Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you have done ?

what would you have done ?
    back ground story, in October I had a service call from a young guy around 20-22 years old. I showed up on site and found that the clog was under his basement floor, not the main from the house to the street. After fighting with the clog for around 2 hours and getting nowhere I had suggested the customer to have a video inspection done the see what the problem was.
    After doing the inspection I had found that the pipe"cast" was cracked and shifted. at this point I was able to watch my cable "drum machine" and feed it thru the offset pipe and temporarily open the line until he could save money to have it fixed.
    In early February he had called me again to run the line again. I had told him I would prefer not to because the line was not usable and he need to have it fixed. After his pleading his case I decide to run the line again. and guess what happed? After the first crack and offset my snake jumper out of the pipe! Sure S*#@ I fought with the snake for 3 hours. and could not get it out. I tried a HighLift and still not luck. the snake would turn in forward and reverse and move about 12" each way.
    I will finish the story after I have a few comments.

sorry for the grammar and spelling.
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Re: what would you have done ?

the owner was aware of the issue with the pipe.

i would hope that you will get paid for your attempt and also for the repair.

you're not obligated to fix the line. he can get a bid from others to fix it.

if he wants to save money, let him break and dig the line out. he's 21-22 and i would think he's not financially ahead of the game.

offer him the opportunity to assist you in prepping the job and patching the floor.

the piping repair is easy. the demo and digging is time consuming.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I agree. If at any point during a snaking I suspect a break or a chance I could get stuck, I stop and let my customer know the situation and risk involved. I also let them know I'm am more then willing to continue but If I do get stuck I will not be responsible for repairs etc..And I have no problem leaving my snake in their line until they can get a contractor(another advantage of a sectional). So far every customer has agreed to this as at that point their line is useless anyway so it's worth the risk.
      I say hand him a shovel and tell him he can save some $$$ if he digs it.

Whats a "highlift" anyway ?
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

well after waiting for the home owner to have a plumber come out and give him a quote for repair the pipe. $300.00 if he busted up the floor and re concreted. the owner opted to have the line run from the stack in the back of the basement to the front floor clean out. " running the 4" PVC along the inside of the basement wall and drop it into the 3 1/2 clean out for $300.00 instead, and have me cut the snake of and pay for my time while I was their and the cost of a new 50' and connectors and labor.
        so I ended up charging him $385.00 witch I thought was a deal on my part considering I was there a day and a half.

our did I over charge him?
        Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
        1-920-284-7471

Comment

I don't think you over charged him.

Whats the "high lift" you mentioned
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

a glorified bumper jack on steroids
            a mans best friend for pulling or pushing

http://www.gerbers4wd.co.za/Accessor...hLift_Jack.jpg

Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
            1-920-284-7471

Comment

Heck no you didn't over charge him. Do what you know is right next time, don't let the customer influence your desicion on how to do the job right, they just see the end result and not the process to get there.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Heck no you didn't over charge him. Do what you know is right next time, don't let the customer influence your desicion on how to do the job right, they just see the end result and not the process to get there.
                well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Amen!!!!! , Gear Junkie, ... Great advice.
                  Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

I totally agree with Rick and Ben....

The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

well put
                      how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                      X