• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoking in the sewer

welcome pete....hope you will stick around

Comment

Welcome to the forum Pete. Stick around and wait it out, it will eventually go away. You have quite the resume and will bring alot to this forum, in every aspect.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

See Pete, there are nice people here. Set a spell.

Comment

In the town I work in all the house are VENTED with-Out Traps so the gas in the city sewer is Vented also.

Now if the gas station down on the corner leached Gasoline in to the system I would think you would smell it when you were close to a manhole and or for the matter, someone`s house as the vapers from Gasoline will drop down to the ground from a vent stack. If I remember right 18" off the ground ???

If you cant smell Gasoline then you better stop working in the sewers as you are "burnt up"
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            In the town I work in all the house are VENTED with-Out Traps so the gas in the city sewer is Vented also.

Now if the gas station down on the corner leached Gasoline in to the system I would think you would smell it when you were close to a manhole and or for the matter, someone`s house as the vapers from Gasoline will drop down to the ground from a vent stack. If I remember right 18" off the ground ???

If you cant smell Gasoline then you better stop working in the sewers as you are "burnt up"
            Problem is you may not smell it until you are down too far, and if you've got a lit cigarette in your mouth..BOOM!!! Why do folks argue about taking a simple measure to work safer? You are talking about entering an unknown environment, put out the dam cigarette.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete M View Post
              Rick,

Congratulations on your recent license. I worked in LA for over 15 years and acquired 3 licenses, Plumbing Contractor (C-36), General Contractor (B-1) and as a Sewer Contractor. They may be expired now, but I have no plans to go back to California and the licenses won't transfer. But you can check the CSLB website if you wish. Lic # 481811
              interesting you think i'm new to the trade. 1981 apprenticeship lic.
              1984 journeyman's license and 1997 contractors license.
              if that's new, i hate to see what old is.

now if you really want to compare licenses, i can question your very short period of your license. even shorter period of bonding record and no record of workers comp. associated with your license.

do you really want to compare and question that?

if so please explain.

what i do question is your motivation of your post. everything links directly to your personal website.

your k-60 cart, the exploding manholes. yet these were not sewer manholes we were questioning.

i too would enjoy some expert input you have to offer. but so far all i get is a very creative link to your personnel web site and seminars.

spend some time and contribute, not spam us with your hidden links.

that's my gripe.

rick.

your best post in my opinion is "hiring good help" that's the kind of input i would expect from you. the manhole thing was just too much b.s. for me.
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-15-2008, 01:08 PM. Reason: additonal comment.
              phoebe it is

Comment

While it's entertaining to read you guys playing testosterone tag, I maintain that anyone who is opening a lid to an undergound environment of any kind should not have an open souce of fire or spark with them. Traps, vents, casings, pipes and anything else you rely on to keep you safe are less dependable than your own good sense. Please use it and avoid doing stupid things to prove a point. Set a good example to others. Safety first!

Comment

I'll admit fire/explosion may well be a hazard and proper care should be taken, but I'd say a much more real danger with smoking in a manhole is getting sick; you are putting your hand to your mouth, and your hand probably has poop or worse on it.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    I'll admit fire/explosion may well be a hazard and proper care should be taken, but I'd say a much more real danger with smoking in a manhole is getting sick; you are putting your hand to your mouth, and your hand probably has poop or worse on it.
                    Ace I agree that there are conditions equally hazardous to your health and others. Working in The Bronx I knew fecal matter from many different sources could find its way into our utility manholes along with an assortment of animal matter and chemicals. The walls of these sealed environments grew all sorts of fungus and spores. Aside from our own specific health risk we also need to think of the loved ones we come into contact with when we go home. I always told the new guys "wash your hands and clean under your nails before you touch your wife or children". I did not work on or in septic or drainage systems which have got to be similar or worse for health hazards. I have no problem working with a little poop whether it's from people or animals, it's the other stuff that concerns me. To all, please be safe this should not be a topic for argument.

Comment

What are you guys talking about?? I always grab a big turd and fire it up It`s like an import cigar. The ones with peanuts are my favorite They just have a smother taste if you know what I mean

http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

This subject always seems to pop up and shows the importance of getting all your shots, it's a pain and takes a series of them, but once your done, your all set up.

Helps, along with other measures of prevention like latex and if it is really bad, a mask.
                        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          This subject always seems to pop up and shows the importance of getting all your shots, it's a pain and takes a series of them, but once your done, your all set up.

Helps, along with other measures of prevention like latex and if it is really bad, a mask.
                          I got a story (hope I haven't told it here before), about twenty years ago I was sent to run a piece of cable through a basement in the South Bronx. When I got there I was met with about four splicers and another four linemen and two or three foremen. The defective cable ran through the basement of a Food Supermarket which had about a foot of water and raw sewerage from a big broken pipe toilet paper, turds and all. There was an odor but it was tolerable and the tide was calm. Being helpful minded I saw an unplugged sump pump and decided to lower the water line. Big mistake! As you guys know it's a bad thing to wake those sleepingturds up and they were angry. The water receeded and the turds fell apart unleashing a horrible stench. Guys started to vomit as they ran for the exit. I had a pretty bad head cold, so I took my time leaving the scene. The job was cancelled for several hours until some efforts to cleanup were made. Lesson learned, don't disturb the turds and leave that sump alone.

Comment

Working...
                          X