X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Drains Through Roof Vents

Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-10-2010, 05:28 PM.

Re: Cleaning Drains Through Roof Vents

New propertys would have clean outs installed per code so either way you should not have a problem
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I do vents when I really, really, really have too

I use my drum machine right now, but think I have found a use for the K-60.

I hate roof vents because the risk of getting stuck and the loss of cleaning ability.

Even pulling a toilet is horrible, going through the closet bend, the santee then the comby on most set ups greatly reduces the cleaning ability.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I go on a roof all the time. Be wary of going into a 2" vent into the main line. Catch into a big root ball and you'll rethink the pulling toilet.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I almost never go through vents. If there is no cleanout, I pull a toilet.
          The K-60 is the best for roof vents if you have to do it.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I go on a roof all the time. Be wary of going into a 2" vent into the main line. Catch into a big root ball and you'll rethink the pulling toilet.
            i too go on roofs all the time thanks to the k-60

if all i have is a 2'' vent, then i might as well do it from a kitchen or laundry c/o. if the stoppage is in a 3''or 4'' main, you really want to access a 3''or larger vent or c/o or toilet.

most older installations around here were 4'' stacks/ vents through the roof. the newer is typically only 2''. also if plastic, they might use vent 90's that will not allow a real snake through.

size up the job and make an educated decision.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I hate going on roofs, and usually only have to do it maybe 5 times a year.

Here 90% of the work i see have cleanouts, curb traps, or stacks. If non of those apply, then i simply pull a toilet.

I try to avoid roofs at all cost, to dangerous. I dont care what machine you use.
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

If there is no cleanout, I install one. Period! Whether 2", 3",4,irregardless. No fixture pulling, no roof work.

Comment

Originally posted by brittyboy View Post
                  If there is no cleanout, I install one. Period! Whether 2", 3",4,irregardless. No fixture pulling, no roof work.
                  If I told every customer that they would just call another plumber,or drain cleaning outfit.
                  Last edited by Crappy days; 02-25-2008, 08:48 PM.
                  THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Our policy was we would only clean from the roof one time and then if they didn't add a ground level cleanout they would have to call someone else.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      I do vents when I really, really, really have too

I use my drum machine right now, but think I have found a use for the K-60.

I hate roof vents because the risk of getting stuck and the loss of cleaning ability.

Even pulling a toilet is horrible, going through the closet bend, the santee then the comby on most set ups greatly reduces the cleaning ability.
                      Yep what he said.

I`ll do em but I tell em they need a C/O on the ground as I cant get as good of a clean from the roof or a closet bend. I keep thinking some day everyone will have C/O`s but I get 5 or 6 a month that I have to go up on the roof or pull the W/C.
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Good lord, someone (no, like 4 or 5) agrees with me about roof vents. They are about my last choice for access.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i did a 3'' roof vent yesterday / sunday in the rain.

the other guy wanted to run his camera from the roof.

a camera doesn't fix a house full of waste with 3 kids.

a k-60 on the roof makes a very good impression. that's why i call it the

impressionator
                          now they want me to camera the line and install a ground level cleanout.

common sence. clear the line, then worry about the future access.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

rough guess....5-10%.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

rain..... that's when the snow comes down melted, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X