Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Diagnosis quiz part 3 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

    Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
    Sounds like alot of overkill to me....IMO

    Overkill? No. It gets you to think, Plumbing related,.. YES. start a new thread # 4 D.M. ... but give us lots of hints. I"ll give it a shot.



    Very truly yours,

    Scott
    Never give up on your dreams..

    dreams are what make us forge ahead.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

      Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
      your hint is all the fixture's are white
      WTH does this hint have to do with anything?

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

        Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
        Overkill? No. It gets you to think, Plumbing related,.. YES. start a new thread # 4 D.M. ... but give us lots of hints. I"ll give it a shot.



        Very truly yours,

        Scott
        Naw, the calls i get are no brainers. Havent had a thinker in along time. What i meant about overkill was, if you can see the drum trap in the access panel, see where the line is running after the trap, your getting a rough idea if its either tying into the toilet, or running straight to a stack. I understand your point to cut the ceiling, to look underneath the plumbing.

        So since we are getting into it now...my questions to you.

        #1 After looking into the access panel, and you pretty much making up your mind to cut the ceiling below, how did the customer respond to that?

        #2 Do you charge for cutting access to gain info for diagnosing?

        #3 Do you have a diagnosis fee or a service call fee if after you told the customer that you have to cut the ceiling below, they reject the price, and you dont walk away with anything?

        #4 Are you a flat rate or a T&M

        Not busting chops at all, just curious how its done in other places. I wasnt there and didnt see it, so i cant really get a clear picture of what your talking about, nor could i give you my exact diagnosis without looking at it.

        Greg
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

        www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

          Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
          Naw, the calls i get are no brainers. Havent had a thinker in along time. What i meant about overkill was, if you can see the drum trap in the access panel, see where the line is running after the trap, your getting a rough idea if its either tying into the toilet, or running straight to a stack. I understand your point to cut the ceiling, to look underneath the plumbing.

          So since we are getting into it now...my questions to you.

          #1 After looking into the access panel, and you pretty much making up your mind to cut the ceiling below, how did the customer respond to that?

          #2 Do you charge for cutting access to gain info for diagnosing?

          #3 Do you have a diagnosis fee or a service call fee if after you told the customer that you have to cut the ceiling below, they reject the price, and you dont walk away with anything?

          #4 Are you a flat rate or a T&M

          Not busting chops at all, just curious how its done in other places. I wasnt there and didnt see it, so i cant really get a clear picture of what your talking about, nor could i give you my exact diagnosis without looking at it.

          Greg

          #1 , No.. I thought the clean-out to gain access was facing the floor, my reasoning for that thought was the bathroom was remodeled 10 years prior and thought they covered the access.

          #2, Of course it was factored into the price.

          #3, Asked a lot of questions over the phone,.... got good answers .... just had a hunch I would be able to do the job.... if not... I would of walked / not charging but give give my opinion of what to do.... free...

          #4, Flat rate... but not on this call.... a little more involved..


          # 5, quoted price to do work,... after knowing what it entailed, very satisfied customer... New customer.. mostly for me repeat. take on a job like that for a fair price .... I'll get many more new.
          Never give up on your dreams..

          dreams are what make us forge ahead.

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

            Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
            #1 , No.. I thought the clean-out to gain access was facing the floor, my reasoning for that thought was the bathroom was remodeled 10 years prior and thought they covered the access.

            #2, Of course it was factored into the price.

            #3, Asked a lot of questions over the phone,.... got good answers .... just had a hunch I would be able to do the job.... if not... I would of walked / not charging but give give my opinion of what to do.... free...

            #4, Flat rate... but not on this call.... a little more involved..


            # 5, quoted price to do work,... after knowing what it entailed, very satisfied customer... New customer.. mostly for me repeat. take on a job like that for a fair price .... I'll get many more new.

            Awesome, new customers that are satisified customers are great

            Good job, thanks for the honest answers...thats why i love this site
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

            www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

              Originally posted by JCsPlumbing
              Learned more from the tree guy.
              Stop being so pissy. I thought this interesting if nothing more than a reminder to expect the unexpected. Big question is did you change out the drum trap? And bigger question is-JCS-when are you posting question #4?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                I hate to come off as pompous, but it occured to me that you might be trying to locate the c/o side of the drum trap, but that seemed too simple.

                Also, if the bath were remodeled just ten years ago and the "plumber" left a drum trap there, that one's on him.
                BTW, I'm in MA also, what part are you?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                  Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Stop being so pissy. I thought this interesting if nothing more than a reminder to expect the unexpected. Big question is did you change out the drum trap? And bigger question is-JCS-when are you posting question #4?
                  G.J. didn't change out the trap, Just had to find if the clean-out was facing up or down.... the most time consuming part of the job was where to cut out hole in ceiling below ( lots of measurements from above) ran my k39 thru the outlet of trap,.. pulled out a big glob of hair. and left the drywall cut out circle to a very happy customer.

                  Scott
                  Never give up on your dreams..

                  dreams are what make us forge ahead.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                    Maybe it's just me but a 16" X 16" hole in the drywall takes the same effort as a 4" round hole to patch. However, with the 16" X 16" hole you could change out the drum trap and no one would ever have to open the ceiling again.

                    Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                      Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
                      G.J. didn't change out the trap, Just had to find if the clean-out was facing up or down.... the most time consuming part of the job was where to cut out hole in ceiling below ( lots of measurements from above) ran my k39 thru the outlet of trap,.. pulled out a big glob of hair. and left the drywall cut out circle to a very happy customer.

                      Scott

                      Ok here is where im confused now. By the way

                      lol


                      We are talking about a drum trap right? Are you looking to see if the lid to the drum trap is on the top or bottom, or is there a cleanout after the trap?
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

                      www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                        Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                        Ok here is where im confused now. By the way

                        lol


                        We are talking about a drum trap right? Are you looking to see if the lid to the drum trap is on the top or bottom, or is there a cleanout after the trap?


                        Access cover, Drum traps only have 1.... and I've seen them installed both ways,,, up and down ....doesn't affect there intended for....

                        Can't help you on the pics.... job already completed last week.... plus I have way too many bells and whistles that I'm trying to figure out on this stinking camera.
                        Never give up on your dreams..

                        dreams are what make us forge ahead.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                          Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Maybe it's just me but a 16" X 16" hole in the drywall takes the same effort as a 4" round hole to patch. However, with the 16" X 16" hole you could change out the drum trap and no one would ever have to open the ceiling again.

                          Mark
                          Absolutely 100% agreed on that.
                          The problem will recur.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                            Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            Absolutely 100% agreed on that.
                            The problem will recur.
                            I agree. I suggested to the customer to have some type of access panel when the problem occurs again..... What type?????? metal.... plastic... all of what I see at H.D.... but also suggested that you can make your own to match trim around your windows and doorways.... They loved my idea .. but will have someone else to do it ( carpenter).

                            Remember I was called out to clear a tub/sink line not to replace and rip apart there whole bathroom.


                            D.M .... found a drum trap in my pile of saved brass/copper and will post pics and an explanation to the best of my ability. ( pictures are worth a thousand words.)

                            P.R. If you have any inside scoop of when copper is going to peek let me know
                            Never give up on your dreams..

                            dreams are what make us forge ahead.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                              Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
                              I agree. I suggested to the customer to have some type of access panel when the problem occurs again..... What type?????? metal.... plastic... all of what I see at H.D.... but also suggested that you can make your own to match trim around your windows and doorways.... They loved my idea .. but will have someone else to do it ( carpenter).

                              Remember I was called out to clear a tub/sink line not to replace and rip apart there whole bathroom.

                              Why would you need an acess panel if you replaced the drum trap with a P-trap?

                              Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                              I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Diagnosis quiz part 3

                                Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
                                I agree. I suggested to the customer to have some type of access panel when the problem occurs again..... What type?????? metal.... plastic... all of what I see at H.D.... but also suggested that you can make your own to match trim around your windows and doorways.... They loved my idea .. but will have someone else to do it ( carpenter).

                                Remember I was called out to clear a tub/sink line not to replace and rip apart there whole bathroom.


                                D.M .... found a drum trap in my pile of saved brass/copper and will post pics and an explanation to the best of my ability. ( pictures are worth a thousand words.)

                                P.R. If you have any inside scoop of when copper is going to peek let me know

                                Ok, i know what a drum trap looks like, im just wondering how you cant tell the difference if its upside down or not...but please post the pics.
                                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

                                www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X