X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-380 Entanglement

So about 6 months back I bought a k-380 just to have in the shop for emergency blockages. We don't really do drain cleaning but I like to have a small machine in case of a residential blockage. The only person who had used the machine before last weekend was my dad, and he's a fairly seasoned drain cleaner. Last Saturday, on of the General's i work for called up and said he had a blockage in his 4" main, so I packed up the k-380 and took it down there only to the cable out about 15 feet and realize the cable was terribly tangled. How it got that way I'll never know, but I struggled just to get it out 40 feet, and after I unblocked the drain, i could only get about 10 feet back in. My question is, is there any way to untangle the cable, or am I wasting my time? It seems that the armature that wraps the cable back up is in good working order, but just can't make a revolution due to the mass of cable in the drum. Thanks in advance for your advice
    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Re: K-380 Entanglement

is there any wauy you can twist/spin just the cable by hand? if so try turning in the "reverse" direction aka counterclockwise. sometimes you can get one to "untangle" that way.

sounds to me you went too far, especially once you realized the cable was tangled.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

When i say Tangle I don't mean a knot in the cable, I think may have been improperly wrapped, and the cable is not being unravelled in the right order. the cable is being pulled from the back of the spool every time I pull out more cable. The only way i thought possible to fix this was to take all cable out and try to put it back in correctly. So spinning in reverse really doesnt help me

Comment

soory about that i misunderstood. glad it's not trapped in a line somewhere.

i have very little experience with drum machines but my guess would be to uncoil and start over. a real PITA i'm sure, but i know of no other way

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Rule #1 Keep the K-380 outa 4" drains. Your sending a Boy to do a Mans job!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

hmm good to know, though it did unplug the drain with considerable ease....

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
              soory about that i misunderstood. glad it's not trapped in a line somewhere.

i have very little experience with drum machines but my guess would be to uncoil and start over. a real PITA i'm sure, but i know of no other way

steve
              Try feeding all the cable out then feed it back in with the drum spinning forward like it should. My cable tangles terribly when ever I feed it in the drum without the drum spinning. A few loose wraps can cause problems

Don't know why it happens but even the instructions say it will happen.

Comment

I would oil the cable real good and that should keep it from getting tangled as it will slide in to place much better.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                  Try feeding all the cable out then feed it back in with the drum spinning forward like it should. My cable tangles terribly when ever I feed it in the drum without the drum spinning. A few loose wraps can cause problems

Don't know why it happens but even the instructions say it will happen.
                  the instructional video says never spin it while feeding the cable back into the drum

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                    the instructional video says never spin it while feeding the cable back into the drum
                    I'll be danged. I thought all drum machines would work about the same in that regaurd.

Comment

if it's not all tangled and kinked, i would also oil it good and pull it all out. then feed it back into the drum well oiled. if there are kinks, then it's going to be a problem down the road.

truthfully that machine should never be used on anything lasger than 3'' and even that's pushing it. i assume you have 3/8'' cable in it?

1/2'' will work 4'' pipe, but not roots

when you want to get into serious drain cleaning, you already know my answer

k-60 you cheater

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

thanks guys I'll try that.

Rick - You say "WHEN" I get into serious drain cleaning like its an inevitability.

Comment

Working...
                        X