Drain Equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drain Equipment

Hey Ace ,why would someone put ICE down a drain????? Any of You West Coast Guys ever see ice , outside of a gin mill ????????
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tons of it.Usually at night when the slush freezes.The whole mountain is covered in it.Hard to cut an edge into it.Hard on the tailbone,hips and elbows.

Comment

Wow i see alot of you guys are still stuck on useing the drum machines to clean sewer lines out. What it takes you 1hr to 2 hrs to do a sewer. I use the cables and I use a 1/2 drill that i hook up to the cables. The cables are wrapped up in a regular car tire. It takes me 30 to 40 mins to do a sewer. By the time you roll down that heavy drum machine down the stairs i would have already finished the sewer. i can push out atleast 200 ft of cable with the 1/2 drill. If you like ask me and i will show you how to hook up this system its easy and cheap.
        YOUR #2 IS OUR #1 BUSINESS

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog View Post
          Wow i see alot of you guys are still stuck on useing the drum machines to clean sewer lines out. What it takes you 1hr to 2 hrs to do a sewer. I use the cables and I use a 1/2 drill that i hook up to the cables. The cables are wrapped up in a regular car tire. It takes me 30 to 40 mins to do a sewer. By the time you roll down that heavy drum machine down the stairs i would have already finished the sewer. i can push out atleast 200 ft of cable with the 1/2 drill. If you like ask me and i will show you how to hook up this system its easy and cheap.
          There was a post just a few days ago with pictures of what you are talking about.
          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
            There was a post just a few days ago with pictures of what you are talking about.
            Yep,Gene Bickford's little gal.I think Plumber Rick is in violation of patent rights.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Yep,Gene Bickford's little gal.I think Plumber Rick is in violation of patent rights.
              What thread was it.
              THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                mine is a wolf in sheep's clothing. actually a timberwolf with clutch at 300 rpm.

i used it yesterday on a 110' run with 1.25'' cable. the plumber i did it for wasn't able to get his spartan 1065 drum cable through the root mass.

still had a workout in the 80+ weather on the pool deck.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I've been running k60 for three or four weeks now, thanks to this forum. Got it because (1)easier to load, (2) prefer roofs to pulling toilets, most of the time, and (3) based on rave reviews here, wanted to give it a ($2000) try.

3800 has been my roof machine, but cannot exceed 90'. Also, 90' of 1/2 is harder to get on roof than K60.

Will keep using 7500 for now. If I decide I really love the k60, I will get a 1500.

So how do I like the K60 so far?

Have used in garage, but not bathroom so far. Ironically, takes more room than the 7500 because the I keep the cable reel up at the front of the machine. Not smart enough to figure out another system yet. Even in front yards, cleanouts often crowded with landscaping--the k60 requires a little more back strain than I had envisioned (having to put the reel in less than ideal place). But of course the plumbing code requires clearance around cleanout, so that's not the 60's fault.

So, it does take more room.

Secondly, the handle/lever doesn't spring back quite as automatically as I would like, but maybe I'm not doing something quite right.

Thirdly, and this is my main concern with the 60, but I'm sure it's undue, or else Rick and others wouldn't like it so much: the open wind cable, especially the 7/8, "threads itself" into the sewer, especially if there are 90s, and the moreso the further down stream said 90s are--and so while it goes in pretty easy, the trip back out is quite a bit harder, and nerve racking. With my inner core cable, I can usually just drag all 100' back out without spinning the drum at all--it doesn't catch on edges. Not that I drag all 100' out without spinning the drum, but I'm more at ease about going another 20' or 30', especially when I think I'm entering the city main, when I can tug back on the cable every few feet to verify than I'm still okay. Once the 7/8 open wind gets in a good ways, no more tugging--it's threaded in, and it's going to have to be threaded back out.

Which has nothing (?) to do with the k60 perhaps, but only the cable type, but Ridgid only lists open wind with the sectionals, and not inner core.

It's probably not a concern to anyone else in this forum, which is fine, but that's the part about the K60 that gives me some pause. I don't mind that the cable is in sections. I don't mind the setup. I don't mind having a hose handy to keep the cable from overheating. I don't mind getting my hands dirtier. But getting stuck--that's the part that gets my attention. I've never had to retrieve a broken cable, but if it's not just broke, but caught on something, I'm not sure how a retrieving auger is going to get it unstuck, and I'm not sure how digging up the street or the driveway is going to be cheap.

I don't doubt that open wind cleans better, or that sectionals provide better feel and control. They are definitely easier to load and get on roofs, and to know how far you're in. But I'll sacrifice all of that to not get stuck. Inner core may not go in as easy as open wind, but it does seem to come out easier.

On straight runs with wye branch cleanout fittings, the 7/8 open wind does great. But when the second rate plumber uses 90s instead of 45s, and cost-saving cleanout fittings, suddenly better cleaning is not my problem. But getting my cable back out is.

I get my auger heads caught in cast iron several times a month. Very stressful. In fact, I'm constantly debating spear head, or auger head. spear head, or auger head. Spear head can't make the turn, and get in a bind, but auger head wraps around something.

The 60 is all I carry for outside snaking since I've gotten it, and so far, 7500 is just resting back at the house. That's the main reason I bought the 60. So, it's doing well in that regard. I do think it cleans better.

It clears the drain, and it's easier to carry. It'll take a while to decide exactly how much I like it. At this very early stage, I still probably prefer foot pedals and inner core to hand levers and open wind. But transport--wow, the 60 is nice. No one need be offended--I'm brand new with it. I'll always have to have it for roofs, so if nothing else, I'm glad to have it for that.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but one other moderate concern is the ease with which the sectional cable can escape down into the sewer. I understand that you take steps to secure the cable (looping it into the riser, etc), but the point I tried to make elsewhere was that if in the process of securing it, you let go for one second, in many cases it will be gone. Not just on roofs, but even straight runs of plastic down at the yard cleanout. And I don't mean just sort of gone, but with that much weight, really gone. It's just a little harder to rest easy.

But regardless, I'm glad I'm trying it, and if it turns out I don't like the 60, no biggie.

Comment

buyfield, so how do you like it so far

there is a definite learning curve with this new style of a machine. i actually find it much easier to pull out a cable with the sectional as it is more flexible than a drum and you don't have to wind it into the drum. if i do get in a bind. i will just insert it into the machine and spin it a little bit. if need be it can be run in reverse if you really get stuck.

you might want to lay out your cable on the ground if need be to allow for quicker access.

outside i very rarely use my rear guide hose as long as i'm not in the ivy or loose plants.

read and ask as there are plenty of seasoned pros who know the k-60 tricks.

rick.
                    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-29-2008, 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
                    phoebe it is

Comment

That was a great review Buyfield...thanks for all the info.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by buyfield View Post
                        Ironically, takes more room than the 7500 because the I keep the cable reel up at the front of the machine. Not smart enough to figure out another system yet. I'm working on this, just wait, when I get done, I bet I get a Ridgid catalog out of this. I know, don't hold your breath.

Secondly, the handle/lever doesn't spring back quite as automatically as I would like, but maybe I'm not doing something quite right. Mine pops right back up when I let go, hmm?

Which has nothing (?) to do with the k60 perhaps, but only the cable type, but Ridgid only lists open wind with the sectionals, and not inner core. General makes some and they work great though they are heavy. I just bought 4 sections for 160 from cable center.

I get my auger heads caught in cast iron several times a month. Very stressful. In fact, I'm constantly debating spear head, or auger head. spear head, or auger head. Spear head can't make the turn, and get in a bind, but auger head wraps around something. The key is to constantly pull back and forth with the cable, you can't just feed foward.
                        I did a job today after another plumber with a spartan 300 gave up. I had to trip in 4 times to clean the line 90'. I filled the bottom 12" of a 5 gal bucket with baby wipes. And the cause of the stoppage? A broken piece of a toilet flange.
                        Attached Files
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          outside i very rarely use my rear guide hose as long as i'm not in the ivy or loose plants.
                          What i started to do is lay the guide hose on the right side of the machine but don't connect it, just let it lie there. When you run the cable, it'll want to curl to the right but it will hit the guide hose. As long as the cable doesn't curl up, it won't grab to much. When it curls up up, that's when you get the grass balls.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

"General makes some and they work great though they are heavy. I just bought 4 sections for 160 from cable center."

Gear Junkie: Maybe that's what I ought to look into. But does anyone know why Ridgid only likes open wind for the sectionals? Are the innercore harder on the machine? Is open wind more suitable for the 600rpm? Are open wind considered easier to handle for the operator?

The key is to constantly pull back and forth with the cable, you can't just feed foward.

Thanks. Sounds like that might help. What would help even more is for the plumber who installs the system to bear in mind that the reason sanitary sewers are regulated by government is for health, and that likewise the reason sewer/drain lines be easy to clean is not for the convenience of the next plumber but for health, and that therefore the reason you would use two 45s and not a 90, and that you would have cleanouts accessible outside, and cleanouts downstream of ptraps, and wye branch fittings on cleanouts, and cleanouts above, not below, grade, and 3" cleanouts for 3" lines, not 2" cleanouts for 3" lines, is not for the convenience of the next plumber, but for health. One option is to jackhammer, rip up flooring, or dig big holes, and remove and replace the stopped up piping. And then there's always that other option, which I've heard of here and there, which is to have ready access to the stopped up lines to where you can just run steel cables and such down the line. Intriguing idea. Sort of like how intriguing it would be if, instead of having to pull a toilet full to the rim with some sort of blackish bad smelling stuff, if you could just, say, have ready access to the line from the outside.

Probably very naive, right? Sort of like how naive it is to expect him to get the flange 12" off the wall instead of 10.75". Good grief, now that's asking a lot, to get that extra 1 1/4". Never mind that 12.5 or 13 or 13.5 or 14 would be perfectly fine. No, let's make it 10.75, so that the tank will have to lean for the next forty years.

All right, I'm through.

Comment

buyfield-check your private messages
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben. Oh my goodness. Didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X