X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snaking out a leach field

Don't run into many septic systems out here. Do leach fields need to be snaked out?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Snaking out a leach field

The end is capped,gunna have to suck it out Ben.

Comment

I know but the pipe is perforated and has poo water coming out. Seems like roots would have a happy home. Or maybe the purpose of the leach field is to get rid of the poo water, no matter how it does it-roots sucking it out included?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        The end is capped,gunna have to suck it out Ben.
        That was sposed to be dry humor..................Ben

If a leach system is not working you have lost perculation somehow.Solids could be in the feeder lines.Ground water could be up.Aggregate could be contaminated.

Whatcha got?

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          I know but the pipe is perforated and has poo water coming out. Seems like roots would have a happy home. Or maybe the purpose of the leach field is to get rid of the poo water, no matter how it does it-roots sucking it out included?
          Under no circumstance should solids be contaminating the field.Pump the tank,somethings wrong with it.The field is for liquifer only.

Comment

Nothing like high clay content soils to ruin my day. I seen frozen lines to fields, frozen fields, failed fields, slow fields leading to frozens. And infiltrators... the worst idea since orangeburg. Oddlly, now that I think about it, I have yet to see root problems in fields. Generally I jet the laterals, if no improvement it's time to get a hoe. Seen some good done with hydrogen peroxide. There is too much to tell. What do you have?
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Never seen corugated laterals here JCs; here it is either 4" pvc drilled every so often, or ocaisionally a 'pressure distributed' system; 2" drilled much smaller and less often with a pump behind it. Or just a 55 gal drum with holes knocked in it set in mining tails.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Clogged leach fields are a real issue in some areas.

The primary cause of septic system failure is bio-mat. It's a slimy substance that accumulates in the soil beneath the leach lines, clogging up the soil pores and hindering drainage.

Septic system requirements are changing due to repeated pressure by the EPA. Many localities now require "certified systems" that force tougher compliance requirements for new installations and replacements. You're beginning to see more and more systems with Alarms, Filters and Aerobic Conversion Kits.

An Aerobic Kit is an aftermarket setup. There's an air pump that sits outside the tank which pumps fresh air through a 1/2" PVC pipe into an air diffuser (bubbler) . The diffuser sits at the bottom of the secondary tank. The effluent is continually churned so even the smallest solids settle to the bottom of the tank.

Bacteria additives are also added periodically through the diffuser and mixed in during the bubbling process. The aim is to switch the system from anaerobic to aerobic bacteria. Aerobic (air dependent) bacteria is much more effective than the normal bacteria. The tanks don't smell as bad any longer because of the air and aerobic bacteria. The end result is much cleaner water leaving the tank and aerobic bacteria finding its way to the leach field and consuming the bio-mat. Leach fields are being rejuvenated after 3-6 months and lasting longer. At least - that's what they say.
                Last edited by Pete M; 02-28-2008, 03:04 AM.
                Pete
                Drain Biz
                Articles, Videos, Industry News

Comment

A cable will brake the pipe as the cutter will snag on holes. And if it`s clogged a cable wont do it anyway. You have to JET em out to brake up the bio-mat. The bio-mat will be as thick as 1/4" under the pipe at the openings of the holes. It takes time to JET it out right, you cant just turn the jetter loose. It takes a little working it back and forth.
                  Hope this helps ya
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

This was a hypothetical question.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

So what?? you were just testing us???
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Not testing cause I didn't have a clue about it.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                        X