Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with sewer line clog (sometimes)

Hello All,

I hope I can get some good advice here. Ill try to make a long nightmare short. I bought a ranch house with a poured slab no basement no crawl space.(No access) Any how I had a very large tree in my front lawn so I have had that removed and replaced the line from the house trap out. In the bath rooms I jack hammered everything up and replaced with Plastic. Everything is fine untill sometimes I get a clog right at the vent pipe right after the house trap. I know it is there cause it over flows Sometimes it works it self out and sometimes I have to snake it. I cant figure out why It clogs right where the new line begins? I can get the snake through the house trap but it stops less than 2FT Away where the clean out is?

Any advice on what to do? I would hate to dig that hole again Just to look at a pipe if I dont have to.

A couple things I have noticed is this only seems to happen when I run the washing machine? And it has rained a little I dont think that has anything to do with it.

Re: Help with sewer line clog (sometimes)

the washing machine puts a lot of water down the line in a short time. sort of like the straw that broke the camels back

i would guess that the line is offset at the joint 2' away.

a camera inspection will save a lot of guess digging.

how deep is it and how much snake cable does it take to clear the line?

if it's shallow and not far, digging is a good option. if it's unknown, camering is a better option.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Find a good drain cleaning company. This guy does some great work in PA
      http://www.drainmedicpa.com/

Out of curiousity, why the desicion to get all this work get done? No one offered you a sewer inspections from the start?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Definitely get the line video inspected
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I have already dug up the old terra cotta line and replaced it from the house trap out its about 4ft deep at the vent near the house. What gets me is where this clog is where the new abs pipe begins? Could this be caused by the coupling? Can I rent a Camera?

The reason I didnt get an inspection is because this was a foreclosure sale as is.

Thanks for your help Jason

Comment

Anything is possible. Of course a video inspection of the pipe would give you a better answer to your question. Not sure if you can rent the camera you would need to video that line.

You definitely do not want to be renting a camera and trying to get it thru a trap without ever using one before.

Do you have a cleanout after the trap?

What part of PA are you located in?
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Yes I have my vent and then the clean out directly after the trap. When I was snaking today I could get to the vent but could not get threw to clean out only 2ft away it seems like that is where the problem would lie but this is new piping? Could it be the trap even though the clog is after it?

Thanks

Comment

Could be anything really. Maybe something lodged in the trap, maybe the band not right, maybe misallignment btwn new and exisisting pipe.

Where in Pa are you located

Comment

i see a lot of times that when the ditch is over dug, the band/ mission/ fernco will deflect and create an offset at the joint. very common on new sewer cleanout installations by careless installers.

make sure you properly compact the ditch under the pipe if overdug. sand or base will work good.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Ok now I think we might have something I only replaced enough to get a cleanout in. When that wasnt enough due to tree roots I had the rest replaced maybe when the rest of the line was dug it dislodged the fernco?

If got a camera would it even be able to pick up a slight bend like that if that was the case?

I live in the Pittsburgh area..

Comment

camera will pick up everything. it's just how you interpret it. if you know what to look for and how to look for it, then you will see the obvious and not so obvious issues.

a fernco band is easy to spot along with pooling water and separated joints.

problem is a camera is not cheap and renting them is not typically an option. see if greg/ drainmedic is close by and can do it for you.

he can spot the problem and you can dig it up as needed. it's a win win deal.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by jader1 View Post
                        Hello All,

I hope I can get some good advice here. Ill try to make a long nightmare short. I bought a ranch house with a poured slab no basement no crawl space.(No access) Any how I had a very large tree in my front lawn so I
                        A couple things I have noticed is this only seems to happen when I run the washing machine? And it has rained a little I dont think that has anything to do with it.
                        I hate to ask stupid questions but at this point in my life I can stand being laughed at without getting my feelings hurt. You are talking about this line going to a sewer and not a septic system right? The only reason I asked was the coincidence between the washing machine, rain and water backing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          I hate to ask stupid questions but at this point in my life I can stand being laughed at without getting my feelings hurt. You are talking about this line going to a sewer and not a septic system right? The only reason I asked was the coincidence between the washing machine, rain and water backing up.
                          It doesn't sound like they need house house traps on septic to keep munincipal sewer gasses from entering a persons home.

Good question though

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            It doesn't sound like they need house house traps on septic to keep munincipal sewer gasses from entering a persons home.

Good question though
                            Thanks for not being too rough on me. When I had my first house over twenty years ago the waste line for the downstairs kitchen sink went straight to the road and the washing machine discharged on the lawn. There was a septic system for the rest of the house. I dug a trench and ran my 4"pvc to a drywell I dug five feet in diameter and seven feet deep. I put gravel on the bottom, a fifty five gallon drum with plenty of holes and gravel all around and on top along with a vent. Only problem, I forgot to put a trap at the house! Didn't take long for gas to back up into the house. Lesson learned. Living with a septic system is an education, real careful what we poured down a drain or flushed, and the washine machine was never used twice in a day.

Comment

Yes if you camera the sewer you will see any and every thing wrong if you know plumbing???? If you dont know much about plumbing you might not know what you are looking at
                              Call a "sewer guy" or a "plumber" that has a camera and save yourself a lot of problems down the road

Here`s what the inside of a sewer looks like when theres a problem
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/Sewer.html
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X