X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just signed up

i just wandered over here from the ridgid site, hoping to find a used tools for sale section.i suppose you can find stuff here and thats cool. but i'm really surprised at what i'm seeing here-

what i cant beleive is that people are still debating over drum vs sectional.

i started doing drains and plumbing when i was 21 back in '97 for roto rooter(wow now i feel old) and as usual you had all these crusty old know it all guys tryin to educate you on how they were right about everything that they did. as a new guy ,i had my screw ups ,they gave you a .5" sewr machine that was like the k3800 and a 3/4" machine that was like the k6200 or 750 just not painted orange with ridgid on them.and my biggest problem was tearing up the machines - i know "i just was'nt using them right"

they had 2 divisions back then in atlanta with 70 guys . i was making quite a reputation for myself destroying these things- the big one and the little one.twisting up the cable in the basket, having them take money out of my check for splices and new cables.they made you sign for these machines and i had so much of thier stuff frankenstiened together ,they didnt know what i had.
    but at a meeting one day 1 of the top earners for the other division told me to come over to his van.he had a k60.he told me all about how it worked and i was like " yeah that all sounds fine and good but expensive" then he explains to me that i cant break it.i was like, "maybe you havent heard but uhm..."
    anyway ,to make a long story short he was a pretty cool old guy and he told me to come to his house after work and he'd give me an older version of it and i could pay him payments and if it i didnt like it he'd give me my money back, i just had to buy the cable.it wasnt a very hard sell.

these things caught alot of flak from the oldtimers,they'd say that little thing dont got enough torque and everything else.my dumb schit manager was like" you cant run secondary lines with that thing. 450 rpms'l bust the pipe.you still got to keep your small machine on your van". -idiots

the fist month i had this thing i doubled my revenues.i had zero recalls and my friend who got me the job( he was 19 at the time-youngest rotorooter guy in the country)went out and put the sp model on his credit card and he doubled his profits too.roto rooter would have these monthly meetings and we hardly ever showed up cause they called em plumbing meetings and they wouldnt let us do plumbing cause we were too "young and inexperienced".they finally said theyd fire us if we didnt show, so we came and it was a funny thing,they would give out these stupid little plaques for most revenue, highest close rate,most jobs ect. ect.

that month and for months after that we - the young and inexperienced ran circles around those old men with thier drum machines.they'd tell us we couldnt do plumbing jobs but at the end of the month they were giving us the plaques.

that was a long time ago.the funny thing here- is you people are still argueing about it????

rotorooter was a crappy company to work for. theyd try to rip you off on every paycheck.i hung in there for a couple years and when they jacked me on my last check i sold one of they're machines since they didnt know what i had to begin with.funny how i saw it coming.i didnt ever steal anything from them, but i held that machine just in case they screwed me, and they did.

i tried new construction and that didnt last long.and finally left manual labor altogether for job in a strip joint.why play in poo to afford to party, when you can just party and get paid right?i did end up doing other construction work here and there between tipped gigs ,but the business model for drains was nice,1 man, 1 truck ,1 tool, little to no parts and 3-5k per week and you dont even have to have a licsense.

in '04 i'd had enough of working for other people and started my own drain company.and well- the 3-5k wasnt there without the massive advertisiing, but it was better than working for someone. it wasnt a bed of roses, owning your own business opens you up to a whole new world of getting screwed.DONT ADVERTISE IN THE SEWER AND DRAIN SECTION OF THE YELLOW PAGES EVER.they dont care that 5 ads only got you 2 calls in a year, they still want thier money.you also have to face lady luck when your trans on your van crapps out on you too.but i wasnt giving up.i pushed through it all until 1 morning i went out to my truck to find out that somebody had unloaded it for me.all of it.the k60sp the 210' of cable, all my tools.right at the deadline for my next wave of advertising . i was like f' it.i had a good part time gig that wouldve been 50-60k if i was full time ,so i hung it on a nail.i was in business 2 years.

but i've been buyin up tools here lately, i got an old k60 that needs some parts-( mainly those 2 big plastic peices that go on the sides and some cable ,if anyone knows anything let me know)thats all i really need, i'd like to have a k60sp if i could find a decent deal on 1.once i get the truck ready to go i'll start tryin to advertise.i had good luck with small ads in the PLUMBING SECTION of the yellow pages and was thinking of trying out the yellow book cause it is cheaper.if anyone has any experience with this let me know.any tested advise on getting drain work would be appreciated.i also know alot of bar and restruant/ club owners and people that own laundry mats but i'm open to any new ideas.

anyway thats my story and i'm sticking to it.for any of you people out there still on the fence about a k 60 , BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Re: just signed up

[quote=atlanta pipe and drain;116343]i just wandered over here from the ridgid site, hoping to find a used tools for sale section.i suppose you can find stuff here and thats cool. but i'm really surprised at what i'm seeing here-

what i cant beleive is that people are still debating over drum vs sectional.

i started doing drains and plumbing when i was 21 back in '97 for roto rooter(wow now i feel old) and as usual you had all these crusty old know it all guys tryin to educate you on how they were right about everything that they did. as a new guy ,i had my screw ups ,they gave you a .5" sewr machine that was like the k3800 and a 3/4" machine that was like the k6200 or 750 just not painted orange with ridgid on them.and my biggest problem was tearing up the machines - i know "i just was'nt using them right"

they had 2 divisions back then in atlanta with 70 guys . i was making quite a reputation for myself destroying these things- the big one and the little one.twisting up the cable in the basket, having them take money out of my check for splices and new cables.they made you sign for these machines and i had so much of thier stuff frankenstiened together ,they didnt know what i had.
    but at a meeting one day 1 of the top earners for the other division told me to come over to his van.he had a k60.he told me all about how it worked and i was like " yeah that all sounds fine and good but expensive" then he explains to me that i cant break it.i was like, "maybe you havent heard but uhm..."
    anyway ,to make a long story short he was a pretty cool old guy and he told me to come to his house after work and he'd give me an older version of it and i could pay him payments and if it i didnt like it he'd give me my money back, i just had to buy the cable.it wasnt a very hard sell.

these things caught alot of flak from the oldtimers,they'd say that little thing dont got enough torque and everything else.my dumb schit manager was like" you cant run secondary lines with that thing. 450 rpms'l bust the pipe.you still got to keep your small machine on your van". -idiots

the fist month i had this thing i doubled my revenues.i had zero recalls and my friend who got me the job( he was 19 at the time-youngest rotorooter guy in the country)went out and put the sp model on his credit card and he doubled his profits too.roto rooter would have these monthly meetings and we hardly ever showed up cause they called em plumbing meetings and they wouldnt let us do plumbing cause we were too "young and inexperienced".they finally said theyd fire us if we didnt show, so we came and it was a funny thing,they would give out these stupid little plaques for most revenue, highest close rate,most jobs ect. ect.

that month and for months after that we - the young and inexperienced ran circles around those old men with thier drum machines.they'd tell us we couldnt do plumbing jobs but at the end of the month they were giving us the plaques.

that was a long time ago.the funny thing here- is you people are still argueing about it????

rotorooter was a crappy company to work for. theyd try to rip you off on every paycheck.i hung in there for a couple years and when they jacked me on my last check i sold one of they're machines since they didnt know what i had to begin with.funny how i saw it coming.i didnt ever steal anything from them, but i held that machine just in case they screwed me, and they did.

i tried new construction and that didnt last long.and finally left manual labor altogether for job in a strip joint.why play in poo to afford to party, when you can just party and get paid right?i did end up doing other construction work here and there between tipped gigs ,but the business model for drains was nice,1 man, 1 truck ,1 tool, little to no parts and 3-5k per week and you dont even have to have a licsense.

in '04 i'd had enough of working for other people and started my own drain company.and well- the 3-5k wasnt there without the massive advertisiing, but it was better than working for someone. it wasnt a bed of roses, owning your own business opens you up to a whole new world of getting screwed.DONT ADVERTISE IN THE SEWER AND DRAIN SECTION OF THE YELLOW PAGES EVER.they dont care that 5 ads only got you 2 calls in a year, they still want thier money.you also have to face lady luck when your trans on your van crapps out on you too.but i wasnt giving up.i pushed through it all until 1 morning i went out to my truck to find out that somebody had unloaded it for me.all of it.the k60sp the 210' of cable, all my tools.right at the deadline for my next wave of advertising . i was like f' it.i had a good part time gig that wouldve been 50-60k if i was full time ,so i hung it on a nail.i was in business 2 years.

but i've been buyin up tools here lately, i got an old k60 that needs some parts-( mainly those 2 big plastic peices that go on the sides and some cable ,if anyone knows anything let me know)thats all i really need, i'd like to have a k60sp if i could find a decent deal on 1.once i get the truck ready to go i'll start tryin to advertise.i had good luck with small ads in the PLUMBING SECTION of the yellow pages and was thinking of trying out the yellow book cause it is cheaper.if anyone has any experience with this let me know.any tested advise on getting drain work would be appreciated.i also know alot of bar and restruant/ club owners and people that own laundry mats but i'm open to any new ideas.

anyway thats my story and i'm sticking to it.for any of you people out there still on the fence about a k 60 , BELIEVE THE HYPE.[/quote]

i swear, i don't know this guy

but i know he is a smart man

he knows the "impressionator"

so now i have my team for the ridgid roundup. looks like the k-60 boys are going to give lessons to you drum men

welcome to the forum.

if you only knew what i've been preaching the last couple of years

read on and you would think we were twins.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

you dont got any parts for an old k60 do you? or from what i'm readiing how bout i give you my old k60 and some money and you give me an sp?

Comment

Originally posted by atlanta pipe and drain View Post
        you dont got any parts for an old k60 do you? or from what i'm readiing how bout i give you my old k60 and some money and you give me an sp?

now i did compliment you and call you smart

the feeling is not mutial

how about that old k-60 for a slightly used k-40

a good used k-60sp sells for $600-800 without cables. the more we praise them, the more i see the price going up

we can start to badmouth them and wait 6 months for the price to drop

i'll look for a deal and p.m. you with a link

i need my 3. but i do have a few extra k-50's i can work out.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

i was just reading that you like to buy em up and figured you might have a couple lying around and might want to diversify your collection.i didnt mean any harm.thanks for any help in advance

Comment

Welcome to the forum and you are right about the sectional machines. The problem is these other guys will never understand it if they don't try them. Of course the fact we own both and can use or buy what ever we want should convience them there is a reason we prefer the sectional machines.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have both sectionals and drum machines. I will only break out the sectionals if i need to go on a roof, or a commercial property...sometimes for tree roots before i break out the Warthog.

Ill stick to my drum machines 98% of the time. Easier for feel.

The reason some of these old timers have multiple sectionals, is because they break their other ones to fast For some reason they think sectionals are the ALL MIGHTY. They are good, i do this everyday, and i will use what im good and comfortable with.

If using a sectional is what you want, then go for it. In all honesty there isnt a debate on drums vs. sectionals. They both do the job, but if you dont know what your doing, you might as well hang it up..

Welcome to the Forum
              Greg
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

My customers always like seeing my drum machines.
                I hear this all the time:

"The last guy had some old machine with cables in a tire, You must have a state or the art machine. The last guy was here for ever fighting cables and I see you just setting on your bucket and letting the machine do the work. The last guy made a mess out of things with his cables and sewage all my floor in my basement. I know to call you next time!"

You call us old timers all you want, I know how fast I`m in and out and my machines never leave a mess behind. I like the idea of not having to stop working just to hook cables up or un hook em to pack em up. I wont go in to fighting cables as I never have too!!!

I can work circles around any sectional machine user, any time!
                Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I'll say it again:

From the ignition to the back of the truck, to the drop down lift to the back door....from the door to the drain hole, I can hit a drain open with one hand tied behind my back. I proved this by having a torn rotator cuff last year with absolutely no use of my left shoulder, with all the determination and drive to keep working no matter what the obstacle or the hinderance.

Awe damn I need to quit smoking again

****!
                  Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-15-2008, 03:11 PM.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

everyone has what they prefer and thats cool.with all honesty i think the drum machine is faster from a cleanout in the yard.but once you factor in maybe having to take up a toilet or any other work to have to gain access ,i think its faster to just get on the roof.

letting the machine do the work is nice but if your wrestling that cable in and out on every job,when you get stuck, you'll have the strength to get it out.girls like the big arms too.

625 compared to 120rpm's?????

having to take time away from the job to stop and go outside to work on your tool??- maybe that 1's just me - but it sucks - trying to untangle that cable in the basket can be very frustrating ,then you got to cut out the kink and splice it and start over again???definatly not quicker than making a few trips to the truck.i had to buy a clutch for my k60 before but that was the only mode of failure that i found.

sectionals can be messy if your not careful. but you can mess up carpet with the wheels on the drum machine too. and trim/ walls tryin to get that big machine into a bathroom. i always tried to go to the crawlspace or roof and go inside pull/reset last.

i do like to use a tub gun for laundry lines and tubs but thats the extent of drum machines for me.

everyone has what they like i suppose.i was just shocked this is still being debated.when i said oldtimers i was reffering to stubburn miserable closeminded people that wont try anything new.but this isnt new anymore.i posted my experience just to back up my .02

i like that theres a forum for this sort of work. i'll be searching and researching for a while just to take advantage of the info being out there.if i have any questions i'll post em and if i can answer any , i'll do that to.but for now i gotta go.

Comment

taking that 300 lb machine out of your truck will make it go faster/handle better too!

Comment

Can't wait to try a sectional . Most of my c/o are in basements. If I couldn't pull my drum off and carry/role it in seperate of the machine I wouldn't do any drain cleaning. I'm to old and weak to lug the machine and cable together up and down staires that a mountain goat would consider dangerous.

Super happy with the machine I have but lighter sure would be nice.

How quite are those K60's? customers often compliment on how quite my machine is, They seem to like the quite and so do I. I don't want the machine drowning out my swearing when things go wrong

Comment

Very quiet. The k-60 uses an induction motor and the drums uses a universal motor. Think of a drum sounding like a router and a k-60 sounding like a cabinet tablesaw.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I wish I could give the K-60 a try. I try not to use the K-3800 but sometimes I don't have an option.

Atlanta Pipe and Drain, are you saying Roto-Rooter charged you for damaged equipment? You bought your own drain machine and used it for them?

DUNBAR, what are you talking about? We had a guy at work with terrible shoulder pain from carrying the K-1500 in and out of peoples basements and such. A few months later I started having problems and changed the way I carried it and now I am fine.
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Very quiet. The k-60 uses an induction motor and the drums uses a universal motor. Think of a drum sounding like a router and a k-60 sounding like a cabinet tablesaw.
                              Huh. I'll have to see what kind of motor I have. the only time mine makes any loud noise is if I get a loose loop or 2 in the drum.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                              X