Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hiring good help

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    hurry up adam
    One of these days I'm gonna get you on my job with a set of bags.Then your going to hear some serious motivational speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      I don't have Bill Howe up here in our area.What made him stand out to you?
      I saw a few in of his trucks San Diego. For all I know he might be the Roto Rooter of the west

Nice, clean, well organized trucks. Handsome man behind the wheel. Had a sign saying "Expierienced Plumbers Needed" So I chatted him up a bit while he changed into his wetsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        One of these days I'm gonna get you on my job with a set of bags.Then your going to hear some serious motivational speaking.

look forward to it. plus i would have picked up your new rotary bosch bulldog drill too

don't i owe you some job time

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-13-2008, 06:54 PM. Reason: adam didn't know the punchline.
        phoebe it is

Comment

look forward to it. plus i would have picked up your new rotary bosch bulldog drill too

don't i owe you some job time

rick.
          If I told you once I've told you a hundred times.

With everything that you have shared with me.

I owe you Rick

Comment

Aw, you guys, bring a tear to my eye.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

greg, don't you want to move out to warm, sunny, southern calif

i was looking for someone who knows their $hit.

we could clean up the drain cleaning business together

i'm sitting next to my phone.

rick.
              You have told that to so many other people Rick, Do you wanna start a major drain cleaning company? are you sure steve will have the customers for all these new guy's?
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                You have told that to so many other people Rick, Do you wanna start a major drain cleaning company? are you sure steve will have the customers for all these new guy's?

just greg and gene. only those 2.

not steve, me

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Attitude! I'll take an easy going, good attitude anytime over experience! To many guys have bad attitudes towards people.

Comment

[QUOTE=plumberscrack;116003]I saw a few in of his trucks San Diego. For all I know he might be the Roto Rooter of the west

Very true, they are the biggest plumbing company in San Diego I believe with over 50 trucks.

More work for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                      Well, im almost to the point where im going to hire a part time guy. A guy to work weekends, and acouple days out of the week.

I dont know if i should hire someone to train, or hire experience.

My deal is, i want him to work to my standards, i want him to follow MY procedures.

I dont want to be scared if i hire someone with experience and have that guy set in his ways, and do things how he wants. I dont want to have to worry 24-7, (i know im going to, whatever i decide)

But if i hire no experience, then its at least months till i send him on the road by himself...

Just wanted to pick some of the brains of the people who have employees

Greg

Once sat in on a seminar presented by a major remodeling trade organization (don't remember which one it was years ago). According to surveys they had sent out to their members, it was concluded that the unskilled/inexperienced workers actually cost their employers money instead of making them a profit until slightly beyond the first year. My experience verifies that as well. Just had an employee of almost two years leave due to a blowup we had over his worsening attitude (young guy beginning to party too much, and that's typical, but not acceptable to my business plan). With the economy this grim, I plan on using some plumbers I know working for other companies, (although I don't know any of them I would hire full time anyway and many of whom I actually got jobs for when working for other companies) on a part-time basis as-needed and when they want to work (although It's a pain in the arse but right now the best solution I have.) That's one of the way's McDonalds is able to recruite help, by letting people set their own schedules (after all who really wants to work there). It means scheduling more work late in the evenings when other help is available, but I'm not locked in to that full-time obligation. I try to do my service work in the mornings and work on new work or larger jobs in the evenings when more help is available. I realize many people don't like that long of a day, which was one of the problems with my last helper even though he was paid time and a half. But hey what else can you do? The younger generations are f*#!ked and each one gets worse! Another good lesson I learned at that seminar was the correlation between the size of a company and the profit margin. You have to stay small or go big. The medium sized companies have a disadvantage.

I went through many employees in the remodeling business also and two partners to boot. I will be staying small and investing in other things as well. Diversify!

Comment

Hey Dpiper,

I'm right up north of you about 18 miles.

That last statement, diversify is exactly what I'm doing to make a buck. I'll be set up down there at the wool festival in falmouth this year if it is as hot as it was last year. (92 degrees on October 3rd)
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          Hey Dpiper,

I'm right up north of you about 18 miles.

That last statement, diversify is exactly what I'm doing to make a buck. I'll be set up down there at the wool festival in falmouth this year if it is as hot as it was last year. (92 degrees on October 3rd)
                          I've seen your truck at the supply house before. I thought that might be you as I've been trying to read all the previous post on this forum (there's a $hit-load of em!) (Hope Rick doesn't mind if I borrow his "$hit"). I see your pretty active on here as well. I also came across your website awhile back. Looks like your well established and got your $hit together. I'm sure we'll meet up soon. I'll be looking forward to it. BTW I'm dba Mullins Plumbing.

Live really close to the Wool Fest. but only been once. What kinda booth do you have? Isn't it pretty much craft and Appalachian history oriented.

Comment

Originally posted by DPiper View Post
                            I've seen your truck at the supply house before. I thought that might be you as I've been trying to read all the previous post on this forum (there's a $hit-load of em!) (Hope Rick doesn't mind if I borrow his "$hit"). I see your pretty active on here as well. I also came across your website awhile back. Looks like your well established and got your $hit together. I'm sure we'll meet up soon. I'll be looking forward to it. BTW I'm dba Mullins Plumbing.

Live really close to the Wool Fest. but only been once. What kinda booth do you have? Isn't it pretty much craft and Appalachian history oriented.

Yeah I think I've seen the truck at Wilder Winnelson a few times. I started a second company offering misting fans to the tri-state area and now it sounds likes it's going to be on a larger scale from the offers I'm getting. This summer I'm setting up units down at Terry's supply house to see if it helps those guys in the warehouse.

I won't have a booth at the wool festival, just fans if the temperature calls for it this year. I do have a way with the sheep, favorite pasttime.

I don't work much in campbell county, mostly fort thomas and select areas off upper parts of 27. It's just not my focus over there and I run more towards boone and kenton counties. Residential service, that's it.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                            X