X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring good help

Well, im almost to the point where im going to hire a part time guy. A guy to work weekends, and acouple days out of the week.

I dont know if i should hire someone to train, or hire experience.

My deal is, i want him to work to my standards, i want him to follow MY procedures.

I dont want to be scared if i hire someone with experience and have that guy set in his ways, and do things how he wants. I dont want to have to worry 24-7, (i know im going to, whatever i decide)

But if i hire no experience, then its at least months till i send him on the road by himself...

Just wanted to pick some of the brains of the people who have employees

Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Re: Hiring good help

My general strategy is as follows; I need them to be independent, able to do jobs on their own. If they are just tool carriers and drivers for me they are pointless. I can teach someone with basic mech ability and reasonable intelligence to clean drains, at least to the point I can triage calls and send them on the easy ones, in a few months. Get a year under them, and I can send them to most jobs without fear and relax a little, though I'll have to back them up on some. But I can't teach basic character; honesty, work ethic, not afraid of sewage. If you are letting them answer the phone and do calls without oversight, your business is in thier hands. I'd rather have to back up an honest, concientious, inexperienced guy on a difficult job on my day 'off' than play hall monitor all the time. Here are my results with that strategy.

I have one employee at a time, am on my third. One went out on his own; hasn't hurt me businesswise but I could use him. Offered him a part of company but it didn't happen that way. Would make it a sweeter deal to have kept him in hindsight, but I think it was bound to happen; I might have just delayed it expensively. One left for more money. Was doing less business then and couldn't pay him what he needed. He'd come back if enough work materialized. The current one has his faults but all in all is working out.

It is an expensive day or two off, and you are not REALLY off until you can let go. For me that takes a long while. I have a big investment in training; it's MORE work than just doing it all yourself for quite a while.

At a certain point, I think it better to develop a relationship with another one man show outfit you respect and trust and refer calls to him when you want time away. You might be beyond that point, or not have the right other company to work with. I've considered going back to this model, but I think we're just too big.

Some thoughts on management...
    I've found it tough to hire anyone part time. When I was at 1 1/2 guys worth of work, I hired one full time and had less money until I could grow the business some. If you get a good one, overwhelm him with generosity and keep him; I have found the hassle of finding another good person more than outweighs an extra couple $ an hour. But once you give something you can't take it back and expect to keep them. I have started them low, then when I get more sure of them up the $. Expect things not to be done just exactly as you do them; people are different. They like their tools in diferent places. Some keep things neat and some don't. I have tried to recognize employees' strengths and weaknesses and give them tasks they are good at and enjoy rather than beating them up for not being better at things they will never be great at. There are reasons I work for myself, mostly to do with not liking working for others. I struggle not to do the things that I found annoying in a boss. They will never show the same dedication you feel unless you get really lucky and find a potential partner, not an employee, and that potential will only show itself after a while.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

very well stated.

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

At a certain point, I think it better to develop a relationship with another one man show outfit you respect and trust and refer calls to him when you want time away. You might be beyond that point, or not have the right other company to work with. I've considered going back to this model, but I think we're just too big.
        Thats what I do if I really want a day off.
        My help sucks and I wouldnt ever turn em out on their own. If you find some one that can do the work they will go out on their own sonner or later.

I have only had one "Go Getter" and it`s hard to keep em!
        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 01-11-2008, 11:11 AM.
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Doesn't exist. Nobody does the job, pays the care and attention to how you'd do the job and that's just the facts jack.

I let it all go. I switched out a sump pump out last night which made my back hurt pretty bad......a water heater replacement came and went this morning when I had the phone turned off. She wasn't happy when she called 1.5 hours later but who cares; I was going to say no anyway.

I'm holding my own even though everything is a mess and things are unkept. Nothing worse than hiring help and watching your reputation get trashed because you tried to help someone out by giving them a job.

They lie about their experience and find out real quick how much they don't know....they have personal life issues either drugs or whipped with the chains to their wife/gf. Whaaaa cccccch!!! I swear.....some of them turn into women without the fancy features I swear. You can have donuts in the morning, buy them lunch and praise them all day long and it still isn't good enough, it will never be enough. lol (sorry to the women who visit the site, I tells it like it is no matter what the subject line)

Payem good, give them padded hours and you still can't get them to work 5 days a week. Overtime is for the young and hungry.....the rest want simplicity and set schedules the older they get.

And the ones you bring from down under? Leave when the bigger plumbing company in your area can always offer more than you. You either match the offer, better it or you've just been the fool to give the pains of training.

You become an instant big spender when employees enter the mix. I was an employee to numerous plumbing companies. Have to consider the inside theft, premature failure of tools and job slack time as par for the course in the idiocy of true business.

Think of the best excuse in the world and your employee will beat it, twice.

I guess I wasn't the most positive in my statements but that knowledge has me running the ship as I see fit. I'd be worse than Donald Trump on a good hair day when it comes to firing people on a moments notice.

And with that statement, you pay pay pay by getting gouged on unemployment tax. You fire somebody, lay them off you can give them a free ticket to ride at the unemployment office.....especially if they twist the facts and have to invest more time than it's worth to fight the good fight. Just easier to let it go through and pay the percentage higher fee every month. ouch
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-11-2008, 08:41 PM.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

That's a tuff call Drain Medic. I would lean toward no experience and a full time status. You could count on them and they would count on you.

You need someone that is independent and able to make tough calls but you also need someone to submit to your practices.

I am not a employer. The guy I work for is a good guy and although I may disagree with code issues, or the way to go about a job I always remember who butters my bread.

Good luck with your decision. I am glad your business is going well.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Good Luck, like the old rule goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

No one will take pride and respect your customers or equipment like you will, they will miss treat vehicles and equipment and rip off customers.

Good luck and let me know how is it goes stinky toe
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                Good Luck, like the old rule goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

No one will take pride and respect your customers or equipment like you will, they will miss treat vehicles and equipment and rip off customers.

Good luck and let me know how is it goes stinky toe

The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post

LOL sorry, you asked my opinion big guy.

I know one day I will need to go through what you are going through right at this moment. I do not look forward to it at all.

When one plans to hire help, that will be going out on their own, by themselves, without the owner, the owner needs to incorporate, the owner needs to raise all insurance coverages and the owner needs to have a very good umbrella policy.

I recommend a personal follow up call to all customers that an employee has taken care of, if you are to busy, or just do not have the time, I recommend comment cards be mailed to each customer and comments back be monitored.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    LOL sorry, you asked my opinion big guy.

I know one day I will need to go through what you are going through right at this moment. I do not look forward to it at all.

When one plans to hire help, that will be going out on their own, by themselves, without the owner, the owner needs to incorporate, the owner needs to raise all insurance coverages and the owner needs to have a very good umbrella policy.

I recommend a personal follow up call to all customers that an employee has taken care of, if you are to busy, or just do not have the time, I recommend comment cards be mailed to each customer and comments back be monitored.

Not what i was calling you a loser about...read the last line on the 1st post you posted on here

Comment

I wish you all the good luck with whatever you choose...

Comment

Just expect to go through a few guys till you find someone who meshes with your interest.Some go too fast.Some too slow..sloppy..Blah,Blah,Blah.Never do I take a guy on his word looking for a job.It takes two weeks minimum before a guy will settle down and start showing his true colors.90% sound good on the phone.50% look good for the first two weeks.10% are keepers.I like to get someone from scratch and build-em',it's a lot easier than busting down and breaking their bad habits while trying to educate them.Plus the attitude is not there.

Comment

I usually had to go through a few before I found a keeper. Even those with tons of experience had to ride with a regular for months before they got their own truck.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I've seen soooooooo many plumers come and go at the shop I work at...and I've been their 4 months....we have a pool when someone starts as to how long they last/stay. I find it amazing how many people have NO drivers lic or 2 or 3 DUI's and still apply for a job requireing driveing.....insurance company says No can drive..soo by end of first day guy is gone.

same with tools...more so in HVAC...but seen a few new hired plumers show up with just a handfull of half broken tools...of course they went on and on about all the tools they use to have....down here company does not provide tools...except big stuff.....soooooo amazed that people do not have tools to do the job they apply for.

I found this too be true of the HVAC trade as well. I got my break from Gopher to service Tech after 60 days with a company because I had 1 a clean drivers lic, my own tools and my EPA Card....we had 70 employees at that shop between new construction change out and service....2 techs went out and got a DUI and created openings...of the 70 employees....I had just completed school....so had a whole 60 days HVAC experiance....but was only one with all 3 things...so got the promotion...blew my mind that people in the trade did not have own tools or Drivers lic...even more than the lack of EPA cards at the shop....I assumed everyone had one as required by law...nope only a few people had one...others were "working on getting one".

I also find it funny how people will apply then tell owner Oh I cant work past 3pm and I do not work weekends....will not do on call....well why did u bother to fill out an applacation?????

And people who blow up the meter when the drug test results come in....why take a drug test when u know ur going to pop positive for every known drug they test for???

Good luck finding the right person....I do not envy your challange.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
                              I've seen soooooooo many plumers come and go at the shop I work at...and I've been their 4 months....we have a pool when someone starts as to how long they last/stay. I find it amazing how many people have NO drivers lic or 2 or 3 DUI's and still apply for a job requireing driveing.....insurance company says No can drive..soo by end of first day guy is gone.

same with tools...more so in HVAC...but seen a few new hired plumers show up with just a handfull of half broken tools...of course they went on and on about all the tools they use to have....down here company does not provide tools...except big stuff.....soooooo amazed that people do not have tools to do the job they apply for.

I found this too be true of the HVAC trade as well. I got my break from Gopher to service Tech after 60 days with a company because I had 1 a clean drivers lic, my own tools and my EPA Card....we had 70 employees at that shop between new construction change out and service....2 techs went out and got a DUI and created openings...of the 70 employees....I had just completed school....so had a whole 60 days HVAC experiance....but was only one with all 3 things...so got the promotion...blew my mind that people in the trade did not have own tools or Drivers lic...even more than the lack of EPA cards at the shop....I assumed everyone had one as required by law...nope only a few people had one...others were "working on getting one".

I also find it funny how people will apply then tell owner Oh I cant work past 3pm and I do not work weekends....will not do on call....well why did u bother to fill out an applacation?????

And people who blow up the meter when the drug test results come in....why take a drug test when u know ur going to pop positive for every known drug they test for???

Good luck finding the right person....I do not envy your challange.
                              Well here is the scarey part. I worked for 1 plumbing/drain cleaning co for 7 yrs, in that 7 yrs i watched at 25 employees come and go. Dodging the system, complaining, cliqueing, not wanting to work, wanting to go home early all the time, using the work trucks for personal reasons yada yada yada.

Just scares me, since it will all be new. Im not looking for a partner...Just someone i can trust to help me out. Everyone has made great points on this thread. Im really going to think about what i need to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X