X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No choice but to jet?

Basement appartment 2 inch galvenized kitchen drain backs up into the kitchen sink when the appartment right above drains her washing machine. Poorly constructed, the washing machine and kitchen sink are connected side by side and lead into the same 2 inch stack in the upstairs appartment, and the setup is the same in the basement appartment right below. The basement appartment has absol NO problems with either the kitchen sink blocking or the washing machine blocking but every time the appartment upstairs drains the washing machine, the water backs right up into the kitchen sink. I went in about 30 feet with a K-380, obviously can send in more, but I doubt it will make a diff. My sewer jet is currently dead and I either need to repair it or get a new one. Do you think installing a backwater valve on both the kitchen sink drain and washing machine drain right before the 2 inch stack in the app downstairs will help since really the appartment downstairs never blocks "OR" I have no choice but to get off my butt and jet this? Sending in my K-380 further to me, will not resolve anything but if you all disagree, then please advise.

Thoughts would be appreciated and so sorry for the long explanation :-)

Re: No choice but to jet?

a back water valve will work, but it might not be approved for this application. it will also cause an issue somewhere else.

personally, are you sure it's not too much soap from upstairs? that what it sounds like to me.

where is the common connection between the upper and lower units?

if it's soap, jetting will not be a fix. jetting will be good for the lint and grease.

i have a job this morning in a townhome. when the laundry in the garage pumps out, the kitchen starts to back up 20' downstream.

either jetting or snaking will do.

i'll be doing it with my k-50 and 5/8'' cable through the 2'' standpipe and trap.

i rather doubt i'll need to jet this.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

So I should refish?

Sorry if I mis-understood

Comment

Or advise the upstairs tenant to go with lower suds / different soap?

Comment

I would do a test by running the upstairs washing machine on Med water level with no clothes and no soap and see if it backs up, if it does snake again.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

good point / good test and if it doesn't?

Back water valve it?

Comment

If it doesn't back up then I would talk to the upstairs tenant about a different soap or using less. And yes I know it is very hard to get a tenant to do what you ask. I would test it with soap yourself. Is there anyway to really scrape that 2" line with a wide head? Is the upstairs tenant new? Was there ever this problem before?
              Last edited by Cuda; 02-21-2008, 05:46 PM.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Tenant has been there for years.

Maybe I can go with a wide head and try again ...but it's got to be a suds accumulation because the kitchen sink downstairs when being used never backs uo and it goes through the exact same line. Only when the washin machine upstairs is being drained to it backup ....thnx cuda

Comment

you said " system has pour design" ...well re design guaranted no call back aswell as customer for life . increase pipe size.

Comment

Working...
                  X