thank you spartan 100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thank you spartan 100

costco floor drain, 3" pulled tape, latex and a screw driver wrapped in latex back with my 100. Excellent machine!!!
    sigpic

Robert

Re: thank you spartan 100

How far out was that screwdriver? Any idea how it got there(besides someone dropped it down the drain)? What kind of head did you use?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Any murders happen in that area recently?

Did you pull all 3 items back at once?
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

2 runs, cleared first time, but felt something weird, so ran it again, no head, I just have a sweet bend on my cable, does it every time, grabs everything, every time.

distance, like first 5', not that far, cleared the stoppage at 15' though. I think the screwdriver was in the trap but it's ok, cause it came out on the cable wrapped in latex, so the spartan still did it.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

It is a great machine What kind of head did you have on it?
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
            no head, I just have a sweet bend on my cable, does it every time, grabs everything, every time.
            No head.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
              It is a great machine What kind of head did you have on it?

Hey buddy, I don't use a head on my spartan, I just have it bent. works really well, and I don't have any problems getting down tight durham santee's or double fixture tee's, I hate drop heads by the way
              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 02-09-2008, 10:36 PM. Reason: 1st grade spelling issue
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Dont run into durham traps around here, but i agree, i use a bend on the head of mine, but i like the cutter on the end of it. Its easier on the floor drains, but i do find myself cutting the heads off eventually. Good pull on junk there. You just might turn into a drain cleaner one day
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                  Dont run into durham traps around here, but i agree, i use a bend on the head of mine, but i like the cutter on the end of it. Its easier on the floor drains, but i do find myself cutting the heads off eventually. Good pull on junk there. You just might turn into a drain cleaner one day
                  Yeah, heads get in the way on the 3/8" and 1/4" cables, rather just have a bend and work the cable.

one day I'll be just like you and rickets you and rickets, you and rickets
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

real drain cleaners use heads. bent cables just stir things up.

there is no way a screwdriver of that size made it past a 3'' n.h. trap. it was the latex that wrapped around the cable and caught on the screwdriver.

i hope they fed you there

i need to go there tomorrow for stuff. i'll make sure i drop a smaller screwdriver in for you to fish out

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

there is no way a screwdriver of that size made it past a 3'' n.h. trap. it was the latex that wrapped around the cable and caught on the screwdriver.

i need to go there tomorrow for stuff. i'll make sure i drop a smaller screwdriver in for you to fish out

rick.
                      it can't happen unless rick say's it can't

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.

I will start a poll, I have no clue how to, but I would be interested in the results. to blade ot not to blade. I use a blade only on mainlines, not 3/8 and 1/4.

I will work on starting that poll.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

A buddy of mine I send drain cleaning calls to does the same; he cuts the ends off and does a 2 bend trick.

Works good and it makes a lot of racket since it's scouring the pipe heavily but I would say that it's effective.

I myself never had to do that, still running with the same cable I bought the machine with, 3/8" with attachments up to 2" and I've never been in a situation to bend or kink it while cabling.

Works awesome for top-down the vent on a laundry tub where they transitioned to cast above or underground. Guaranteed clog eventually.

I'm assuming you can't do this trick on 1/4"?

I tried that once in a bad situation (cable kinked bad, had to cut it and tried bending it enough to get through the piping) and busted a fitting. Not a big deal but I hated the fact it happened; open hook would of prevented that.

I figured I could heat that end of the cable and make my own open hook but scared that where I heat it...it will snap off.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I too use a Spartan model 100 with the bulb cut off and a bend on the end. It works great and in my opinion it is more effective than running blades.

I agree with the assesment that the latex gloves aided in the retreival of the screwdriver but I most certainly DO NOT agree that real drain cleaners use heads.

No one can say that a method is ineffective if it the end results are the same. If you open a drain with blades and I open the same drain with a bent cable what does it matter? I know for a fact that more people are using no blades and achieving just as good, if not better results that way. Besides, who wants to have to worry about changing blades all of the time anyway?
                            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                              I too use a Spartan model 100 with the bulb cut off and a bend on the end. It works great and in my opinion it is more effective than running blades.

I agree with the assesment that the latex gloves aided in the retreival of the screwdriver but I most certainly DO NOT agree that real drain cleaners use heads.

No one can say that a method is ineffective if it the end results are the same. If you open a drain with blades and I open the same drain with a bent cable what does it matter? I know for a fact that more people are using no blades and achieving just as good, if not better results that way. Besides, who wants to have to worry about changing blades all of the time anyway?

tell you what, you do it your way and i'll do it the right way. a cable with no cutter head is just punching a hole in the stoppage. a cutter is displacing the built up debris.

sure a bent cable is easier to operate, since your not cleaning/ scraping and therefore have very little resistance.

why not try without a blade and camera the line to see the results. then run the blades and re camera the line. i know for a fact the line will be much cleaner.

sure you might have cleared the stoppage, but i clean the line. a big difference between the 2.

right or wrong?

comments.

rick.

by the way welcome to the forum. don't let me scare you, but i like the debates. it's how we all learn better ways and tricks
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X