Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So...I'm committing to a new buisness

Simplicity

Yes your right we in Australia live in tents and ride kangaroos but at least our governments know that civilizations are built on fresh drinking water and the safe disposal and treatment of sewerage waste and that one has to be qualified to be a plumber.
    You can argue all you wish and be the greatest sewer machine operator of all time but but you are not a licensed plumber and judging by your arguement you wish to take the short cut and laugh at the work all the qualified members of this forum have put in over the years to become licensed plumbers.

Well I have to run now as my kangaroo is waiting he says hi and the your name suits you.

Regards
    Tony

Comment

I can sense the love in this thread

Comment

I would consider myself to be one of the better drain guy`s as I have a long background in waste Maintenance such as I was installing sewers at the young age of 17. I carry an Apprentice Plumbing License for the city I live in and a Plumbing License for another city. I`m working on my master plumbing license for my city so I can better service my customers. I have been in plumbing for a long time and like what I`m doing. I to this day have never had a sewer I couldn`t clear or repair. I don't know what your getting at?

You quit because you said you hated your dad, hummmm
        Roto Rooter in this town is a big joke knocking access holes in sewers. I have replaced 4 sewers this year that had at least 6 holes in the top that were knocked in em for access. That there is the number one reason I say a sewer guy should have to be Licensed! There are many other reasons but that is one of the big problems I see daily. When people call you out they already think your a plumber, they will ask you to do other things and you will do em when you are hungry and want to pay a few bills.

Today's sewer cleaning involves more then just sticking a cable down a sewer. Yes there are still a few cable stickers left but they are being replaced with guy`s like myself that can analyze situations and repair. Now days if you don't have a camera and know what you are looking at you wont last long in the business.

So I must ask,
        why do you want to get back in to playing in peoples crap again? Is it the money that you think you can make or is it the long hours, no weekend off`s, or the calls at 3:00am.

You may think you are up to the task and ready to try and take business from the other cleaners but beware you have a lot to learn as plumbing changes every 10 years or so
        Good Luck and GET YOUR SHOTS!!!! We lost a sewer cleaner a few years a go
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          Oh yeah.. and keep your mouth closed.. Right Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
              I would consider myself to be one of the better drain guy`s as I have a long background in waste Maintenance such as I was installing sewers at the young age of 17. I carry an Apprentice Plumbing License for the city I live in and a Plumbing License for another city. I`m working on my master plumbing license for my city so I can better service my customers. I have been in plumbing for a long time and like what I`m doing. I to this day have never had a sewer I couldn`t clear or repair. I don't know what your getting at?

You quit because you said you hated your dad, hummmm
              Roto Rooter in this town is a big joke knocking access holes in sewers. I have replaced 4 sewers this year that had at least 6 holes in the top that were knocked in em for access. That there is the number one reason I say a sewer guy should have to be Licensed! There are many other reasons but that is one of the big problems I see daily. When people call you out they already think your a plumber, they will ask you to do other things and you will do em when you are hungry and want to pay a few bills.

Today's sewer cleaning involves more then just sticking a cable down a sewer. Yes there are still a few cable stickers left but they are being replaced with guy`s like myself that can analyze situations and repair. Now days if you don't have a camera and know what you are looking at you wont last long in the business.

So I must ask,
              why do you want to get back in to playing in peoples crap again? Is it the money that you think you can make or is it the long hours, no weekend off`s, or the calls at 3:00am.

You may think you are up to the task and ready to try and take business from the other cleaners but beware you have a lot to learn as plumbing changes every 10 years or so
              Good post. I am with ya.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                that's for jetting

not for the forum

and it was only a drop.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Simplicity,

I can appreciate that you believe this type of career is easy and that it does not take a brain surgeons degree (or whatever the saying is ). Let me tell you about the guy I met a week ago who felt the same way. I received a call on Saturday around noon , the gentlemen asked if I had sewer camera equipment. Of course, I said and asked what he needed.

He told me he was a general contractor that was trying to clear the main for one of his customers. In the process of snaking the line through the closet bend he broke it , yes the cast iron closet bend and the snake. After camering the line i could see he broke off about 4' of cable in the line. He did not even know he broke the cast iron.

The thing that pissed me off the most is he wanted me to retrieve the cable and forgo telling the home owner about the broken pipe. Well, needless to say I told the home owner the truth and gave her a price to repair it. I still have not received a call back from the home owner. At this point I believe it serves them both right .

The home owner was looking for a deal from a cheap Mexican contractor with illegal helpers. And the contractor was bidding the job way below market prices because he thought cleaning a drain was so easy. The contractor also installed a single dual directional C/O which is a big no no in my area.
                  When I left that day I over heard the contractor telling the home owner that he would have to jack hammer the footing in order to retrieve the broken cable. This simple job turned into a mess because the numb nut had no clue what he was doing.

If he would have had experience, he would have known never to snake the line through the closet bend with the snake he rented from Home Depot. He definitely would have stopped long before he broke the cable. I think if he knew what he was doing , he would have snake the line through the 4" roof vent. Especially with the machine he rented.

This simple job would have cost 285.00 if I had been called first. Now I am sure it is going to end up costing the home owner far more than they even knew. Anyhow , my hole point is do not portray yourself or the trade as if anyone can do it. In the long run your customers, friends and family will believe what you do is not important or valuable. They will not value you or your service in the future.

I am not saying to be arrogant, just firm in your desire to portray drain cleaners/plumbers in a good light. Sorry to give you an ear full. I am just getting sick of all the people who do not value what we do as professionals. I am not saying your intent was to be little or speak ill of the trade . It just kind of sounds that way.
                  Last edited by Crappy days; 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM.
                  THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

17 years ago I was a machinist.
                    I did it for 3 years.
                    Mainly CNC lathes (with Fanuc controls), I worked for a small shop that specialized in high tolerance military parts for guidance systems and was able to accelerate as fast as I could learn.
                    In that trade you learn to think in math, every movement is a mathematical location in X, Y or Z.
                    You have to be able to think of all three dimensions as well as other variables like temperature, alloy, cutting material type all at the same time to be good at the job.
                    I was so accustomed to thinking in math that I could go grocery shopping with my then girlfriend and add the bill in my head as we went.
                    I was usually within pennies when I hadn't added it right.
                    The overall job requires a sense of contrrol, determination and confidence in the predictable nature of the machinery & materials you work with.

I left and got into plumbing because I felt the pay really wasn't that great in machining comparative to the skill level.

When I started in plumbing I had the same bravado thinking as I did as a machinist.
                    It took about a month as an apprentice to decimate that thinking.

I was knocked down once I learned that plumbing had little or no predictability like machining did...all the math in the world couldn't tell me what to do when there's a broken galvy line inside a wall and all I can see is wetness on the ceiling below.

Comment

I love those stories crappy. They partly make me mad, but in that case I agree that the homeowner deserved what they got for hiring an unlicensed, unprofessional drain-cleaner.
                      I have been doing plumbing service and drain-cleaning for over 10 years now and I still run into problems that are very difficult for me to solve. Stopped up Drains especially are a big unknown when going into a job. Sometimes they're easy, sometimes they are a nightmare. The biggest sewer-cleaning job I ever did started out as a simple commercial cable job through the closet drain.....ended being a $14,000 job involving lots of camera-work, jetting and excavation....long story.
                      I came in after some other hack who tied to cable it, couldn't do it, gave them a bill and left. It turns out there were large amounts of cemented rock debris in the drain!!! Video-cameras and jetters are a must nowadays to be competitive and give your customers full-service.

Comment

I always tell my master plumber that nothing is hard or difficult, It`s that some things may take a little longer. He always looks up at me with a BIG SMILE

I thrive on the jobs that most people get pissed about. Gives me a sense of being of service to someone, not just a cable sticker or a pipe threader.

Service plumbing is a blast if you make it that way. I`m a big cut-up on the job and make the day go pretty fast. My helpers always like working with me. I told a lady today she might think about using a stool softener after she asked my why her WC was always plugging up....rotflmao
                        she bout fell over.
                        My customers seem to love my joking with em
                        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 03-08-2008, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          The biggest sewer-cleaning job I ever did started out as a simple commercial cable job through the closet drain.....ended being a $14,000 job involving lots of camera-work, jetting and excavation....long story.
                          I got time to read. Don't keep us in suspense.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Large industrial building with office space and stone-cutting factory. the small office called with the problem, another guy had already tried cabling it through the closet and gave up. I tried to cable it multiple times but it kept backing up. black & white camera showed unknown debris that we were just stirring around. Finally quit late at night and came back next day. The line ran under a slab several hundred feet along the length of the building. Camera and locators showed the problem was in the next office space. We went in there and it was a granite cutting shop that had made their own illegal drains that deposited the water-slurry from stone-cutting directly into the sanitary system. Color-video from multiple floor cleanouts showed colored stone-deposits all throughout the main building drain. Cabling and jetting only moved them around, but the debris wouldn't flow.
                            We finally came up with a solution. We did a difficult line-location outside the building and finally found the outside drain, excavated to it and cut open the drain. We did multiple passes upstream with a 4000psi USjetter and we used a back-flusher nozzle and slowly pulled it back dragging the stone debris out into a bucket. After several passes, we filled a 5 gallon bucket with stone debris as 'evidence'. We then repaired the drain with two cleanout tees in each direction and back-filled. The job took several days of trouble-shooting, camera work, locating and excavation, repair, etc.
                            I don't remember what the final bill was honesty, but it was thousands. We warned we would not guarantee the work until the stone-cutting company installed proper code-required sedimentary traps and stopped sending their slurry directly into teh building drain.
                            The owner of the building took a long time to pay becasue he was trying to get the stone-factory to pay half and they refused!!! We should have reported that place to the local inspection department. I think we finally got paid in full, I worked for a Mr. rooter company at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
                              In my mind you need 3 rigs to do a quick professional job.
                              A bathroom rig, a sink and floor drain rig, and of course
                              a main line rig. I've done this for a living before and I'm
                              curious about why some guys are so worried about having a
                              machine that does "everything".
                              (I've seen posts on the site that suggest this)
                              In my mind, to save the hassle of cable swapping and
                              poor machine perfomance, just buy the three machines
                              and save yourself the time and frustration in the name of saving a buck
                              on an extra machine. In order to run a buisness you'll need
                              at least the two. Why not buy the third and be complete?
                              I can't see loading a mid range machine with 1/2" cable to run a main,
                              or swapping cable down for a bathroom washbowl or tub.
                              To me it's time consuming and un-professional.
                              Tell me if need to be corrected on this line of thinking.
                              Hi there
                              my story goes like this....we sold our house 4 years ago to start up on my own.I had a jetter built,bought camera unit, 100 x 3ft. rods,and a K39 (5/16 &3/8"),and a K60 with 5/8 & 7/8" cables. The jetter stays at home for 90% of my jobs(which I tow with a thirsty L200 double cab pick-up) and most jobs are now done in a 3yr. old 1248cc. Combo panelvan(small) as the price of fuel here in Cornwall-UK topping £1.20 PER LITRE.Anyway both rigid machines and 70 rods in the small van are super-cheap to run and theres very few that I cannot clear with this fuel saving unit.One more thing before I go,all I have to do when I want to swap from 5/8 to 7/8" cables,is turn the adaptor on the front of the machine or vice-versa its very handy.My K-39 ,fitted with 5/16" cable came with interchangable drum of heavier 3/8"(so-called free) which I hav'nt used in 4 1/2yrs. since bought
                              regards Gary (Cornwall UK)

Comment

Re: So...I'm committing to a new business

Just thought I add my 2 cents.... Just like any start-up service business you must set yourself apart from the others, be the shiny nickel among a bunch of dull pennies. Granted Drain Cleaning is not rocket science..... You can get yourself in deep sh*t fast if your not careful... but more importantly it's about the customer satisfaction!!!!! Your customers are the ones that are going to make you or break you.

I started out in drain cleaning in the early 80's working for my Uncle after being laid off as a computer tech (anyone out there ever heard of the 8080 microprocessor) and have made many mistakes along the way, but on the same token have learned from those mistakes..... no business is built over night..... it takes years of sacrifice and dedication... but if you stick to it.... it will pay off... I encourage you and others to take the plunge... Somebody's got to give the Roto-Rooters, Mr Rooters a good run for the money.

Best of luck to you,

Scott
                                Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

Working...
                                X