k7500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k7500

On a k 7500, once you use all the cable is there anything that prevents it from going down the drain? and also can you then use another drum hooked to the first cable?

sorry if this a dumb question :-p

Re: k7500

I can answer part of this. Once you finish your first drum you can hook another drum up. Also on the loosing it down the drain part I am sure you can but there is a torque arm that would make it pretty hard to loose down the drain. When you have hundreds of feet of cable out its not going to just suck into the drain. Am I right guys?

Comment

If your snaking a vertical line, and you detach the cable from the machine to hook up to another machine, and just let go of the cable, yes gravity will then take over and pull the cable away.

Unless the head of the cable is 'resting' on the stoppage.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

adding a second drum of 100' of cable is not what i use to do.

i would carry sections of 25' and 50' cables inside of a tire or plastic cable carrier. not only was this faster than adding a second drum, it also took up less space in the truck and is less expensive than a drum assy.

as far as dropping a cable in and having it go downstream. never happened and it would probably be difficult to happen on a 100' section. the cable is anchored to a anchor cable inside the drum and until you release it, it isn't going anywhere. unless you are snaking a line that is all vertiical down or a very steep angle, the cable just sits there.

i did have a sectional almost get away from me on a steep stoppage. as i cleared it, the russing water started to run with my cable like a shark on a fishing line. i guess it could have gotten away if i released the clutch handle.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

How do you attach the 25 or 50' of cable to the drum? Unroll the extention cable, hook up to the pigtail, reel the cable in, attach the extention cable to the original cable and continue on your way? This is it?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That sounds about right?!

Wait for Rick's reply though, I think he wrote the manual for the 7500 back in the 80's.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

"No" you wont lose the cable if you unhook it from the machine unless you are in a high-rise building and running down a stack. In a sewer main at ground level there`s is no way it will take off on ya. I run a K-7500 every day all day long and I do this every day when I need to add another 50 or 100` cable. I like Rick, keep my extra cable in a tire I bolted to a wall in my trailer. I keep 125` of 3/4 IC Cable on my machine. Make sure you put the 25` in first then the 100` cable

Hope this helps ya out
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

But how do you add more cable to the run?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Turn the screw on the pig-tail and unhook the cable. Then you hand pack another cable in the drum and rehook and go back to work. It`s that easy

Comment

Although it's been quite a few years since I used it, my old General had 50' 3/4" cables and you had to attach the second cable to the first to get a hundred feet. I never did like the flat piece held in by a screw, and I did have it come loose once. I was rodding through a toilet. I went into the crawl space, and there was a cleanout plug at the end of the line. I opened it and there was the end of the cable. Whew!

I'm glad that only happened once.

I've never had the feeling that the cable was going to take off on its own when I unhooked it from the drum leader, but then, it was fifty footers, not short sections. Watching the Ridgid video for the K-60, I see they recommend that you loop the cable in the hole while you get the next section. Is that how you guys do it?

Comment

can you change drums or is that to hard?

Comment

Originally posted by Craigofva
                        Was that addressed to me? The General's cables come in separate drums with 50' each. You unhook one cable, swap drums, tie the second cable to the first. You could add a third drum if you wanted, to get 150'.

Comment

Originally posted by craigofva View Post
                          yes you can, but the drum assy is expensive as it would typically require all the rest of the parts to go along with it. also it is bulky and heavy.

a tire with another 25', 50' or 100' section is much quicker.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            a tire with another 25', 50' or 100' section is much quicker.

rick.
                            Yes it is

Comment

I HAVE DONE ALL OF THE ABOVE,

#1 I use one or two pairs of vise grips, to hold cable from dropping down roof vent, or any other place i am worryed
                              about cable takeing off while i am changing drums or adding cable,
                              #2 for many years i ran a spartan 1065 with 125' of cable and 50-100' of backup in a tire or in a coil with a bunge to hold togeather,

#3 i also ran a spartan 300 mach. with 80' cable and a second backup drum with anthor 80' i could change them both out on a roof !

#4 i ran the 7500 with 125' cable and carried a second drum
                              with anthor 125' i only changed drums a couple of times
                              when running very long drains,

not very often but it could be done since i was charging, T & M. rates at the time

JERRYMAC MASTER DRAINMAN
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X