X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinked a sectional cable

This happened on the baby wipe job last week I posted about and forgot to mention this.

I had the k60 on the ground and the cleanout was about 3' up the wall. I had both hands controlling the cable and my foot was controlling the clutch. Trying to force through a hard stoppage and the cable jumps out of my hands and twisted itself about 5 wraps. It happened so fast, I couldn't react in time. The joint was right there so I stuck the pin in and hit the joint with a pipe wrench. The cable spun back but had a bend in it. I bent the cable straight over my knee and you can't even tell the cable was twisted. This stuff is indistructable.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Kinked a sectional cable

If you were using a K-7500 you could have used a cut-off 2" pvc pipe and never had that problem while you were running the foot switch with your foot and using the lever to feed cable all while setting on a 5 gal bucket
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Not the point. A drum cable would've been destroyed. I really thought that cable was done. Not so much.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

if it bent it`s destroyed! at least in my books it is. I wont use a bent cable as it`s just asking for trouble as it will brake. Just because you were able to bend it back doesn't mean it`s still good Spring steal doesn't like to be bent

Comment

How is this any different than bending the cable behind the head to improve the whipping action of the cutter head? I had the same thoughts you did and that's why I posted that thread on bent cable.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the cutter head wont have the twist that a middle section of a cable will have. You will get more twist in the middle of a cable then at the end

My 3/4 IC is stiff 1` from the cutter and all snaked and floppy to hell after that, like a wet noodle
            Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 03-05-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

A drum's cable won't coil spring into a drain like a sectional. This means you was trying to push through the clog and the reverse motion was the open coils exerting pressure back at you.

I mentioned this once before that when you have a hard obstruction with a sectional, the first thing that cable will do is wind up, stop, then reverse back if you have a hold of something solid. Many times it seemed that I was using the machine against its own will. You either baby it or use like it was designed for heavy use.

A drum machine will tell you from the way the motor is winding that you hit an obstruction and if you hear it starting to bind down, you either approach slowly and let it grind through or you take a chance of going to far, passing through the obstruction and possibly pulling back something large that won't make a turn of direction.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                A drum's cable won't coil spring into a drain like a sectional. This means you was trying to push through the clog and the reverse motion was the open coils exerting pressure back at you.

I mentioned this once before that when you have a hard obstruction with a sectional, the first thing that cable will do is wind up, stop, then reverse back if you have a hold of something solid. Many times it seemed that I was using the machine against its own will. You either baby it or use like it was designed for heavy use.

A drum machine will tell you from the way the motor is winding that you hit an obstruction and if you hear it starting to bind down, you either approach slowly and let it grind through or you take a chance of going to far, passing through the obstruction and possibly pulling back something large that won't make a turn of direction.
                Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Not the point. A drum cable would've been destroyed. I really thought that cable was done. Not so much.
                  not to mention the drum would have kept spinning for a few more revolutions.

a drum can be scary when only a little cable is out. there is no spring to absorb the built up torque. as more cable is sent into the drain, there is more time to react to the torque.

with the sectional. the instant the clutch handle is released, the cable stops turning.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick you must have misread his post, he said "the cable jumps out of my hands and twisted itself about 5 wraps. It happened so fast, I couldn't react in time."

The cable spun back but had a bend in it

Ok so in your words that you yourself have posted many times " a sectional machine wont spin back on you"

the instant the clutch handle is released, the cable stops turning. hummmmm rick stop on brick walls.
                    Signed
                    The Drum Master

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      Rick you must have misread his post, he said "the cable jumps out of my hands and twisted itself about 5 wraps. It happened so fast, I couldn't react in time."

The cable spun back but had a bend in it

Ok so in your words that you yourself have posted many times " a sectional machine wont spin back on you"

the instant the clutch handle is released, the cable stops turning. hummmmm rick stop on brick walls.
                      Signed
                      The Drum Master
                      please post where i stated those words.

any cable can and will torque up. there have been hundreds of times that my 7500 will go in reverse at 3 times the speed due to cable torque.

my sectional will also torque up as it too is a spring.

but i stand by my words that when you release the handle on the sectional, the machine stops turning the cable.

sure if you have a lot of built up torque, then the machine is not turning the cable, the built up torque is just releasing itself. of course all of this is preventable.

now tell me how fast your drum stops when you let off the foot pedal?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

with the sectional. the instant the clutch handle is released, the cable stops turning.

rick.

It stops real fast if it`s binding. I dont run it to the point of back spin as it has enough power to cut most anything up if you dont force the cable in like my helper did

If I was using a K-60 and built up the torque I get with my K-7500 that little K-60 would start flipping around on the floor

Hey Rick I just gotta ask

Why is a master plumber still doing drain work anyway? When I get my city card for the city I live in( already have a few but my city wants me to get my masters) I wont be playing sewer rat every day. I`ll let my helper do that job
                        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 03-06-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          This happened on the baby wipe job last week I posted about and forgot to mention this.

I had the k60 on the ground and the cleanout was about 3' up the wall. I had both hands controlling the cable and my foot was controlling the clutch. Trying to force through a hard stoppage and the cable jumps out of my hands and twisted itself about 5 wraps. It happened so fast, I couldn't react in time. When I think I might go through some serious stoppeages, I don't wrap my thumb around the cable. I leave it on top so the cable can jump out of my hands instead of wrapping around and breaking my thumb. The joint was right there so I stuck the pin in and hit the joint with a pipe wrench. The cable spun back but had a bend in it. I should have clarified; the cable untwisted itself when the tension was released I bent the cable straight over my knee and you can't even tell the cable was twisted. This stuff is indistructable.
                          This was my mistake though, I had about 5 ft of cable out the CO. I think I would have used a pvc pipe to reduce the amount of cable out next time. Once again, this post was to show that a sectional cable isn't as fragile as we think.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post

Hey Rick I just gotta ask

Why is a master plumber still doing drain work anyway? When I get my city card for the city I live in( already have a few but my city wants me to get my masters) I wont be playing sewer rat every day. I`ll let my helper do that job
                            same thing i ask myself too

actually i would say that 1/2 of my work is drains and sewers.
                            the other 1/2 is still plumbing, service and repair.

i actually enjoy drain cleaning and problem solving. i don't mind getting dirty.

just like you, i get it done and don't screw around. i'm using my plumbing knowledge to properly diagnose the problem and come up with a solution.
                            i document my findings and at any time i can research any job in the last 8 years with my laptop. this is very helpful especially in camera and drains.

nothing wrong with drain cleaning.
                            it can be very rewarding. just ask greg

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X