Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

Hvac...... good guess.

I now it's Easter Sunday tomorrow and we all have to hide the eggs for the kids so I'll give you my last hint.

Think of the drum trap as a beer can, you got 1 line going into the vertical bottom of the can and one line going out the top, your pull tab to open the beer is the cleanout..... now cut the can in half where it can be soldered together. the only difference between the two halves is the cleanout.

I need to open the beer...... so what do I need to know when I'm looking at the beer w/ my Mini
    Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
      I need to open the beer...... so what do I need to know when I'm looking at the beer w/ my Mini
      Why would you want to open a beer that is inside a can?

Are you looking for the cleanout under a loose tile?

Why am I participating in this menagerie?

Comment

i say never mix beer and sewer lines ,it just does not go together
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Drum traps should be removed and replaced with a p-trap. Period.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Why am I participating in this menagerie?
            That's exactly what I was thinking.

Here's a better one for you.

What color am I thinking of?

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Well if I am following this right, First I would block the sink and the tub overflow and use my water ram to try and make it drain, if that didn't work and following your posts using my seesnake micro I would just want to see the down line pipe to cut the trap out so I know where I have to cut the least. Direction of the floor joists.
                Last edited by Cuda; 03-22-2008, 06:55 PM.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Had a service call last week, water backing up in tub.... 2nd floor bathroom,.. when you run the bath sink, water backing up in tub...

both bath sink and tub are connected to a drum trap w/ no access to it,.. tried everything to clear it.... no success.... have my Micro with me and there's an access panel behind the tub where I can use the Micro........

Other than the locating the drum trap what am I really looking for...

Hints. it's not a stinking root.

If i could understand your lingo, i might be able to comment ?

Comment

My 1st instinct after seeing the drum trap would be to see if the existing line is lead or copper. If its lead, its getting replaced.

My 2nd guess would be to see if i could see if it tied into the back of the toilet sweep.
                    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Maybe he thinks that it was installed upside down so he needs to see if he should cut the ceiling open or cut open the floor to get to the cap?? I give up
                      ________
                      BONG REVIEW
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

Everyone has good answers. But everyone also diagnose things differently. Personally i wouldnt touch the line with a cable if it was lead. Drum traps are no problem. But if that cable gets caught up in one of those lead bends and goes thru the wipe joint, and the line is full, your in trouble
                        Last edited by Drain Medic; 03-22-2008, 07:27 PM.
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Very simple answer to Quiz... read the tread... and the replies.... this was a call I got from a from a customer that was sticker shocked from other Drain Cleaning Co.s

D.M. I agree if it's lead replace, not lead, Brass W/ cleanout but in order for me to clear... I must gain access to snake . I had two tools to do it with,.. 4" hole saw, or a adjustable cutter (don't know what it is called) but it only cuts sheetrock/ plaster.... adjusted it to 4"

Comment

Very simple answer to Quiz... read the tread... and the replies.... this was a call I got from a from a customer that was sticker shocked from other Drain Cleaning Co.s

D.M. I agree if it's lead replace, not lead, Brass W/ cleanout but in order for me to clear... I must gain access to snake . I had two tools to do it with,.. 4" hole saw, or a adjustable cutter (don't know what it is called) but it only cuts sheetrock/ plaster.... adjusted it to 4"

Well to gain access if i couldnt get the lid off, i would use a drill, drill a hole after the drum trap, snake the line from there and install a boiler plug on the line for future access.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                              Maybe he thinks that it was installed upside down so he needs to see if he should cut the ceiling open or cut open the floor to get to the cap?? I give up

You got it.... I had to find out where to open up... floor..... ceiling downstairs. that's what I was really looking for... had to get access to cleanout.... Now it's time for the rest of you for #4... I'll try to answer

Scott

Comment

You got it.... I had to find out where to open up... floor..... ceiling downstairs. that's what I was really looking for... had to get access to cleanout.... Now it's time for the rest of you for #4... I'll try to answer

Scott
                                Sounds like alot of overkill to me....IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X