• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do???

do I send this back???

Do I get a new helper???

From looking at a twist Test

this cable broke before it should have. It not all bent up like the one in the Twist Test.
    This was a new 100` I/C Cable. Broke at 56`.

Should I just do the repair or should I send it back for replacement? I got all up in my new guy`s butt for braking a new cable but after bringing it in the shop for repair I`m starting to feel bad about being up his butt so hard. Theres some twist but not enough to brake the cable....hummmmm

I took this cable out of the machine and finished the job with an old bent up cable that was replaced with a new cable. I`m thinking, If the new cable broke on this line the old cable shouldnt have done the job.?????? The old cable had over a year on it....hummmmmmmmm

I wasn`t in the room when he broke it so I don't know what really happened other then what he told me. "IF" what he say`s is true, it shouldn`t have broken.
    Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 02-26-2008, 02:20 AM.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Re: What would you do???

These things happen , although I highly doubt it just broke. I would assume user error. You might want to train a little better with the equipment.
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Think I`ll go sleep on it before I do the repair It`s late and I haven`t had much sleep lately.

Man If I only had a "Time Clock Job" This 24HR crap is for the birds
      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 02-26-2008, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Talk to your supplier; you may have got a bad cable. If so you won't be the only one, and repairing it will just put it out in the field to break in a line where you will have a devil of a time getting the lost end back. It takes some doing to snap one. If I hurt a cable I usually only kink it, and I know well ahead of the event I am overtorqueing the heck out of it and continue despite that for some reason, usually because the bigger cable I need is back at the shop and I'm willing to risk this one to avoid screwing my day to get it and come back. I can't think what I'd be smoking to go so far as to snap one. I think even a newbie would get enough warning.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

My supplier tells me I have less trouble then anyone that they sale too!
          I have a plumber that call's me all the time because his K-7500 cable is always broken. I myself have never broken a cable in the middle. I have broken some old cables and I have broken some ends off new cables but never broken one in the middle. I would think being it was in the middle, the cable would be all bent to crap???

Comment

Done any drain cleaning calls in the past 8 months involving drain chemicals that the customer put in the drain?

That will cause the above. Here's how I was told of drain chemicals, why you should charge $50-$90 for the exposure:

All steel that is used in the making of those cables is rolled/bent/shaped into position. When those cables get exposed, the chemical itself enters the microscopic cracks caused by the forming process.

This chemical over time crystallizes and weakens the cable considerably inside those invisible cracks, will cause an abrupt break in the line.

I'm always aware of this when I get into a job and the smell of chemicals are obvious; gives me the right to charge more because not only is it dangerous, it's destroying my cables over time.

Cut that section out and send it to a lab; if they find what I'm describing, that's your answer to the problem.
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-26-2008, 03:22 AM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
              I would think being it was in the middle, the cable would be all bent to crap???
              I would think so too.... or at least have that lazy overtorqued spiral to it. I've not broken one in a long while.... sometimes at the tip or a splice just behind where the connector piece screws into the cable. Usually if I wreck a cable I know I'm pushing it; I've cranked it up way too tight and it springs in the reel or does the shoot-out-the-reel-curl-up thing and kinks. I've not snapped one in a long long while and can't remember how I did. How far into the line was the failure point when it snapped? cable size? line size? access point? Was it cranked around bends too tight for its size?
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

all clear, did the cable snap inside the pipe or outside? or did it snap in the drum?

was this the cable he broke working on the oak pallet in the pizza factory?

my guess is it didn't break in the pipe and it broke outside.

i would guess he wound it all the way up and had it spin back wards out of control. being new, he might not of know how to control the out of speed reverse spin.

look at the bright side. no one got hurt

and now you have a new 44' and 55' cable to use for the next 100'+ line.

i don't use cable couplings. never have and never will.

oh, i forgot the k-60 sectionals don't have a way to couple broken cables. just new male and female end connectors.

find out what really happened and take the steps to prevent it in the future.

i wouldn't fire or get rid of the new guy. i know we all have broken a cable or tool in the past. it's part of the learning curve.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick
                  When I walked in the building I saw it sticking about 1` out of the floor C/O. The other end was in the drum. When I asked him to try and pull the end out of the C/O it just pulled out like it never hit anything. Yes this was the line that had the 2X4 in it. Think I`ll just put a coupler on it and not a splicer. If It brakes again I`ll send it back????

Comment

As often as you go through cables, I would suggest switching brands.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That picture of the broken cable reminds me of why I hated drum machines so much. We had cables that looked EXACTLY like that, I think they were from RIDGID. We were breaking so many that my old boss had the rep come out to look at them. The rep didn't have much answer that I remember.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I think this time I`m gonna try the Dura Cable brand. I`ve been gonna try one for a year now but it`s just to easy to get a ridgid cable from Fergueson.

Comment

Don't be too hard on your helper. I broke more than one cable in my day...its part of learning. Just make him fix it himself, and he'll learn the consequences.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The guy I work for is great at snaking drain lines. I however, have a snake disability. On behalf of your new guy, I ask you be merciful to him. I know quite a few guys here have never had problems snaking but I am the exception.

One of the things that really helped me was going on a job and he would critique what I was doing, when and how. It restored his confidence in my ability and gave me more tools and techniques to carry on.

I don't know how your helper feels, but I can remember everyone of my snake "incidents" vividly.
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

i usally fix my cables myself i have the tools to take them apart. That's when i first started now i just buy new cables and scrap the old ones they are heavy so i make the money on scrapping. as for a helper you can blame him crap happens. I do all the work myself i use a helper just to be my slave and carry things around.
                              Last edited by dirtydog; 02-28-2008, 12:50 AM.
                              YOUR #2 IS OUR #1 BUSINESS

Comment

Working...
                              X