Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-50 Type of Cable Cutter to use???

I own a couple of buildings.

I just acquired a used K-50 with both a 3/8 and 5/8 cable. The 5/8" cable has a male end which can take various adaptors. Also looking to buy the A-17-A or A-17-E units with 5/16" cables. Can anyone tell me the difference and/or benefits between a "bulb auger" end of the A-17-A cable and the "drop head" of the A-17-E unit. I surmise the drop head would be more flexible in manuevering about the various bends and turns in the sewer pipes. I need the smaller 5/16" cable to unblock inside minor line stoppages.

Also we have outside 3" landscape drain that has a slight root problem. The stoppage is only about 25-30' out from the nearest cleanout. What end adaptor and SIZE would I affixed to the 5/8" cable to cut the roots. I know I should be using the larger K-60 but I'd like to try the K-50.
    - 3 blade cutter
    - 4 blade cutter
    - C Cutter
    - Expanding Cutter
    - Sawtooth Cutter
    - Sharktooth cutter
    - Knife blade and H cutter.

General Questions/Procedure:
    1. What is each cutter used for?

2. What is the recommended size of cutter for a 3" drain?

3. After cutting the roots should you retrieve your cable and cutter and then wash down the drain line or keep your cable spinning in the drain line and apply water pressure to wash down the roots?

4. Is there any video instruction on the proper use of this unit? or drain cleaning and/or maintenance in general?

5. What lubrication and preventive maintenance is needed by the unit and cables? I have ordered some Ridgid lubricant for the cables, what lubricant is needed for the unit and where do you apply the lubricant? I surmise when you retrieve your cable you should hose it down and then apply some lubricant.

6. Use of the A-16-6 Rear Guide Hose: I would imagine this is used only when feeding 3/8 or 5/8 cables into the unit. Other than providing stability and preventing kinking of the cable, is there any other purpose for this rear guide hose????

7. Any tips on preventing cable kinking?

8. When retrieving your cable I would imagine you leave the unit on and disengage the clutch and push the cable back through the unit into the cable carrier. Does the cable automatically wrap up into the cable carrier without some direction???

Call me crazy but I love tools and am fascinated by the sewer cleanout profession. I may try and get my youngest kid in the business...

Thanks in advance for your anticipated feedback...

Rob1948

Re: K-50 Type of Cable Cutter to use???

Originally posted by Rob1948 View Post
    - 3 blade cutter-not on k50
    - 4 blade cutter-grease
    - C Cutter-general purpose
    - Expanding Cutter-not on a k50
    - Sawtooth Cutter-not on k-50
    - Sharktooth cutter-not on k50
    - Knife blade and H cutter. -not on k50

General Questions/Procedure:
    1. What is each cutter used for?

2. What is the recommended size of cutter for a 3" drain? 1 that a 1/2" smaller

3. After cutting the roots should you retrieve your cable and cutter and then wash down the drain line or keep your cable spinning in the drain line and apply water pressure to wash down the roots? cut while water is running then pull back after it's cleared

4. Is there any video instruction on the proper use of this unit? or drain cleaning and/or maintenance in general? http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K60-Drain-Machine
    this is for the 60 but it's basically the same.

5. What lubrication and preventive maintenance is needed by the unit and cables? I have ordered some Ridgid lubricant for the cables, what lubricant is needed for the unit and where do you apply the lubricant? I surmise when you retrieve your cable you should hose it down and then apply some lubricant. cables-wd40
    http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/8ACEFAA...achine_Man.pdf

6. Use of the A-16-6 Rear Guide Hose: I would imagine this is used only when feeding 3/8 or 5/8 cables into the unit. Other than providing stability and preventing kinking of the cable, is there any other purpose for this rear guide hose???? no

7. Any tips on preventing cable kinking? Don't have too much out of the pipe

8. When retrieving your cable I would imagine you leave the unit on and disengage the clutch and push the cable back through the unit into the cable carrier. Does the cable automatically wrap up into the cable carrier without some direction??? Read manual
    You're asking for bad trouble by using this for roots. The k50 was not made for roots. I recommend to use the 50 inside but call a professional in to handle the root problem. Best of luck.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear Junkie:

thanks for your frank comments... I'll heed your comments and call a professional for the roots.

Rob1948

Comment

In choosing between a A-17-A unit of A-17-E unit, I need to know what benefits a "drop head" will provide vs a bulb auger head. I surmise the drop head would provide more flexibility in manuevering about the various bends and turns in the sewer pipes.

Thanks...

Rob1948

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1948 View Post
          In choosing between a A-17-A unit of A-17-E unit, I need to know what benefits a "drop head" will provide vs a bulb auger head. I surmise the drop head would provide more flexibility in manuevering about the various bends and turns in the sewer pipes.

Thanks...

Rob1948
          The bulb is for general cleaning while the drop head is for hard to navigate lines like a back to back san tee. The drop head can get you in trouble fairly easy if you don't know what you are doing. The rear guide hose is only for 5/8" as the 3/8" uses one of the adapters.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

there is a stiffer, tighter wind cable for the k-50.

it's the c-9 and is 10' long sections. the cable is rated for 2''-4'' pipe.

this will cut small roots inside of small pipe.

remember the machine is only 1/6 h.p.

the cutters are interchangeable with the 3/8'' drum cable with the same connector style.

my favorite cutters for this machine are

t-201 straight auger
            t-202/203 bub auger
            t-206 funnel auger
            t-213 4 blade 1'' cutter.

also i have swapped the t-109 1.75'' spiral sawtooth cutter from the 7/8'' machine and installed it on the 5/8'' coupling.

be very careful of the drop head bulb auger t-217 as it can easily get broken/ damaged. i use this with caution and will hand feed it into the tee. let it drop then turn it on.

the k-50 is a very useful machine and works great for the smaller stuff.

think about moving up to the k-60 for all your bigger stuff and it will still use all the k-50 5/8'' cables and cutters.

personally, i don't use my a17 5/16'' - 3/8'', drum adapters. i use the k-39 machine instead.

i also rarely use my rear guide hose. indoors i find a 5 gallon bucket works great to allow the cable to spin in when dirty or carpets. inside a shower the cable spins in the shower.

when i have a serious trap stoppage, like a shower that hasn't drained since the building was built. i use the 5/8'' with the t-213 4 blade cutter to bore though the tile grout and hot mop tar.

enjoy your new machine and you'll love the power and flexibility the 5/8'' sectional possesses.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions....

Rob1948

Comment

Working...
              X