Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's best to degrease Kitchen drain pipe?

Hi, looking for some advise from the professionals... lately our kitchen sink / drain is clogging up, my attempts to clear it up using the Kwik-Spin + Draino could only relieve it for a few days ...

Finally, picked up the bat-phone for professional help... $140 later and the use of some professional grade power-kwik-spin + hot water flush, they concluded that there ain't any blockage but highly likely it is the grease (from food/cooking).... Their visit has definately resolved the problem.

I like "prevention" better.... so other than routine hot water "flush", would regular detergent (along with hot water flush) do a better trick? Otherwise, is there any products specifically for reducing the built-up of food grease ?

Tks in advance for the advice.
    Last edited by Wagon Man; 02-28-2008, 09:44 AM.

Re: What's best to degrease Kitchen drain pipe?

There are acouple. There is Bio-Clean and SK1. They are designed to eat way grease. They are both powders. Both are bacteria producing enzymes, so it wont harm you, the pipes, or the sewage.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Dawn dish soap,

I put in a grease trap in my meat processing room and wash fats and other down the drain all the time, I dug up the grease trap the other day, (two years) and there was less than a cup of grease in the trap, and the grease and stuff I have put down the drains has been a lot IMO. (I have a big #56 grinder and on making sausage and grinding hamburger, a lot of fat and lard like material builds up in the screw on fatty animals and most of that easily a few cups go down when washing up the grinder, as well the meat and stuff left in the cutter head, (which is about 1" thick),

yes this is small on the farm processing room and only do about 6 to 8 head of beef a year for family through the room.

There was no grease in the pipes that I could see, as well.

I know the locker plant in town uses the same Dawn dish soap,

MY vote is for Dawn dish soap. Jsut use it as your regular dish washing soap, it does a good job on dishes as well.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

enzymes work if you have the time for them to do their job. i tell my clients to boil up a 2+ gallon pot of water and CAREFULLY pour it down the drain every 2 - 3 months depending on the amount of "peceived" grease that makes its way down the drain. Damn is a great greae fighter and if used in moderation won't be a problem for a septic system. if you are on city service than it can be used more if you feel necessary.

hope this helps

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Apparently I am not alone and sounds like Dawn is probably the cheapest (and initial) approach.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Comment

The proper cable and cutter head would have cleaned your line very well.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
              Apparently I am not alone and sounds like Dawn is probably the cheapest (and initial) approach.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
              WELL I AM SORRY I TOALLY DISAGREE WITH THE DAWN SOAP THAT'S WHAT CLOGS THE DRAIN THE FOAM OF THE SOAP. NOW OVER THE 15YRS I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS THIS IS WHAT I TELL MY CUSTOMERS :

POUR DOWN EVERY DRIAN IN THE HOUSE 1/2 GAL OF CLOROX BLEACH. 20 TIMES BETTER THEN DRAINO. USING DRAINO ONLY MAKES YOU CHANGE THE PIPE OUT. BUT YOU HAVE TO USE CLOROX BLEACH NOT A STORE BRAND.

NOW YOU POUR THIS RIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED AND LET IT SIT IN YOUR DRIANS OVERNITE AND WASH THEM OUT IN THE MORNING.

NOW THIS IS ONLY GOOD TO PROLONG A BACK UP IN THE DRIAN YOU STILL HAVE TO SNAKE IT OUT ONCE IN A WHILE.

AND IT IS CHEAPER THEN DAWN SOAP
              YOUR #2 IS OUR #1 BUSINESS

Comment

PT-4 or Bio Clean.
                THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

clorox is bad for septic tanks, which is what we have most of here.

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I have been using Dawn soap in my barn for washing up in the milk and meat rooms for 9 years now, (when I put in the plumbing) it is ABS, and there is no build up in it at all, and since the shop is attached to it, engine grease (in the shower), and other also get washed into the system at times, and there is no build up in the pipes that I have seen or experienced. (and I have checked them out to see).

And since most of do use some from of detergent/soap in washing dishes or other sink washed items, How is it more expensive? (It is one of the cheaper soaps on the market),
                    I am not saying dump it down the drain, but use it as you dish washing soap. ( I mix it 50% with water and use for hand washing soap) as well in the shop/barn/milk/ meat room (all in the same building and septic system). and Dawn is not a real foaming soap IMO. unless you extremely over use it.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I like the "Dawn" idea. When I waterwell drill and we get clay sticking to the bit, we add a chemical which is basically a slippery soap. I magine it would also work with grease to a certain degree.

BHD-anything you haven't done? Your bucket list seems pretty short.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

putting bleach down drains tied to a septic system is a big no-no. it will kill the bacteria that you need in the tank to break down the solids. it would be a much wiser idea to fill kitchen sink with hot tap water once a week and let drain. you should not be dumping any water hotter than 140 deg. down the drain unless it is a commercial dishwasher.
                        ________
                        Vaporizer Review
                        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM.
                        Mike

Comment

Of course you never use bleach in septic system i am not talking about septic system i am talking about regular drains. It really works.
                          YOUR #2 IS OUR #1 BUSINESS

Comment

I am on sewer, and the draining problem I have is related to the kitchen sink, so I guess I'll give also give bleach a try, too

Tks!

Comment

Working...
                            X