X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent mainline cable

Looking at the k1500 manual today at it recommends bending the cable behind the cutter head for a better cleaning action. I'll bend my straight auger, but a cable? Seems like a place where premature breakage could happen due to the constant flexing. Any thoughts?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Bent mainline cable

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Looking at the k1500 manual today at it recommends bending the cable behind the cutter head for a better cleaning action. I'll bend my straight auger, but a cable? Seems like a place where premature breakage could happen due to the constant flexing. Any thoughts?
    Unless I have a leader in front of the blade I always put a slight gooch in my cable. Depending on the drain sometimes several as they help the cable get around bends
    THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

on my k50 yes on my 1500 no need,1 1-4 cable and the right head and a good operator can open a lot of drains.

Comment

I make up bent ~2' leaders out of old cables. Sometimes I want the bend to get around a difficult turn, like going backwards up a swept cleanout, or to help orbit the cutter to scrape the walls when I am doing, say, a 4" line with only a 3" access. sometimes I dont want the bend, so I take it off. I toss the leader and make a new one when/if the cable starts getting a flat worn spot.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          I make up bent ~2' leaders out of old cables. Sometimes I want the bend to get around a difficult turn, like going backwards up a swept cleanout, or to help orbit the cutter to scrape the walls when I am doing, say, a 4" line with only a 3" access. sometimes I dont want the bend, so I take it off. I toss the leader and make a new one when/if the cable starts getting a flat worn spot.
          that works great with a drum cable as you can cut it anywhere and put on an end.

with a sectional, only the ends will accept the connectors.

they do sell a trap leader for the sectional. t-127 http://ridgetool.richfx.com/catalog_...y06/index.aspx

i do bend my straight auger as it will get into a small opening and then spring open into the larger line.

rick.
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-02-2008, 09:38 PM. Reason: link.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Yea bending the cable at the end is good i usally take a cable cut it in half and bend the tip so i can cleanout house traps. I don't know what brand of cable is being used but my cable company sells drop heads that you can use on the cable and then put the cutter head on it. I do any hard drains with this drop head and it works fine.
            YOUR #2 IS OUR #1 BUSINESS

Comment

I see alot of curb traps and cleanouts that are 8Ft. deep out here. I bend almost all my leaders to get back on traps and to hit the whole inside diameter of the pipe. In 13 yrs, never had a problem with it causing a break at that point.
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Working...
              X