X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Breakage on Durm Machines?

I have been reading over some of the old post about Sectional vs. Drum machines and seen quit a few that have said the drum machines have a breakage problem. Is it mostly on the smaller dia. cables or does that not seem to make a difference? I use a k-1500 and have never had a problem with cables breaking. Also never using a Drum machine larger than the Mini-Rooter from General Wire, what if you run into a sewer longer than what is in your Drum and there is no other clean out to setup at? How or Can you add more cable like you can with a sectional K-60 or 1500?
    ________
    VAPIR NO2 VAPORIZER
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:53 PM.
    Mike

Re: Cable Breakage on Durm Machines?

Most drum machines will allow you to add more cable. The only cable I ever broke was a 1/2" cable in a drum machine and I still have the scars. It was my fault not the machines fault as I knew I was pushing the limit.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: Cable Breakage on Drum Machines?

Drum machine cable breakage is out there.... You read about all the time... So what is a person to do ?.. Drain cleaning machine manufacturer's will always tell you to buy me. On this forum I've notice that most us who have been doing it for a while have both.

What type of cables are out there???? hollow core & inner core.. anybody who hasn't cleared a lot of drains I recommend inner core..... as to the machine & size cable to use ..... it's up to the drain your clearing thats where experience comes in... we don't break cables because we know how much it cost to replace them

Be more specific ..... a General rooter mini machine with all it's cutters should not be clearing a 4" main. k60/1500 is just add/ purchase more cable.

Scott
      Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

I sometimes break small 1/4" or 5/16" But the metal had turned white from going down pipes from all the peoples (liars) who said they didn't use drano. It takes it's toll and weakens the metal. I wash and oil all my cables but the little ones take a beating with the drano and acid people use. But It all comes out in the end money wise.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Maybe I'm just a moron when it comes to cabling lines, but anyway here is my experience. ~4 years with the K-60 hollow cables....never broke a cable or got stuck once. ~4 years with a K-6200 drum machine...broke at least three 3/4" cables and got stuck several times, once so bad it took a backhoe to get the cable out.

Thats my unique experince and needless to say in my own new business I bought a K-60.
          Last edited by Service Guy; 03-23-2008, 11:55 AM.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by rooter-mania View Post
            Drum machine cable breakage is out there.... You read about all the time... So what is a person to do ?.. Drain cleaning machine manufacturer's will always tell you to buy me. On this forum I've notice that most us who have been doing it for a while have both.

What type of cables are out there???? hollow core & inner core.. anybody who hasn't cleared a lot of drains I recommend inner core..... as to the machine & size cable to use ..... it's up to the drain your clearing thats where experience comes in... we don't break cables because we know how much it cost to replace them

Be more specific ..... a General rooter mini machine with all it's cutters should not be clearing a 4" main. k60/1500 is just add/ purchase more cable.

Scott
            I use the mini rooter for drains up to 3" only, all larger pipes I use the K-1500. I am looking a buying the K-7500 to use in place of the K-1500. That is why I have the cable Questions just seeing how they hold up compared to the sectional cables that I'm used to using.
            ________
            VOLVO D5 ENGINE
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM.
            Mike

Comment

Just reading the title of this thread, I can't help but wonder.....

What's a "durm machine"?
              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                I use the mini rooter for drains up to 3" only, all larger pipes I use the K-1500. I am looking a buying the K-7500 to use in place of the K-1500. That is why I have the cable Questions just seeing how they hold up compared to the sectional cables that I'm used to using.

Sorry about that T.D I read the thread to fast .... I understand your question? What I use is a Electric Eel D5 it holds 125' of cable and what I like about it is if I need to go further I'll rum my Eel sectionals in and connect them to my D5 for the rest of the run.

Now that the cats out of the bag I guess I'll the cabectional guy

I once used my D5 to bore a hole threw a mountain for for a railroad company
                Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                  Just reading the title of this thread, I can't help but wonder.....

What's a "durm machine"?
                  sorry for the type-o
                  ________
                  Xl185
                  Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

No worries....

I kinda deserve a smack for that one.......
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                    X