• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Roundup Strategies?

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    Ahhh....! So you've watched your competition setup before

WRONG!

Comon now, we're not talking about machines that have to slowly keep nudging through root balls hoping for them to curl into the spirals; ever estimated how much time you invest cleaning cables that wide looped?

I remember, it sucked!

Tighter spiral<> less cleaning we are talking cleaning the drains, not just pushing cable. since i have first hand experience with sectionals and drum. i can tell you that a drum typically cuts from the front of the cutter while a sectional with it's open wind cuts from the front cutter and along it's entire path.
    so what you're saying is get in and get out. forget about real cleaning.

Josh's idea is perfect, puts his drum machines to task as well and I'm sure they perform just as well as the spartans.

yes they do, as i own a spartan 300 and it too sits idle in my shed. never even made it into the shop. problem is spartan doesn't make a sectional to compare. but general does. and i own 2 drum machines and 2 sectional machines from general. the sectional are right up there with the ridgid. the drums are not in the same class as the ridgid.

I don't think I'd want to be in the room, let alone the city limits if you wound up a K-60 to that tight of a torque; someone is definitely going to get hurt.

100% wrong. a sectional will stop instantly when you release the clutch. i have never even twisted a sectional cable. and when i did need to break a 7/8'' cable to get it out. it was much harder than i ever thought it would be. i used a come along and it surprised me how hard that was to pull.

Is this what you were concerned about?

You do know if I ever make it to one of these, I'm putting one arm behind my back, that's a promise. No reason to go on a roof because there's no reason you can't hit a clog on the ground level. Should I reference the post from "plumber" for clarity?

Josh is on the right path, he knows that's a true testament of drain cleaning and what hard obstructions are about. TORQUE delivered to the end of your cable.

wrong again. torque is when you are stuck in a drain. keeping the cutting speed up is what does the cutting. a cable not spinning is not going to clean.

I'll supply all the pipe/dowel rods (large ones like 1") and see who's cable flies out of the drain fastest when it torques down to

chew

chew

chew

tell you what, i'll rig up a 2x4 and i'll cut through it with a sectional before you can figure out how to do that with a drum.

And,

how many times you go to the truck
    how much mess you create in your work area
    how much time from truck arrival to tailights leaving

First one to eat a twinkie with the machine unmanned, wins!

i'll even take you on the twinkie contest. i have pictures from the christmas party to prove that. fastest one to down 3 without water
    and no .

all talk, you better come out and prove it to me

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

tell you what, i'll rig up a 2x4 and i'll cut through it with a sectional before you can figure out how to do that with a drum.

rick.

This I want to see and lets see you do it at,hummmmm lets say 100`
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I'm too tired to type; I promise to keep it under 1000 characters
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          This I want to see and lets see you do it at,hummmmm lets say 100`
          we all know a 2x4 is not a stoppage. but my buddy steve and josh have seen me do it. no it's not 100' away. it was just a couple of feet away and in a special jig to hold it in place. 1.25'' sectional with a k1500 machine.

now a 7/8'' machine will do it too, but just at a slower pace as the cable is not as stiff. it's all in the cutter and speed.

the drum machines don't have the speed nor the cutter choice.

just look at all the different styles of cutters for the sectional that are not offered for the drums. there is a reason for this.
          ridgid knows it and so do i.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

remember, the only drain cleaning equipment adam owns is a plunger

i'm giving him a crash course. what are you afraid of adam too

robert is also a drum guy, so not quite sure if he is your spy.

why not come out yourself and we'll give you that demo you've been waiting for.

rick.
            I didn't buy it either,it came with the house.Mellie is the only one certified on it.

Comment

we are talking cleaning the drains, not just pushing cable. since i have first hand experience with sectionals and drum. i can tell you that a drum typically cuts from the front of the cutter while a sectional with it's open wind cuts from the front cutter and along it's entire path.
              so what you're saying is get in and get out. forget about real cleaning.

And I don't have experience with both? Remember, I stated that I ran the Ridgid-Kollman in my humble beginnings, the electric eel. That's all the rental yards had. Not to knock the rental yards but the equipment I was renting was in great shape, new. So there was no defect in product when I was operating the equipment.

I used that type of equipment till 1998 and enough was enough. Too much work and too my physical enduring the task at hand to clear the drain. Constantly touching those cables, constantly cleaning those cables between jobs became a nightmare. Not all obstructions are clear water clogs. Do a job where the main is laying nearly flat, old OLD sewage as black as black gets and now you have a cable reversing out of the machine that absolutely smells to high hell, customer looking at you like the end of the world is near....both healthwise and on a cleanliness standard. Asking to clean those cables at your customer's driveway, basement, anywhere is to say the least, dangerous because you're spreading the germs that should be minimized at all times. The drum offers that convenience completely.

If that open wind is doing the work of cleaning.....how is that achieved on a continual basis when you basically "hand feed" that cable to the obstruction, then only clutch that machine when you have to maneuver a hard turn fitting or the obstruction itself? The cable "only" turns when it's being clutched to operate. The drum has that cable spinning from the time it enters till the time it leaves. The spartan has a constant forward clockwise spinning motion that if it has any slight bends in the cable, it's scouring the pipe as it goes, consistently.

Explain to me how it isn't when it's constantly turning, unlike the sectional.

100% wrong. a sectional will stop instantly when you release the clutch. i have never even twisted a sectional cable. and when i did need to break a 7/8'' cable to get it out. it was much harder than i ever thought it would be. i used a come along and it surprised me how hard that was to pull.

Okay, tell me this; I'm "assuming" that you cannot engage that sectional cable unless you drop the lever to make it move, correct? Now, tell me how you run your sectional and put 2 hand pressure to maneuver a hard obstruction and be able to hold that clutch to engage motion. A third hand?

When I used sectionals, I had just this problem; I'm trying to engage the clutch to move the cable, I'm using my other hand to push that cable through the obstruction or maneuver a misaligned pipe and the cable starts to "wind up" like it's torquing, winding in the spring back to the user. The machine will tell you instantly the situation and as soon as you let go of the clutch, the cable immediately reverses motion and spins the winding of the cable back to a rested stance. Don't tell me that every drain clog goes uneventful without hard blockages; that's not the true reality of drain cleaning. There's clogs I've banged out that took numerous tries and luckily I did get past that misaligned pipe, that rough broken edge but it really sucked using a sectional. That wound up torque has to go somewhere and it's where the cable is exposed outside the pipe back at the user. Look out! Not a common everyday experience but I can name a significant amount of jobs, their locations that tell of the words I print out to attest to that event. It sucked to no end.

wrong again. torque is when you are stuck in a drain. keeping the cutting speed up is what does the cutting. a cable not spinning is not going to clean.

Noooooooooo, torque is when a cable attachment has approached an obstruction, the attachment has either stopped or is turning very slowly and it's trying to wind the cable by it's coiled design back to the machine to exert foot pound strength to break that obstruction free. That's why I run inner-core cables because as soon as this equation comes into play, it bears down on that inside core and stiffens that cable up to deliver hard breakthrough ability at the end of the cable, starting at the machine.

That sectional large cable to me is a loose cannon inside the drain because it's so damn springy, and that can have you pushing literally feet (estimating 1-3' of cable into that drain that can push right back out at you if you're trying to maneuver a hard turn or pass through some massive roots, pray that you don't bring back a whole bunch of roots on one pass, otherwise you're hurting when you pull back (you mentioned come-a-long, I didn't )
              and the cable won't let you pull it out. The tight cable curl prevents this on a drum machine and concentrates what you retrieve solely to the cable end, that's it.

Get stuck? Carefully, CAREFULLY reverse your machine on a spartan and understand that you're risking unscrewing your attachment, understand your revolution of the cable is a thread score on that 2' leader with about 2" of fine threads.

Why.....on earth would Josh even mention this experiment if it didn't provide clarity to the effectiveness of drain cleaning equipment..........? I've never used a Ridgid Drum machine but I can already tell you that I'm appreciative of their plastic drums, no matter if they wear out or not; that equates to lightness which is not found with my spartan. If I bought the 2001 model I wouldn't be making that judgement call. I just did not see the reasoning to buy the larger setup knowing the 1065 was more towards 6"-10" lines and my work is mainly 3"-6", always.

a cable not spinning is not going to clean.
              My very point with a drum machine that the cable is always moving, constantly.....

Oh yeah?! I'm bringing a 12" maple tree! First one who bores a hole through it end to end gets all your drain cleaning equipment!

i'll even take you on the twinkie contest. i have pictures from the christmas party to prove that. fastest one to down 3 without water
              and no .

all talk, you better come out and prove it to me

Okay you win on the twinkie contest, But I have no problem buying you all the sugary snacks you want, especially when you're handing me a grand for my efforts!!!!!

Like I said, I'm heading to Phoenix to get edjumakatid on misting fans in a couple months, I can't see why I can't swing down to LA and find out why it's okay to be a kentucky redneck.

It's definitely true....we both love and hold our equipment dear to us. I did however find your hesitation to josh's example of the "first test" to me a little telling........no?

I can honestly say, and I'm sure other spartan owners will stand with me on this statement....but I say you can make that mock test as hard and is difficult as you want, doesn't really matter. If we're in this field of work on a regular basis, there's not really anything that's unmanageable with either piece of equipment.

It's the "what takes more effort" that I hold my ground on when we chat about this.

Why else would I of left sectionals, never to go back rick? Oh that's right, I'm lazy. Somewhere I know I've mentioned this factoid, for the record. Wouldn't the case be that IF I wasn't effectively cleaning these drains.....that my customer base would be instantly calling me back, telling me that I did not do a correct job? YES

To Mark,

That's how I started my business; injured my back moving a 1065 around 4-5 times a day up and down rickety steps. Horrible. That union plumber forever changed his thinking on 1 man band operation of a large machine because he was sued by an individual after a permanent back injury. This was long after I was gone.

My last day with that fool was when I pulled a 100 machine up a 3 stringer set of concrete steps at a former cincinnati's city council member's home. Tore groin muscles and indirectly injured my back. Thank goodness I had a girlfriend at the time with helping hands.

Crappy days,

A couple days? If I'm still alive, let's chat ole chap when 20 years passes and see how inclined you are to do that manual physical labor. I find great pleasure pushing a ball handled lever a couple inches either way and watch a machine push and pull that cable in and out, maybe give it a helping hand from time to time. It's easy! Cheesey Wheezie like Japaneezie!
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-22-2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

There should be more then 1 competition going...Sure do cable vs. sectional (My secret weapon will win either way).

Maybe do something Water Jets too.

You West Coasters have your meetings, strategize the best you can, your gonna need it to keep up with us young guys
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Now I wish I still had my K75, I would be happy to show these drum guys how it should be done, Fast and complete! I run 105' with roots at 70' and 85' and finished in less than 30 minutes.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

We have a k-75 here...

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                      Now I wish I still had my K75, I would be happy to show these drum guys how it should be done, Fast and complete! I run 105' with roots at 70' and 85' and finished in less than 30 minutes.

A K-75 are you kidding me? By the time you get that thing ready to rock and roll, my drum machine will have already cleared the blockage
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

dunbar, of course i'm going to respond to your jibberish, but joey is yelling at me to get ready for dinner.

and i'm more scared of her, than you

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

dunbar, of course i'm going to respond to your jibberish, but joey is yelling at me to get ready for dinner.

and i'm more scared of her, than you

rick.

Thanks for the warning!

Have a large seat at the table for me!! I'll try to have manners even though we're dealing with my 4 stomachs!

Comment

I love this place It`s getting GOOD!!!! or is that deep???.....rotflmao
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                              now that's what i'm talking dan

the k-75 is a scaled down 7/8'' version of the k-1500.

dan, come to the showdown and be on team sectional. we'll show them even a non plumber can smoke the drummies

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                                There should be more then 1 competition going...Sure do cable vs. sectional (My secret weapon will win either way).

Maybe do something Water Jets too.

You West Coasters have your meetings, strategize the best you can, your gonna need it to keep up with us young guys
                                yes, you young guys can lug your 250# machines up and down the stairs while us seasoned old timers will run our 35# k-60's up and down.

you better get some sleep as you're going to need it. i'll just stay up continuing to rag on you

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X