X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct TV great aim

Had a job today where 3 other plumbers have been out there. I came out and ran my 4 bladed cutter first(starting to become my favorite). I couldn't go further then 34 ft and thought the line was broke so I ran a straight auger in and went through pretty easy. There was some weight on the cable but I wasn't stuck so I kept going till I hit 75'. I pulled these roots back and inspected the line. Not impressive at all but I pulled these roots backs and got a 7/8" cable past a 2" gal pipe that direct TV had driven straight through a 4" line when they installed their dish. I had to correct my pic of the sewer line and can't get the file any smaller but here are the roots. If I figure the other pic out, I'll post it.
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Direct TV great aim

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Had a job today where 3 other plumbers have been out there. I came out and ran my 4 bladed cutter first(starting to become my favorite). I couldn't go further then 34 ft and thought the line was broke so I ran a straight auger in and went through pretty easy. There was some weight on the cable but I wasn't stuck so I kept going till I hit 75'. I pulled these roots back and inspected the line. Not impressive at all but I pulled these roots backs and got a 7/8" cable past a 2" gal pipe that direct TV had driven straight through a 4" line when they installed their dish. I had to correct my pic of the sewer line and can't get the file any smaller but here are the roots. If I figure the other pic out, I'll post it.
    Free resizing software

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It could happen to anyone, but I'd pay to see the look on the guys face at the dish company when he gets the call.

Comment

you're lucky it was just cable tv.

years ago i had to clear a line that others couldn't keep clear.

my real blades on my k7500, (pre sectional days) cut into a high pressure hdpe gas main that was running through the 4'' clay sewer.

why no one else in the 4 years it's been there with 4 cleanings per year never damaged the line is beyond me.

gas co. paid for all repairs and prior cleanings performed by others.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          you're lucky it was just cable tv.

years ago i had to clear a line that others couldn't keep clear.

my real blades on my k7500, (pre sectional days) cut into a high pressure hdpe gas main that was running through the 4'' clay sewer.

why no one else in the 4 years it's been there with 4 cleanings per year never damaged the line is beyond me.

gas co. paid for all repairs and prior cleanings performed by others.

rick.
          Probably, because you're the only one who used a real heavy-duty machine with a good-cleaning head. Many guys just go down once with a small-spear-head, drop the water and run.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Good thing it was fiber optic lines
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

GJ, we practice catch and release around here. Did you let that worm go, or keep him for a pet?
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Ben, what camera do you use to take your pics. Great pic. Maybe its just cause you know how to focus and hold still when snapping the shot.

So guys.. how do you solve something like this. Dig up and jog the sewer line around or move the direct tv line?

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                  Good thing it was fiber optic lines
                  It was a galvanized fence pole that the small satelitte was mounted to. To make sure that was the problem without a locator, I put a big spiral sawtooth blade and put the head right against the pipe. I then tighten the back end of the k60 so the it grabbed the cable and bounced off the pipe. I went to the front of the house and touched the pipe. Felt like I was holding a wacky packer.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    Ben, what camera do you use to take your pics. Great pic. Maybe its just cause you know how to focus and hold still when snapping the shot.
                    Canon powershot a520. It has a close up feature that helps out with these shots.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I saw on an OSHA web site(i think) a guy was snaking a main and saw some bubbles coming up. He realized it was gas. He got everyone out and the house went KABOOM!!! Turns out the gas line was drilled right through the main.

I just did one the other day where the electrician some how managed to drive his ground rod right through the main.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Heres the pic Ben was trying to post. Just a snapshot of the screen.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

So guys.. how do you solve something like this. Dig up and jog the sewer line around or move the direct tv line?
                          We dig up the sewer and repair it and leave the Dish laying on the ground

Done it a few times

Also cut a 300 pair phone line Repaired the sewer and filled the hole and called the Phone company and told em they need to do a repair as the line was no longer blocking the sewer and they needed to dig their own hole to do the repair
                          Been there done that and they wont give you a brake if you cut their cable so why give then a free hole to work in
                          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 02-25-2008, 11:16 PM.
                          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            ...ran my 4 bladed cutter...
                            I thought I was the only one. I braze mine up out of 2 two bladers.

Nice job. Never had that but had something similar; inside building, down in crawlspace, someone had drilled a horzontal 4" on top and poked a 1/2" soft copper drip leg from an appliance of some sort, can't remember what, into it. Fit perfectly between my blades and boy did it grab that cable.
                            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Mine is shaped like an arrowhead. I'm finding it great for grease and it bounces past offset without digging in like a spiral saw could.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X