Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Flat Sewer Tape Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Flat Sewer Tape

    I was bored so I started looking at Ridgid online catalog and seen the Flat sewer tape with spear point. The Question is: Has anyone used one of these before and if so what is the practical use for one of these? I have one that I got when a local supply house moved location and they threw it in the trash pile, but haven't quit figured out what to use it on.
    ________
    Peruvian Cooking
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM.
    Mike

  • #2
    Re: Flat Sewer Tape

    it`s to make the trash pile have some weight to it
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Flat Sewer Tape

      They are practically useless, they can only be used on a completely straight run and all they do is push the blockage.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Flat Sewer Tape

        Yeah, worthless. you might be able to use it to pull something back....
        sigpic

        Robert

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Flat Sewer Tape

          Kind of figured that they were useless, must be a homeowner item.
          ________
          Toyota Motor Manufacturing De Baja California Specifications
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM.
          Mike

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Flat Sewer Tape

            down here we call them man killers and believe it or not {i personally cant] some old timers and a few municipalities still use them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Flat Sewer Tape

              Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
              I was bored so I started looking at Ridgid online catalog and seen the Flat sewer tape with spear point. The Question is: Has anyone used one of these before and if so what is the practical use for one of these? I have one that I got when a local supply house moved location and they threw it in the trash pile, but haven't quit figured out what to use it on.
              Sewer tapes usually have one end that's a spear head and the other end is a rollerball. The rollerball is to go around bends easily. Think of it as an electrician's fish-tape for running wire.

              We used to use them to get an accurate measurement of underground pipe (before locating became commonplace.)

              When locators first came about, all we had were clip-on signal generators to get a locating signal. We used the tape to trace the pathway of a pipe as if is was a wire. A tape is a much better conductor for line tracing than a sewer cable. Now, with locatable cameras it's easier.

              Trenchless guys use sewer tapes to thread their winch cables trough the old sewer for pipe bursting.
              Pete
              Drain Biz
              Articles, Videos, Industry News

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Flat Sewer Tape

                How far out could you push one?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Flat Sewer Tape

                  I've used them. They predated today's cables. That's why the old guys used to use a wye at the 4" cleanout in the basement. They would aim the wye in the same direction as the main so they wouldn't have to twist around the bends.

                  One end usually had a roller, as mentioned to go around bends easier. The other end had a spear with a catch that could (sometimes) bring back things, or disrupt a clog. They aren't much for roots, but will knock loose a plug.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Flat Sewer Tape

                    basically it's an overgrown electricians fish tape. just thicker and wider. the real danger is when they want to explode out of their winder cage.

                    i use fiberglass pushrods for long sewer locations and to pull my trenchless cable, then chain.

                    the fiberglass rods will flex any direction wheras the flat tape will only flex 2 directions. either up and down or left and right.

                    rick.
                    phoebe it is

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Flat Sewer Tape

                      I think they only make them for the rental industry now. I see them in customers basements all the time.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Flat Sewer Tape

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        i use fiberglass pushrods for long sewer locations and to pull my trenchless cable, then chain.



                        rick.
                        What???? You dont use the K-60
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Flat Sewer Tape

                          We sell em overseas mostly. I forget which country they are used in quite a bit but I think thats the main reason we manufacture em.

                          Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                          I was bored so I started looking at Ridgid online catalog and seen the Flat sewer tape with spear point. The Question is: Has anyone used one of these before and if so what is the practical use for one of these? I have one that I got when a local supply house moved location and they threw it in the trash pile, but haven't quit figured out what to use it on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Flat Sewer Tape

                            i grew up using those cables since i was 12 years old!!! (-;........unstopped probally hundreds of drains with them working with my father growing up. i cant believe how many lines with roots,grease,whatever it was WE OPENDED THE LINE WITH THEM!!..i still keep them in my garage for memories. The city of Dallas will use them on mainlines for residentials if its six feet from the city side..now they do have U.S.truck mounted jetters also for the big-stuff!!!Drain cleaning mACHINES HAVE COME A LONG WAY!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Flat Sewer Tape

                              Originally posted by Pete M View Post
                              Sewer tapes usually have one end that's a spear head and the other end is a rollerball. The rollerball is to go around bends easily. Think of it as an electrician's fish-tape for running wire.

                              We used to use them to get an accurate measurement of underground pipe (before locating became commonplace.)

                              When locators first came about, all we had were clip-on signal generators to get a locating signal. We used the tape to trace the pathway of a pipe as if is was a wire. A tape is a much better conductor for line tracing than a sewer cable. Now, with locatable cameras it's easier.

                              Trenchless guys use sewer tapes to thread their winch cables trough the old sewer for pipe bursting.
                              Thats what I used it for transmitting a signal on and picking it up with a receiver (pre video inspection days) was back then much faster than running a cable down the line, have also used it to unthaw frozen Mains by tapping a garden hose with fine nozzle to a hot water source, now I use a jetter W/ hot box. much faster.

                              Great article on post card flyers with a historical theme. i think I'll try it.
                              Never give up on your dreams..

                              dreams are what make us forge ahead.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X