, im almost to the point where im going to hire a part time guy. A guy to work weekends, and acouple days out of the week.
                          Where in the world are you going to find a part time plumber?

I've never heard of such an animal

I'm with Adam. Get 'em green and mold him to your standards if you can but good luck with that

Training is much easier than untraining

If you are still considering the West Coast move. Take a few a few pointers from a east coast city slicker that just spent some time there.

The pay is roughly the same as here for a seasoned mechanic. yea, I checked the help wanted section...just curious (Bill Howe Plumbing anygood?)

Cost of living maybe slighly higher.

You will need 2 things to live in Southern Cali: a dog without a leash and a surfboard on top of your work truck. Oh, get rid of the alarm clock. These people sleep til 10
                          Last edited by plumberscrack; 01-13-2008, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Me, those are the hours I work, now if only we could do something about this Navy thing, I'd be a great fit.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

hurry up adam
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

I'm with Adam. Get 'em green and mold him to your standards if you can but good luck with that

Training is much easier than untraining

If you are still considering the West Coast move. Take a few a few pointers from a east coast city slicker that just spent some time there.

The pay is roughly the same as here for a seasoned mechanic. yea, I checked the help wanted section...just curious (Bill Howe Plumbing anygood?)

Cost of living maybe slighly higher.

You will need 2 things to live in Southern Cali: a dog without a leash and a surfboard on top of your work truck. Oh, get rid of the alarm clock. These people sleep til 10
                                O/K,
                                You got 1 out of three on me Crack.I've got six hours invested in the day before ten.Gave the $300 surfboard away after trying it for the first time.Easier to train our little Snoopy than to repeatedly keep hooking and unhooking our companion.

I don't have Bill Howe up here in our area.What made him stand out to you?

Comment

Working...
                                X