• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring employees........Bad Idea?

Hiring employees for a small drain service
    I was told is a bad idea.
    As they will lack in their capacity to good
    thorough work and wont represent your service
    as professionally as they really should.

If you dont hire, how do you grow,
    get time off, and basically get everything done?

Re: Hiring employees........Bad Idea?

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
    Hiring employees for a small drain service
    I was told is a bad idea.
    As they will lack in their capacity to good
    thorough work and wont represent your service
    as professionally as they really should.

If you dont hire, how do you grow,
    get time off, and basically get everything done?

Whoever told you that, obviously does not know what they are talking about, or has not found the right people. I was hired by a small drain company 7yrs ago. In that time, they bought 6 new trucks, went into 2 bigger offices, hired more guys. Sure not everyone is going to be a company person and just want to work their 40hrs and go home. But i can tell you from experience. Their are guys out there who work for these small drain service that give blood, sweet and tears for these guys.

Now lets talk about the big drain services who give commision, and are franchises. They go thru more employees, law suits than small drain services.

Im sure you being a machinist, your company goes thru their share of employees too. Its not just the drain cos its every company
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Re: Hiring employees........Bad Idea?

simplicity, welcome to the forum

if i read correctly you and your brother are doing this startup together. you pretty well answered your own question about time off. just swap days off and realize as a small business owner you may have to work when others don't/won't/can't. as far as growing, your business should do that by itself....if you provide a quality service.

i am a one man band here and a lot of times i would love a second hand, but i just can't justify it at this time. weekends, holidays, etc are just another day at the office for me.

i'm looking into adding restaurant grease trap cleaning and maintaining. 1 individual that has a client list he/she services on a regular basis. and my possible 2nd hand when needed.

i'll be adding a camera this year and already have clients looking for it to be a reality. just need the $$$. it will come.

some here have said, "be careful!! you can get over your head!! yada yada" my responce is, yes be careful. this can be a very hazardous business to be in. you can get hurt, sick, & die. if you have a better than basic understanding of plumbing, are willing to learn, respect your equipmrnt, pay attention to the task at hand, don't get careless, yada yada you stand a pretty good chance of doing good and not getting hurt. it's all part of the learning curve.

read and reread posts on drain cleaning, and the plumbing issues that may pertain to your business. ask intelligent questions. add your insite(s) and keep an open mind. this is a great place to learn. i know, because almost 2 years ago i opened a drain cleaning business and found this place. i've had some great mentors and some loosers. i have tried to learn from both.

wear your thick skin, if necessary, and enjoy the ride.

again welcome to the forum and good luck on your new venture.

steve
      Last edited by stxrus; 03-05-2008, 10:16 AM. Reason: my fine typing skills
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
      X