So...I'm committing to a new buisness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So...I'm committing to a new buisness

Is anyone carrying a sectional machine? We've sold drums for sometime but never really sold many sectionals. People very rarely ever ask about them and we don't do too many repairs on them either. I guess I'm missing the advantages a sectional would have over a drum.
    Jay
    Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
    Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
      Is anyone carrying a sectional machine? We've sold drums for sometime but never really sold many sectionals. People very rarely ever ask about them and we don't do too many repairs on them either. I guess I'm missing the advantages a sectional would have over a drum.
      FWIW, i get a lot of my stuff from North State. sectionals are my personal preference.

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

we use and love or k400,k50s, k75s,and k1500s,great versatility and power,and that is a beautiful thing

Comment

On reading this thread it could only happen in the U.S. that Joe Bloggs off the street can start up a drain cleaning business, as you have to be a Licensed Plumber who has done a plumbing apprenticeship and have the experience to touch sewers where I live.

Regards
          Tony

Comment

WELL... It has been a while since the license VS no license debate.
            Who would like to go first?
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

NNNNOOOO!!!!!

Comment

cant we all just get along.

Comment

I say that you should have to have a license BTW I now have one city license and working on my masters for the other city and I`m just a sewer rat

<------Roto Rooter
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                    On reading this thread it could only happen in the U.S. that Joe Bloggs off the street can start up a drain cleaning business, as you have to be a Licensed Plumber who has done a plumbing apprenticeship and have the experience to touch sewers where I live.

Regards
                    Tony
                    Australians have indoor plumbing?
                    Drain cleaning for the most part is pretty elementary.
                    It's not like I've never done it before.
                    And yes ONLY IN AMERICA

Comment

if it`s so elementary I wonder why most people cant do it ? There's more to being a sewer guy then just sticking a cable down a C/O or at least if you work for me that is If you don't know plumbing or how to read a print you should step-a-way and leave it to a guy that knows what he`s doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                        WELL... It has been a while since the license VS no license debate.
                        Who would like to go first?
                        I'LL TAKE A CRACK AT THIS ONE.

I think the questions are, how much damage can you really do
                        cleaning a line?

And, are you doing installation that requires following code?

I can see where if a guy were to disturb some
                        old plumbing and opened up the proverbial can of worms,
                        and would have to do some major repairs. And even then
                        we're talking replacement of existing parts on drainage.
                        And if this case does occurr, because of cleaning,
                        it needed to be replaced anyway.
                        (wether you're a licensed plumber or not)
                        Supply lines on the hand are much more critical in the sense
                        that there should be some assurance that these lines
                        will seal, original install is up to code,
                        and the related components are properly installed.
                        (hot water heaters, dishwashers, environmental units, etc.)
                        As long as local, state and federal standards are followed,
                        I don't see where a person would need to be a journeyman.
                        As long as you're insured and O.K.'d to do buisness
                        it's up to you if you're going to sink or swim.
                        No matter what it is, if a guy does poor work on something
                        he'll weed himself out and the game will continue.
                        This is about as analytical as I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                          if it`s so elementary I wonder why most people cant do it ? There's more to being a sewer guy then just sticking a cable down a C/O or at least if you work for me that is If you don't know plumbing or how to read a print you should step-a-way and leave it to a guy that knows what he`s doing.
                          I'm not completely green.
                          I can read prints, do repairs, and analyze situations.
                          I just haven't done it for a while.
                          And if I were really an incompetent, I would step away.
                          I by no means have the arrogance to say I know more than
                          the most of you guys but I feel I know enough to start,
                          and if need be, respectfuly refer a customer to another service.
                          I'd rather let people think I'm an idiot than show 'em I'm an idiot.
                          My skills will only get better with time and perseverence.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
                            Point/Counterpoint. I've worked with licensed plumbers that weren't very good at plumbing. I've worked with unlicensed people that were great at plumbing but just could not pass the test. Are you qualified? I don't know. Every certified machinist I've known is pretty intelligent.
                            But I think people with licenses general complaint is that we are held to a higher degree of accountability than unlicensed people. I don't care if your insured, ethical, etc. Without the license the accountability is not as prevalent. So you SHOULD be required to obtain the qualifications that all others have for accountability, equal competition, safety etc. In my area we are encouraged to report any unlicensed person engaging in plumbing contracting. And almost ANYTHING can fall under this category. Yes, removing the toilet. Yes, installing a cleanout. On and on. Don't want to discourage you. As you've read on this forum, licensed plumbers can be some of the most helpful people you will encounter. So I encourage you to join us. Get your license.
                            I completely agree, but in due time.
                            I want to test the water.(no pun intended)
                            I know the integrity of the industry as a whole
                            needs to be taken into account also. I know one
                            bad serviceman can cast a shadow that goes
                            all the way to the horizon and ruins it for everyone.
                            (or at least causes a lot of skepticism to the public).
                            I would love to, some time down the road get the
                            bonified plumbers license.
                            Even if just for buisness crudentials.
                            For now I just want to keep it as simple as possible.
                            Hence "simplicity".
                            Maybe I'll find myself having to anyway.
                            I'm still at the berthing stage.
                            I still haven't checked all the codes, covenants and by-laws.
                            Last edited by simplicity; 03-06-2008, 07:52 PM.

Comment

The big key to making it in business is to be able to analyze situations and knowing how to fix em. With out a plumbing back ground you wont be offering a good service and may find yourself deep in $hit some day

Oh and "GET YOUR SHOTS"!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                                The big key to making it in business is to be able to analyze situations and knowing how to fix em. With out a plumbing back ground you wont be offering a good service and may find yourself deep in $hit some day

Oh and "GET YOUR SHOTS"!!!!!!
                                You can't tell me that at some point in time,
                                even the best of 'em got stuck with something
                                they couldn't figure out or had issues with.
                                It's just part of the job altogether.
                                My capacity for analisys is above the
                                common bar. I know for the most part
                                what's out there for parts to repair
                                and replace your average plumbing.
                                I learned the craft,(I don't want to call it a trade,
                                as drain cleaning is more of a talent than a science),
                                from my Dad, and a very successful small buisness owner.
                                I cleaned drains from the time I was 14 until I was 22.
                                There after I put myself through tech school
                                to be a machinist while working as a
                                line cook in area restaraunts.(Dad never offered a dime)
                                Now I'm sick of being a machinist.
                                (I'm actually really good at it)
                                The reason I quit drain cleaning was I hated my Dad.
                                (he was a career Roto-Rooter man R.I.P.)
                                I can't remember how many times his pager went off
                                in the middle of night and I could here it through my
                                bedroom door and without thought, get dressed
                                and make coffee to go help him handle his midnight emergecies.
                                He almost literally jammed cable down my throat.
                                (he was even on Roto-Rooter billboards in the Mpls. area)
                                As soon as I was old enough to drive, I quit school and
                                started working the industrial division doing pumping,
                                steaming, and jetting.(nepetism rules)
                                Roto-Rooter management was just waiting for this to happen.
                                They knew my Dad had me hooked into the job.
                                I went from honor roll student, to high school drop out, to the
                                TOP OF THE $HIT CHAIN OVERNIGHT!
                                (and bottom of my dignity)
                                Who wants to be 17 yrs. old and tell their friends
                                "I clean sewers"
                                I'm not stupid to the craft, I'm just a little rusty.
                                Last edited by simplicity; 03-07-2008, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X