X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: snaking against the flow from "double cleanout"

once again a jetter would be better on a soft/ sludge stoppage. also safer as it typically won't break anything, but could create a nice mess if you don't have someone inside monitoring the fixtures.

the open wind sectional does a better job at augering the muck than a stiffer tight wind cable.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
      Sounds like consensus is going upstream is better than roof or pulling toilet. And that since I don't have a camera (or a jetter), I'm facing an uphill battle. No pun intended.

For it to get all mucked up, the kind that the snake goes right through but won't clear, does that require a belly? Always wondered.

I typically see muck blockes in either sagged, bellied pipe, broken pipe, or single elderly people. Just jet them from the outside cleanout or trap going back towards the house, and it opens in minutes.

Greg
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        I've always referred to it as soft pack (must be a Maine thing). Could be caused by a belly, roots offset or whatever. I find I run into it more in a home with only 1-2 older people that don't use the water much. After a while the pipe almost acts like a septic tank. You go through with an arrow head or small head and poke a little hole. Water goes down a bit but as soon as you pull the snake out the soft pack (sludge) just collapses back onto itself.

Only soft pack i ever heard of was cigarettes
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          once again a jetter would be better on a soft/ sludge stoppage. also safer as it typically won't break anything, but could create a nice mess if you don't have someone inside monitoring the fixtures.

the open wind sectional does a better job at augering the muck than a stiffer tight wind cable.

rick.

Absolutely, and here is another trick to running a innercore sectional......feed it in on reverse, it opens the muck up alot easier, and have a garden hose running at the same time down the standpipe.

I do it with the eel in the winter time when its to cold to jet, and does the same job in the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            Agree 100%. The cable acts like a archemedies screw. I'll also fill a tub with water and let it drain at the same time I have the customer flush the toilets. The increased pressure will often just blow the line open when snaking.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
            X