X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just one of those days (pic`s)

I get all the calls after the plumber cant get em open. I got a call from a lady that had the plumber out 3 times in one week. He was cleaning the line from a clean out just past the washing machine stand pipe. I have a 50` DRUM snake just right for the job. So I take off the cap and start to run all 50` out. Test the washer and as soon as I start to drain it it`s backing out the stand pipe. If I would have ran it before I cabled 50` of line I would have known that the plumber was cleaning the wrong pipe.

Ok so I get out my little drill with 25` of cable and go to work on the stand pipe. I cant get in the "Y" (see Pic)
    I tell the lady that I`ll have to cut the vent stack and see whats going on.

Ok this is the washing machine stand pipe / Vent that they had the PRV from the water heater hook to. I could hear the PRV leaking as it was right next to where I was working. The PRV was leaking and here`s the damage. When I first cut the line I thought WHO put wood in the vent....lol.. This is Lime build up from the Water Heater

Hey Rick I`d like to see you cut this rock with your K-50 or even K-60 for that matter
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Re: just one of those days (pic`s)

This is why you shouldn't drink from water heaters

WOW that's a ton of buildup. Wonder how long it took to get that bad

All Clear your skin looks a little dry. You might want to put some lotion on that

Comment

Holy cow!
      I ask the same question...how long has that been building up?

Comment

WOw...just wow...hold old is that pipe???

Comment

Not sure on how long but it was leaking at the rate of 10gal an hour

Comment

That would have been interesting with the K-60. I might have better luck with my my Hilti TE76. Make sure you don't glue pvc back to the abs. Call me Captain Obvious in 3....2.....1......now.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Believe it or not but, you can glue PVC to ABS as long as you use the right glue Not sure it`s as strong but they claim it is? I`ve been replacing ADS with PVC for years and so far no problems to date From what I understand it`s not a solvent weld, it`s a glue joint. Never the less, it seem`s to work.

That PVC "Y" is where they had the PRV plumbed in the Vent
              Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 01-23-2008, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                Believe it or not but, you can glue PVC to ABS as long as you use the right glue
                Maybe you can use the transition glue... We cannot legally in Phoenix...
                According to the head of the Phoenix plumbing code enforcement dept. the only legal use for transition glue is one time use outside of the structure when transitioning from ABS to PVC for the sewer connection... Jay even said that a different form of connection would be preferable to the glue in that case as well...

Comment

where is the trap on that washing machine standpipe?

out here we can't connect a prv to a waste line without the use of a air gap. typically they are piped to an outside location of 6'' - 24'' off the ground.

we can't use a transition glue on any pipe except for possible outside area drains that don't fall under an inspection.
                  i would have used a no hub band and not glue. perfectly legal.

as far as cleaning that pipe. a jetter with a tank of vinegar would be a simple fix with plastic piping. so would a decent mallet and then the mighty k-60 to break it up.

how far of a section of pipe was crusty like this?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Good eye Rick There was no Trap on that line

We can not connect a PRV to a waste line without the use of a air gap here either. This was at a farm house and I`m sure it was a DIY job.

I replaced what I cut out and told her my plumber would be glad to follow up if she wanted to fix the PRV and do the plumbing right.

You know what she said, It`s been working that way for all these years.

I then told her what rate of water she was dumping in the sewer and that the gas was just being wasted on heating water going down the sewer.
                    As far as I know she hasn't called my plumber to this date and I did that job last Wednesday

there is only so much you can do for people that know so much.....rotflmao

Comment

and speaking of people that know so much about plumbing....lol

Today is the first day that I walked off a job with out making the drain, Drain.

I was working on an old lead sink line in a kitchen. Every time I would go in the cable would go "UP" I tried every machine I had with every head I had to use and "UP" it would go. I tell the home owner he need a C/O installed under the sink so we could make the cable go down.
                      He tells me that it should be plumbed with a "san T " and I shouldn't have this problem. I tell him it`s an old lead line and they didn't use fittings back then. They just cut holes and stuck pipe together and did what we call a wipe with lead to seal the joint. He kept talking about plumbing and I got fed up with em and said " well you know so much about plumbing I don't understand why you called me out" I was there 2 hr`s listing to this crap the whole time. I got fed up and told em I was done and he need the clean out or I was gonna leave. This guy had always tried to talk me down on price on every job I have ever done for em so I knew this was just gonna be the same. I told him to get a C/O and call me and I packed up and went to the next job.

God I hate these people.
                      A guy can only take so much crap while playing in crap ....rotflmao
                      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 01-24-2008, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumberscrack
                        This is why you shouldn't drink from water heaters
                        Actually, the lime is probably good for you, since it's primarily calcium carbonate. It's the magnesium or aluminum in the anode I'd worry about.

Originally posted by Plumber Rick
                        out here we can't connect a prv to a waste line without the use of a air gap. typically they are piped to an outside location of 6'' - 24'' off the ground.
                        I see where they're trying to come up with something else in freezing areas. I ran into one I did about five years ago and the relief valve was leaking and the drain was frozen solid.

Originally posted by Plumber Rick
                        we can't use a transition glue on any pipe except for possible outside area drains that don't fall under an inspection.
                        We can't, either. I think there's some kind of variance in the code for switching outdoors, and I've seen the backhoe guys mixing fittings.

I'd consider a relief valve that was leaking that badly to be a dangerous condition under the code, and it MUST be repaired. All it would take to make a bomb is for the spring in the valve to be impacted with lime.

Comment

Working...
                        X