X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my day so far

I got a call about a slow draining shower stall and lav. also the toilet seeps water on the floor when flushed. I figure a pretty simple & straight forward job

When I arrive on site and the toilet flushes OK but water runs out under the base. I lift the toilet and the wax (circa 1995) is blown out, dried up, and generally shot. One piece toilet (circa 1965-1070) is to be replaced.

The lav gurgles when water drains but it drains. I removed a small head of hair from the trap and popup lever and the lav drains like a charm.

Shower drains good for about 60 seconds and then slowly fills. Turn the water off and it drains slowly but it drains. Remove the overflow and run the K39 with 3/8 cable and bulb auger into the line expecting to find hair. NO, i get a ball of roots from about 15' into the line. Not a tight ball but roots and the shower no longer drains. I have about 10 more feet of cable on this drum.

Homeowner has to leave so I will come back tomorrow and try to de root this line. The bathroom is too small and the hall is too twisty to get the K-75 in. I am assuming the blockage is in the 3 inch C/I line because of the distance but this house was built in the mid to late 60s to west Indian standards of the time. No code and no telling where anything goes. A camera would be nice but unavailable.

Tomorrows plan is to go back in with the tub machine and go as far as I can with it and if all fails take the K-50 into the toilet line.

So much for simple straight forward jobs

now off to the Ridgid Caribbean Meeting.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: my day so far

Roots in a shower line??? This stuff never ceases to amaze me

Please keep us updated on this

Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

If it`s in the main line why not go from and out side c/o or vent stack and clean in to the house?
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

ACS, don't know if it's in the main or not, no C/O and the roof is waaaaay too steep for me. also, vbents down here don't always take the straightest path. remember this was built a long time before we had any type of code here.

this should be an interesting day.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I've got a seesnake, but AA is charging $1400 round trip from Miami on short notice.
          Mike

Comment

Mike, thanks for the offer but AA has us hostage here. i don't travel like i used to.

get to the house this morning ready to have hand to hand combat with the dragon/ run ALL 25 feet of tthe 5/16/ cable into the line and fell only a little resistance at about the 20 foot mark. odd? retrieve the cable with a load of wet rusty water and a small bit of root. as i was extracting i heard a funny burp and gurgle and water flowing.

figured what the heck and turned the water on. it drained almost like it was new. i set about dealing with the other slow sink lines and ran some more water. a perfect drain every time.

maybe i loosened the roots enough yesterday and just pushed them down the line today? home owner's happy (all lines drain) and i'm happy (check in hand).

steve

Comment

Working...
            X