X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warranty guy

a few weeks ago i received a call from a warranty manager from a large new construction company in our area. he was reffered to me by one of my best customers. the warranty guy was looking for someone to do drain cleanings for him on there houses. there new construction plumber does not do drain cleaning. i have received 3 jobs from them in three weeks. (i have not been paid on any that ive billed them yet). my problem is, last week i pulled a w.c. and snaked through the closet bend, the wood floor was damaged from the plug so the warranty guy said he would have his flooring guy fix the floor and he would give me plenty of notice to come reset the toilet. so he calls me today at ten and he informed me that he told the homeowner that i would be there at 4 to reset the toilet. without running it by me. my point is that he doesnt ask he tells me when and where and than questions everything i do. every job ive done for them ive been there within two hours. should i stick him out or am i becoming his whipping boy?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: warranty guy

It sounds like you need to tell him how you feel about him scheduling appointments without your consent.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I guess the question is? when will you get paid if at all? are you making enough money to eat a little crow?
      most places I have to bill either pay in 14 day of 30 day intervals.
      just my 2cetns
      I do tend to go a little farther for my bigger customers
      because it is guaranteed money in the bank.
      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
      1-920-284-7471

Comment

i think they will pay, there one of the bigger builders around here, he just kinda rubs me the wrong way. the extra few hundred bucks a week would be nice though
        Mike

Comment

I guess it really depends on how important the work is to you. What I do when people just assume I can get a plumber out there is give them a response like "I will do my best but I have to move some other stuff around to do it". I say that even if I have a plumber available so they know when I am not included in the decision I may not be able to make it.

Another thing to keep in mind is we had a similar issue with a property management company when we first started out in 1980. Now 28-years later they are still the shops largest service account.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It's easter tell him you are bust with your family.

And inform him you are a bust guy next time he needs to check with you before any scheduling

Comment

I guess it really depends on how important the work is to you. What I do when people just assume I can get a plumber out there is give them a response like "I will do my best but I have to move some other stuff around to do it". I say that even if I have a plumber available so they know when I am not included in the decision I may not be able to make it.

Another thing to keep in mind is we had a similar issue with a property management company when we first started out in 1980. Now 28-years later they are still the shops largest service account.

Mark

thats a good way to approach it. i dont want to turn down there work. the company that reffered us to him is a large property management company and our biggest customer.
              Mike

Comment

Give him time to learn to trust and respect your opinion. A month or so should be enough time. You're in a business relationship and both parties need to understand what they expect from each other. He may not see where the issue is unless you tell him and vice versa. Have the talk on a Friday or another non stressful day.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It's not all black and white.
                  I'd tell the guy that if he wants you to reschedule other jobs around him, it will cost extra.
                  In fact, that job right there should be categorized as emergency service...the occupant needs a toilet and there really isn't much choice, unless they have another bath.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                    a few weeks ago i received a call from a warranty manager from a large new construction company in our area. he was reffered to me by one of my best customers. the warranty guy was looking for someone to do drain cleanings for him on there houses. there new construction plumber does not do drain cleaning. i have received 3 jobs from them in three weeks. (i have not been paid on any that ive billed them yet). my problem is, last week i pulled a w.c. and snaked through the closet bend, the wood floor was damaged from the plug so the warranty guy said he would have his flooring guy fix the floor and he would give me plenty of notice to come reset the toilet. so he calls me today at ten and he informed me that he told the homeowner that i would be there at 4 to reset the toilet. without running it by me. my point is that he doesnt ask he tells me when and where and than questions everything i do. every job ive done for them ive been there within two hours. should i stick him out or am i becoming his whipping boy?
                    Builders are a demanding bunch and the slowest payers, They are always rush rush get the job done but when time comes to pay they will have 101 excuses on why you have to wait 30 to 45 days to get you money. Either they are waiting for a draw from the bank or have to wait till this house closes and so on. You should just expect not to receive payment within 30 days or you can set up your own terms with him before you do the job!!
                    ________
                    Daihatsu fellow max
                    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM.
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      It's not all black and white.
                      I'd tell the guy that if he wants you to reschedule other jobs around him, it will cost extra.
                      In fact, that job right there should be categorized as emergency service...the occupant needs a toilet and there really isn't much choice, unless they have another bath.

Perfect Mark, couldnt have said it better myself
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Working...
                      X