X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Equipment

Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 03-10-2010, 05:29 PM.

Re: Drain Equipment

I have a K380 drum machine for anything from 2" kitchen drains to 4" soft-sewer clogs. Its only good for 75 feet of 5/8" cable but its a good machine for the low price and light-weight.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

drum-spartan 100
      sectional-k-50

Both will do a fine job, the rest is personal prefence.

I would still get a K60, but that's just me.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

When I started I was trained on and used Gorlitz for almost ten years. Since listening to members on the forum rave about there Ridgid machines, I started to switch brands. Know I have a two k 39 af for tubs, shower, lavatory and laundry lines. A k 3800 for kitchen stoppage's or longer secondary runs. A k 60 for any roof work . I still have my Gorlitz mainline machine although will eventually change that out for a k 7500. The thing I like about Ridgid is there easy connect system and the on line catalog. Makes things real easy to fix, when repairs or parts are needed. They are one of the more expensive drain machine brands, however just like anything you get what you pay for. I also have a k 50 in the garage. For overall work outside I would say the k 50 or k60. If you need a good enclosed drum for inside lines like kitchen, lavs , laundry k 3800 or k 50. However the k 50 is not going to handle roots to well.
        Last edited by Crappy days; 02-25-2008, 01:26 AM.
        THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          I've read the majority of the posts on drum vs. sectional, K50, K60 etc. My question is what drain cleaning equipment would you recommend if you RARELY encounter roots. Majority of stoppages I come across involve user error (paper products), no maintenance (grease etc), and old 1.5" to 2" galvanized closing up. So, what's the best bang for the buck to conquer these in you guys opinion?
          not sure about the best bang for the buck, as a k-60 with 5/8'' and 7/8'' cable will run you in the area of $1700-1800.

while a k3800 (commercial)will run around $1100. a k380 is an older machine and has been replaced by the k400 (homeowner), $400-500. the problem is a drum is ruff to take on a roof and the 3800/400 will run a 1/2'' cable max. 1/2'' is not very good for 4'' especially if you do encounter roots like most of us do.

i can write a book on the advantages of a sectional, k-60. i guess if you read back some, i've already done that

there is no doubt that if there is only 1 machine i could carry on my truck, it would be a k-60 without a doubt. with the selection of cables and cutters, you will have no problem doing lines from 1.5''- 6'' with and without roots. from inside a house/ building to outside to roof/ basement. there is not a place you can't take this little machine.

don't trust me, read what others have said

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I have used the K60 and think its great. The only drawback I see, is using it in the house when a toilet has to be pulled to access the line. How do you handle that situation? I am asking because I will be ordering a good root-cutting machine soon, and the K60 is at the top of my list, but the drum machines seem more indoor friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
              Rick, I have used the K60 and think its great. The only drawback I see, is using it in the house when a toilet has to be pulled to access the line. How do you handle that situation? I am asking because I will be ordering a good root-cutting machine soon, and the K60 is at the top of my list, but the drum machines seem more indoor friendly.
              they are and they aren't.

today (sunday) i did a job on a house that 2 others walked away from. actually 1 walked and the second was asked to leave

sure i could have pulled the toilet, but the line was full in the toilets and tubs/ showers. so i chose the 3'' roof vent in the slight drizzling weather.

at 60' out i hit the stoppage. a combination of roots and baby wipes.

between looking for an access location, getting my ladder,machine and running the line 2 times, i was gone in 75 minutes without any mess or cleanup.

so how do i handle an inside job? i do if needed, but try to go from the outside or roof if need be.

a big drum machine is 250# and is not simple to fit inside of some bathroom layouts. the small k-60 will easily fit and the guide hose can actually loop around in the bathroom.

i use to be forced to bring in my k7500 into the house if there was no c/o. now i have a simple choice with the k60.

the roof is typically the easier, faster and cleaner choice.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks, Rick. Its been a few years since I used one, but I remember they were WAY easier to use and carry than the big drums. I have been contemplating it a lot lately and your reply has convinced me to go with the K60 100%. Very versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  Thanks, Rick. Its been a few years since I used one, but I remember they were WAY easier to use and carry than the big drums. I have been contemplating it a lot lately and your reply has convinced me to go with the K60 100%. Very versatile.

hey drum guys, are you listening

what's the score between drum sales and sectional sales

if i had a dime for every k-60

once you get it, ask questions. there are plenty of guys here that know the sectional tricks. get good and proficient and come out to the roundup.

lets kick some drum butt

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

When is the round up.
                    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

I will admit that I wish I had a big drum machine inside (have a k3800). A k60 is no problem, just a little more prep work. I keep a canvas dropcloth in the truck and it does the trick. One good thing about the 60 inside is how small it is. Many houses here have the vanity partially blocking the door so you're not getting a drum machine in there unless you pick it up and I don't see that happening.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

GLAD to see you back Gear. I thought you left us.
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Thanks Gene, means alot.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

gear junkie I take my K-7500 inside small bathrooms all the time. The other day I pulled a 6` root ball out a closet bend I know that your little K-60 couldn`t do it with out you pulling the He!! out of the cable. My K-7500 did all the pulling for me and it did take a while as it was 4" a round.

BTW I dont get "KickBacks on the K-7500 like you do Rick on the K-60 .....rotflmao
                            Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 02-25-2008, 09:44 PM.
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

What about the K-1500, I have never used that one before. It seems superior to the K60?

Comment

Working...
                              X