mini jetter 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini jetter 2

looking at all of the pressure an gpm specs why can a guy buy an electric pressure washer and put a hose on it. from what i can tell all of the pumps are the same. rick hopefully you can shed some light
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Re: mini jetter 2

You can buy an electric and convert it with a on/off valve,some 1/8" jetter line, a whip section and a foot valve if needed. Size some tips to the machine and go! You might want to look on ebay under jetter there is a guy in Maryland I believe that makes ready to electric units for around $500 that look pretty good.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

mine is maketed as a pressure washer
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

a jetter is basically a pressure washer that has been outfitted with the proper hose and a pulsation valve. the hose, is more of a slick hose, than a sticky rubber hose. i prefer the braided stainless hoses for small units.

a pulsation valve is used to help the jetter hose pulsate/ jump and help negotiate the turns. basically it's a valve or pin that disables one of the pumps pistons/ plungers to create a miss in the flow. sort of like pulling one spark plug wire on a cylinder engine. the engine will run ruff. this creates a pulse to help the hose jump past a tight turn.

normally this is used on smaller machines. most pumps are 3 cylinder and run pretty smooth. with 1 cylinder not pumping, you create the pulse. but you lose the pressure and flow, so it's only used for a short period to get past the turn.

a simple way to get pretty good results is to use a foot pedal valve, or spray gun valve and cycle the valve quickly on, off as the hose is twisted to help in jumping the turn.

on the smaller units/ electric, we are limited to the size of the pump as there is only so much power we can suck from an outlet.

typically 2 horsepower is the limit on an electric portable unit.

my electric unit is 2 h.p., 1500 psi at 2.1 gpm. this will eventually trip a 20 amp breaker as things heat up.

with a gas unit, you can go crazy with gpm and psi. gpm is more desired than psi. it's also more expensive to increase gpm than psi.

a decent gas unit will produce 3000psi at 4 gpm. this can be achieved with a 11h.p - 13 h.p engine. 4'' pipe is the real limit as you don't have the flushing volume to really clean the pipe beyond this.

if you can jet upstream/ reverse, you can do better and it's also easier to flush out the debris. to get the hose/ nozzle to go forward, the water goes back wards. just like a rocket exhaust. so instead of pulling all the waste debris back upstream as the hose goes downstream. you try to jet upstream, so the waste water flows downstream and washes away.

manhole to manhole is a simple way the city can clean upstream. on a typical installation, we don't have a straight runs and running in reverse/ upstream is not the norm.

hopefully, you understand the principals of jetting and the basics of pumps.

a jetter is just a pressure washer with all the bells and whistles.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

a jetter is basically a pressure washer that has been outfitted with the proper hose and a pulsation valve
          this bit is American only. I haven`t seen one here in Oz. Only seen them on your websites. Can only imagine you need all the help you can get to push the hose down the drain. But cutting a valve out = slightly reduced pressure and flow to accomodate the pulse valve, doesnt seem worth the effort. So I`d say, leave the pulse valve out = better thrust psi and gpm.

I may have missed something else about this valve, not too sure, but from what I`ve seen, we don`t use them here in Oz.

Comment

Rick is correct about the pulsation valve separating the jetter from a pressure washer.In the US they sell pulsation valve kits to convert pressure washers to jetters.The little mini jetter you show in another thread is actually sold here as a pressure washer ,by Landa as a zrf at 1000psi and 2 gpm,I think it is actually made by AR though,some companies sell it as a TRX also.I have 2 of them.I also have a Mustang mini jetter with the pulsation valve which definitely helps it negotiate turns better.The pressure washer only will have a tendency to jam right into a turn and push into it.The jetter valve will cause the line to pulsate Like Rick pointed out and shake it loose to negotiate the turn.I have only used them in my own home so far ,but you can definitely tell the difference in the two negotiating turns.

Comment

i have used jetters quite a few times in the past when i was starting in the trade i worked for a drain cleaning company. i have com to realise from memory that these units must have been homemead as well. the hose was attatched to a pressurewasher handle and i squeesed and released to make turns in conjunction with a twist in the hose. where is a good place for hoses/heads
              Last edited by proplumb; 03-24-2008, 03:50 PM.
              how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

I think this is the guy Cuda is talking about that sells on EBAY
                His seller ID is arthurbentley.
                Go to ebay. Click 'advanced search'(towards top right). Click 'items by seller' (on left)
                Then enter his seller ID.

I've bought several items from him and hes been great.
                FEDEX even messed up once and sent an over night package to an abandoned house down the road so I didn't get it. He immediately sent a new item when I called him, even though fedex swore up and down they delivered it. Long story short, he even gave me a $40 credit for having to wait 4 days when I paid for overnight.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  a jetter is basically a pressure washer that has been outfitted with the proper hose and a pulsation valve. the hose, is more of a slick hose, than a sticky rubber hose. i prefer the braided stainless hoses for small units.

a pulsation valve is used to help the jetter hose pulsate/ jump and help negotiate the turns. basically it's a valve or pin that disables one of the pumps pistons/ plungers to create a miss in the flow. sort of like pulling one spark plug wire on a cylinder engine. the engine will run ruff. this creates a pulse to help the hose jump past a tight turn.

normally this is used on smaller machines. most pumps are 3 cylinder and run pretty smooth. with 1 cylinder not pumping, you create the pulse. but you lose the pressure and flow, so it's only used for a short period to get past the turn.

a simple way to get pretty good results is to use a foot pedal valve, or spray gun valve and cycle the valve quickly on, off as the hose is twisted to help in jumping the turn.

on the smaller units/ electric, we are limited to the size of the pump as there is only so much power we can suck from an outlet.

my electric unit is 2 h.p., 1500 psi at 2.1 gpm. this will eventually trip a 20 amp breaker as things heat up.

with a gas unit, you can go crazy with gpm and psi. gpm is more desired than psi. it's also more expensive to increase gpm than psi.

a decent gas unit will produce 3000psi at 4 gpm. this can be achieved with a 11h.p - 13 h.p engine. 4'' pipe is the real limit as you don't have the flushing volume to really clean the pipe beyond this.

if you can jet upstream/ reverse, you can do better and it's also easier to flush out the debris. to get the hose/ nozzle to go forward, the water goes back wards. just like a rocket exhaust. so instead of pulling all the waste debris back upstream as the hose goes downstream. you try to jet upstream, so the waste water flows downstream and washes away.

manhole to manhole is a simple way the city can clean upstream. on a typical installation, we don't have a straight runs and running in reverse/ upstream is not the norm.

rick.
                  Rick, i think that was a brilliant post, explained quite a lot for me, as i'm new too all this jetting stuff.when i bought my jetter, i was told about this switch/handle, to push backwards and forwards, when the nozzle was no longer movind forward,now i understand the pulsating your on about.
                  And i often wondered why people tried to twist the pipe, now i know, really appreciate that post, thanks very much

Comment

I`ve never had the problem of the hose not wanting to go around the corner and not having seen the pulsating valve in action I can see why here in Oz. We have all sort of learnt this special technique with the hose ( with smaller hose of 1/8", 3/16" 1/4" and 3/8" ) The technique is rather a motion of grabbing the hose with two hands about 2 foot apart on the hose and twisting itself inside and out of itself in a figure 8 type show. This inturn will twist the head of the jetter ( once pressurised ) and motivate the head down the drain. I have the ability to turn the jet head up a branch line and service there aswell. Watching on the CCTV from the other direction allows me to see the jet head working and turning, cutting junk and tree roots off like an oxy cutter cutting into metal.

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
                      Rick, i think that was a brilliant post,
                      Oh boy, the head is getting bigger.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                        Rick you seem to have a good knowledge base on the jetter. We have a 1500 psi unit in our shop that will not make pressure higher than 180psi. I have ordered in a set of packings and seals for the ceramic pistons thinking this is the most likely case of pressure loss. Do you or anybody else have thoughts on the problem.

thx
                        Lambeater

Comment

it could be the unloader. there is a way to bypass the unloader and test the pressure directly from the pump head. you just have to be careful and have a pressure relief and high pressure ball valve to test with.

also check the pressure at the head of the pump without a big nozzle. the nozzle could be too worn. i would use a high pressure ball valve to throttle the flow down and bring up the pressure. with little flow, te pressure should come up.

of course the pump itself could be worn and a rebuild is needed.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X