Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen drain question

hello,

need some expert advise here, we live in the pacific northwest and have been having sub zero temps, our water lines in our kitchen sit on the ground and run up the outside wall up to the sink, have a lot of insulation and heat duct between the hot, cold and drain, the pipes all froze and thanfully did not break when we got them thawed but the drain has frozen, we have used heat lamps, hot water from top and tried to snake it, can you advise me to prevent this from further problems

al

Re: frozen drain question

If this drain pipe is older piping like copper/cast-iron or galvanized, this will retain waste matter and allow for whatever is clinging to the walls of the pipe to instantly harden and restrict flow.

Much more likely to clog because it's already in a poor condition to start with.

If it is PVC, check to see if it is vented properly; just because it's plastic doesn't mean it doesn't clog, vented or not.

If inspection reveals this issue, you'll need to make the right corrections to prevent it from happening.

People use plumbing in situations where drain lines exposed to the elements without any hint of freezing/backing up.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

dunbar,

these are old, we have been slowly replacing to plumbing to our local codes and thin drain i believe is 3/4 inch - 1 inch and that would make sense, it was working fine until monday when our temps dropped down to below -5, not counting wind. is there a solution, we are using a heat lamp directly on the drain

al

Comment

is it still frozen? I can give you some tips but don't want to type it all out if it's already thawed.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

ok,

here is the deal, the main drain out of the kitchen does not allow water to flow past the drain going down the wall or back out and down past a tee for the washer, the washer works fine and drains but the kitchen sink will not drain, i have good flow out of the bathroom, this one line had worked great until we had our deep freeze, now the water sits in the line, i have used liquid plummer to clen out the line, it foamed up a bunch of brown smelly stuff and stopped there, no more water travel or anything and on the clean out under the house there is what appears to an immense amount of pressure when i open the clean out port??. i know that this is a strnage question but how can i have pressue on a line that is a drain example: when i open the 1 inch cap, the water sprays out at me much like a garden hose when you try to take something off the end with the water on. i have never had this problem or the inabiltiy to clear a drain before. i have thought of just replacing the whole line but that in this case would intale taking have the kitchen wall out which i will evetually but not in the middle of january.

what am i missing on this issue, if drain cleaners did not work that supposedly eat everything and i know the line is not plugged with branches, what part of this am i missing. please help my wife is about to go postal on me becasue we cannot do dishes or clean our baby bottles. i need help
          Last edited by naveall; 01-27-2008, 03:31 PM. Reason: add information

Comment

Drain Cleaners do work. Drain cleaning chemicals do NOT.
            Your clog be it ice, grease or whatever is under the house somewhere after the clean out. You getting pressure and spray back because the pipe is holding water. If your clog were in between this clean out and the sink the clean out would not have water backed up. So your problem is further down the pipe. You will need to remove the clean out cap and snake from there.
            Because you put chemicals in the line you just made a messy job, messy and hazardous. If you get any of the chemicals in your eyes you will be needing a key board with Braille and its not that good on your skin either.
            So pull the cap. Be prepared for a blast of water catch in buckets or crawl fast and snake from that point down.
            If nothing froze under the house I think you have a clog and not ice.
            If you think its frozen under the house you can try to thaw the line with heat before you pull the cap.
            PROTECT YOUR EYES AND SKIN or better yet call in a pro and be done with this problem.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
            X