Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid Roundup Strategies?

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    I used that type of equipment till 1998 and enough was enough. Too much work and too my physical enduring the task at hand to clear the drain. Constantly touching those cables, constantly cleaning those cables between jobs became a nightmare. Not all obstructions are clear water clogs. Do a job where the main is laying nearly flat, old OLD sewage as black as black gets and now you have a cable reversing out of the machine that absolutely smells to high hell, customer looking at you like the end of the world is near....both healthwise and on a cleanliness standard. Asking to clean those cables at your customer's driveway, basement, anywhere is to say the least, dangerous because you're spreading the germs that should be minimized at all times. The drum offers that convenience completely.

didn't anyone teach you to run water while snaking to help wash the stoppage away. also a great way to wash the snakes clean while pulling out.
    the tight wind cable will retain a whole lot more water than an open wind cable. i even drilled a hole in my drum to help drain the drum while still in a standing position. the factory drain is on it's back.
    600 rpm spins the water off a lot easier than 190 rpm.
    my cable come back so dry i don't even need the guide hose indoors.

If that open wind is doing the work of cleaning.....how is that achieved on a continual basis when you basically "hand feed" that cable to the obstruction, then only clutch that machine when you have to maneuver a hard turn fitting or the obstruction itself? The cable "only" turns when it's being clutched to operate. The drum has that cable spinning from the time it enters till the time it leaves. The spartan has a constant forward clockwise spinning motion that if it has any slight bends in the cable, it's scouring the pipe as it goes, consistently.

Explain to me how it isn't when it's constantly turning, unlike the sectional.

once again a 600 rpm machine spinning with an open wind acts like an auger for the entire length. 190rpm tight wind is not cleaning as fast as 600 open.
    i can push the sectional cable by hand a lot farther in than a non sectional cable. but i do run the machine as needed. the cutter i use is typically 1/2'' smaller than the pipe on cast and full size on plastic and clay.
    i run the cable back and forth as i clean the line. i can actually cover more pipe faster than a drum auto feeder can go in and out. a good auto feeder is 22' per minute. a good sectional operator can move the cable faster than that if needed. so if the rpm is 3 times faster than a drum. technically, i can clean 3 times faster and produce the same results.

Okay, tell me this; I'm "assuming" that you cannot engage that sectional cable unless you drop the lever to make it move, correct? Now, tell me how you run your sectional and put 2 hand pressure to maneuver a hard obstruction and be able to hold that clutch to engage motion. A third hand?

typically i only need 1 hand to feed and 1 to engage the clutch. but when i do need to use 2 hands, i use my forearm on the clutch and my 2nd hand is able to work the cable. i've even used my butt to engage and free both hands. but usually it's 1 hand to feed and 1 to clutch.

When I used sectionals, I had just this problem; I'm trying to engage the clutch to move the cable, I'm using my other hand to push that cable through the obstruction or maneuver a misaligned pipe and the cable starts to "wind up" like it's torquing, winding in the spring back to the user. The machine will tell you instantly the situation and as soon as you let go of the clutch, the cable immediately reverses motion and spins the winding of the cable back to a rested stance. Don't tell me that every drain clog goes uneventful without hard blockages; that's not the true reality of drain cleaning. There's clogs I've banged out that took numerous tries and luckily I did get past that misaligned pipe, that rough broken edge but it really sucked using a sectional. That wound up torque has to go somewhere and it's where the cable is exposed outside the pipe back at the user. Look out! Not a common everyday experience but I can name a significant amount of jobs, their locations that tell of the words I print out to attest to that event. It sucked to no end.

tell me this. what is safer to operate. a sectional cable that stops spinning the instant you let off the clutch/ let go.

or a drum machine that acts as a flywheel and will continue to spin even once you let off the foot pedal. possibly up to 6- 10 rotations.

i can throttle the sectional cable into a tight fitting or turn. and stop in an instant. no drum continuing to turn or flywheel affect.
    a drum without much cable in the line will torque up super fast. there is no spring to wind in a cable only a few feet in.

Nooo, torque is when a cable attachment has approached an obstruction, the attachment has either stopped or is turning very slowly and it's trying to wind the cable by it's coiled design back to the machine to exert foot pound strength to break that obstruction free. That's why I run inner-core cables because as soon as this equation comes into play, it bears down on that inside core and stiffens that cable up to deliver hard breakthrough ability at the end of the cable, starting at the machine.

i use cutting speed to cut. not torque to break a stoppage free. why do you think a drum machine will torque up and then spin back wards super fast when you hit a dead stop. the sectional is not torquing up. it's spinning as it continues to cut.

That sectional large cable to me is a loose cannon inside the drain because it's so damn springy, and that can have you pushing literally feet (estimating 1-3' of cable into that drain that can push right back out at you if you're trying to maneuver a hard turn or pass through some massive roots, pray that you don't bring back a whole bunch of roots on one pass, otherwise you're hurting when you pull back (you mentioned come-a-long, I didn't )
    and the cable won't let you pull it out. The tight cable curl prevents this on a drum machine and concentrates what you retrieve solely to the cable end, that's it.

i can guarantee you that trying to use a 3/4'' drum cable on a 3'' or 4'' styrene area drain with non directional fittings and tees is not going to work. this is that junk pipe that is not glued and the fittings are tight turn. the only tool i've had any luck with is a jetter or a 7/8'' sectional.

my auger cutter found it's way outside of the pipe and worked it's way into the dirt with roots that were no longer roots. i used a come along to attempt to pull out the cable. no luck as it only was stretching. i ended up using a grinder to cut it off. a week later i saw cut the concrete and fixed the lines. this junk was installed 14 years ago and had never been maintained by the homeowner. outside area drains with junk pipe are hit and miss. this one was a miss.

Get stuck? Carefully, CAREFULLY reverse your machine on a spartan and understand that you're risking unscrewing your attachment, understand your revolution of the cable is a thread score on that 2' leader with about 2" of fine threads.

why would they make a cutter that unscrews in the line and will never come back?

Like I said, I'm heading to Phoenix to get edjumakatid on misting fans in a couple months, I can't see why I can't swing down to LA and find out why it's okay to be a kentucky redneck.

make sure to let us know. we'll give you the plumbercrack treatment i'll even let you have my cherry

Why else would I of left sectionals, never to go back rick? Oh that's right, I'm lazy. Somewhere I know I've mentioned this factoid, for the record. Wouldn't the case be that IF I wasn't effectively cleaning these drains.....that my customer base would be instantly calling me back, telling me that I did not do a correct job? YES

dunbar, i don't remember if you own a camera? but i can honestly tell you, there are so many times i will camera a job that was just cleaned by others. the line is nowhere clean. in fact many times the camera will not even pass the area. when i get done with my sectional, and make a before and after tape. you wouldn't even know it was the same line.

why is it that when other plumbers fail with their drum machines, i go there with my sectional and get it done? i have one sch. for tuesday with another plumbing company. how many other plumbing companies hire you to bail them out?

Crappy days,

A couple days? If I'm still alive, let's chat ole chap when 20 years passes and see how inclined you are to do that manual physical labor. I find great pleasure pushing a ball handled lever a couple inches either way and watch a machine push and pull that cable in and out, maybe give it a helping hand from time to time. It's easy! Cheesey Wheezie like Japaneezie!
    i'll be 45 in a month or so. i can still move and install any water heater by myself. up stairs and in basements. it's all in using your head, not just strength. the same goes true with jetting and snaking. a 35# machine that can do the same as a 250# machine is using my head.

with 3-750, 2-7500 and a spartan 5/8'' 300, and 2 general 1/2'' machines all sitting idle due to a 35# machine, you should take notice.

looking forward to the ridgid roundup. looking forward to giving you a lesson.

looking forward to a west coast get together

rick.

had to delete to under 10,000 characters
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i'll be 45 in a month or so. i can still move and install any water heater by myself. up stairs and in basements. it's all in using your head, not just strength. the same goes true with jetting and snaking. a 35# machine that can do the same as a 250# machine is using my head.

with 3-750, 2-7500 and a spartan 5/8'' 300, and 2 general 1/2'' machines all sitting idle due to a 35# machine, you should take notice.

looking forward to the ridgid roundup. looking forward to giving you a lesson.

looking forward to a west coast get together

rick.

had to delete to under 10,000 characters
      What west coast get together.
      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

yes, you young guys can lug your 250# machines up and down the stairs while us seasoned old timers will run our 35# k-60's up and down.

you better get some sleep as you're going to need it. i'll just stay up continuing to rag on you

rick.

Ricky Ricky Ricky...You know, i will watch and listen to how you do things. WTH, you earned the right to talk all the crap you want Your a seasoned veteran.

After your done talking, after your done doing your machines, and clearing your lines, you can sit back and watch how its done in the 2000's

Ill bring my Icy Hot for you. You can apply to your knees and back. Oh and by the way, on that autograph that you PM'd me about, what was that inscription you wanted me to write on there " To Rick, You put up a good fight, better luck next year "08" Ridgid Roundup Champ and your pal Greg!
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
          To Rick, You put up a good fight, better luck next year "08" Ridgid Roundup Champ and your pal Greg!
          Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!!!!
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
            What west coast get together.
            Dunbar is coming out to Pheonix to do some research on his misters.He's considering coming out to L.A.for a get together and premier entertainment.

Are you coming Crappy?

Comment

Ricky Ricky Ricky...You know, i will watch and listen to how you do things. WTH, you earned the right to talk all the crap you want Your a seasoned veteran.

After your done talking, after your done doing your machines, and clearing your lines, you can sit back and watch how its done in the 2000's

Ill bring my Icy Hot for you. You can apply to your knees and back. Oh and by the way, on that autograph that you PM'd me about, what was that inscription you wanted me to write on there " To Rick, You put up a good fight, better luck next year "08" Ridgid Roundup Champ and your pal Greg!

I`m not sure that you`re totally talking to Rick here I`m also in my 40`s and started plumbing around the same time Rick did. I need that Icy Hot stuff But I am keeping up with times and using a DRUM MACHINE and not my back as much as I use to. I love my bucket Where else can you make this good of money setting on a 5gal bucket and letting a machine do all the work for ya
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

now greg, i always like a challenge no fun if i always win.

but just to show you, i still have it. we can have a friendly arm wrestling contest as long as joey doesn't find out. she doesn't want me to hurt anyone.

all i can say is looking forward to dropping you, 1 way or another

now as far as another west coast get together, give us some notice and we'll be glad to entertain you foreigners.

the still undefeated champ

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

We all need to remember to keep this friendly as it is okay for us to agree to disagree on how we do things. More importantly though is some do not realize Rick is a fairly new convert to sectional machines. When I joined the site 3-years ago Rick explained to me why sectional machines had their limitations. On my suggestion Rick bought (and used) a sectional machine and the rest is history. Our trucks all had sectional machines and drum machines on the truck so we could chose which ever we wanted to clean with. At the end of the day the sectionals were used 80% of the time yet 80% of the maintenance was on the drum machines.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

but just to show you, i still have it. we can have a friendly arm wrestling contest as long as joey doesn't find out. she doesn't want me to hurt anyone.

now as far as another west coast get together, give us some notice and we'll be glad to entertain you foreigners.

rick.

Arm wrestling?? are you kidding me You have a better chance at beating me in drain competitions then you do in arm wrestling.

You always win cause you havent had to face me yet. We all know how those West Coasters do things, now let us show you how its done when you come over to the East Coast
                    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      We all need to remember to keep this friendly as it is okay for us to agree to disagree on how we do things. More importantly though is some do not realize Rick is a fairly new convert to sectional machines. When I joined the site 3-years ago Rick explained to me why sectional machines had their limitations. On my suggestion Rick bought (and used) a sectional machine and the rest is history. Our trucks all had sectional machines and drum machines on the truck so we could chose which ever we wanted to clean with. At the end of the day the sectionals were used 80% of the time yet 80% of the maintenance was on the drum machines.

Mark

Mark, its all good, and Rick knows its all good. He has to put up a good fight to keep face

He breaks em right back as you can see (well trys to anyway)

The games is the fun thing... Wait till i bust out my FLAT RATE BOOK at the round up

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        I`m not sure that you`re totally talking to Rick here I`m also in my 40`s and started plumbing around the same time Rick did. I need that Icy Hot stuff But I am keeping up with times and using a DRUM MACHINE and not my back as much as I use to. I love my bucket Where else can you make this good of money setting on a 5gal bucket and letting a machine do all the work for ya

Wow and you were the one i was really worried about

Guess its going to be an easy victory all around for me

Comment

Lota smack being talked here. I dont want anyone getting their feelings hurt if they loose. If Rick wins he will gloat for the entire next year

Comment

rick.
                            The winner can take on Allen Fischer, hes over 50 and will whoop both you're ases.
                            THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                              The winner can take on Allen Fischer, hes over 50 and will whoop both you're ases.

Is that like the Bobby Fischer of Chess?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                                Lota smack being talked here. I dont want anyone getting their feelings hurt if they loose. If Rick wins he will gloat for the entire next year

key words "If Rick wins" Doesnt he gloat enough already LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X