Behind the Times ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behind the Times ???

Is it just me or is ridgid behind the times?
    check this out
    http://www.marcosnakes.com/jetforce.htm

I have been having trouble with cables and cutter bolts and retriever ends failing way to soon.

Ridgid doesn't offer many cutters for my K-7500 when I see tons of cutters for other brands of machines. What is it gonna take to get the tools we need for the trade?
    YES
    66.67%
    NO
    11.11%
    WE DONT NEED ANY MORE TOOLS FOR OUR MACHINES
    22.22%
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Re: Behind the Times ???

I believe it is important for Ridgid to try and stay ahead of the game. That being said I think they already have great choices available and we all seem to modify heads to our own needs.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'd like to add that quality is the most important feature of a tool. Take away all the widgets and gadgets and just give me a tool that I can rely on. That being said, Ridgid can't sit on their laurels, they have to improve what's already out there. Lenox tubing cutters are a great example. I gave my ridgid tubing cutter away because the lenox were better. The reason why the Lenox are better are small reasons and Ridgid could've done them-square the knob up to prevent slippage.

Ridgid is the one tool company, as far as I know, that should be producing the best tools because the forum might as well be called "Ridgid Research and Development". The Ridgid bubba's can read the forum and know what tradesman want because we're talking about it everday. How many times has Rick asked for stronger 7/8" cable? Plenty, but no feedback from Ridgid. What happened? I bought General 7/8" innercore because Ridgid couldn't fill that need. I'm sure there are plenty of examples out there where Ridgid missed the mark by not listening to the consumer. Steve and his cables. I would never, ever by a 3/4" Ridgid cable just because of how much bad talk there is on them. Ridgid used to make good IC cable. What happened, why the change? The list can keep going. If Spartan ever decided to make a sectional machine, Ridgid's sectional sales would be in trouble.

If Ridgid chooses to ride on their past reputation instead of the future then they will join companies and products like Ford and Craftsman Tools.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What am I looking at there ACS?

Is that a snake with a jetter hose inside the cable? pretty cool

How well do you think it works?

Comment

Interesting... the question I have is wouldn't the forward facing jets be fighting progress down the pipe (rear facing propel you)? Another potential problem is leaks. There are about 10 places I could think of that wouldn't make it a month without having leak issues.

Comment

Great thread All Clear,

The reason I first started using Ridgid was because of there non metal drums, I was using Spartans at the time..... and they had a limited choice of cutters back then and never offered anything else since..... I run General cable in my Ridgid machines now......

although my K 1000 rod runner ( big bertha ) is a superior machine compared to my General rod runner) and has many choices in cutters .I agree Marco offers a wide array of cutters and will be shipping out more I stumbled onto.... but as far as how they perform I'm sure there is a expert on this in this forum to answer that
            Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

i don't think Ridgid is behind the times, but a little wake up call is needed. the quality of my last puurchase of cutters/augers was not up to the standard of just 2 years ago. this is especially evident with the 5/8s tools. the knuckle on the drop head is pretty loose. not as firm as my first 2 and the spade head just wobbles on its set screw.

i don't use IC cables but the last batch of 7/8s open wind just feel less robust as my originals from almost 2 years ago.

since getting to a show is not looking very promising i guess i'm going to order a complete array of cutters and augers for both my 5/8 & 7/8 setups and go from there.

just my $.02 before taxes

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

These "WERE" Ridgid retrievers till I cut the first 2 rounds off so I could use em to punch big root balls. The big problem with em is the coupler ends only last about 10 sewers then they want to fall off the cable. They are way to soft as I now see the coupler bolts on my cutters are not lasting either. Some one needs to learn how to harden the tool ends. I pay like 28.00 for the retrievers just to cut em up and only get 10 uses out of em. I`d like to seem em last a few months????? Same with the cutter coupler bolts, I get about 1 month out of em and then they want to fall off the cable.

These are the cutters that rooter-mania sent me. Look at this and Marco offers more then this.

Look here,
                looks like Marco knew some one wanted to rip roots

Makes me want to take the old Marco out for a spin

Josh
                I cant see that machine being worth a crap myself but they are trying things someone wanted. Not a good idea by no means except for the "BLACK BLOB" clog. I can see all kinds of problems with a set up like that.
                Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 03-26-2008, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post

These "WERE" Ridgid retrievers till I cut the first 2 rounds off so I could use em to punch big root balls. The big problem with em is the coupler ends only last about 10 sewers then they want to fall off the cable. They are way to soft as I now see the coupler bolts on my cutters are not lasting either. Some one needs to learn how to harden the tool ends. I pay like 28.00 for the retrievers just to cut em up and only get 10 uses out of em. I`d like to seem em last a few months????? Same with the cutter coupler bolts, I get about 1 month out of em and then they want to fall off the cable.

These are the cutters that rooter-mania sent me. Look at this and Marco offers more then this.

Look here,
                  looks like Marco knew some one wanted to rip roots

Makes me want to take the old Marco out for a spin

Josh
                  I cant see that machine being worth a crap myself but they are trying things someone wanted. Not a good idea by no means except for the "BLACK BLOB" clog. I can see all kinds of problems with a set up like that.
                  And not to forget the leader,,,, and the gear drive... and the fact that they have a fast connect/ disconnect Josh...... any thoughts.....
                  Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

Come on guys... you're hurtin my feelings. Just kidding.

Here what ya guys got going now. The new person in charge of drain cleaning for the last year really does read the forums a lot and takes everything said to heart. Believe me we are paying attention and trying to make changes. You'll get to meet the people who make the tools when you are here for the Roundup. The forum is continuing to grow in influence. We have a lot of people reading what you guys say now.

BTW... good input in this thread. Any specific type of cutters we are lacking that you guys would like to see?

Josh

Comment

Josh, as an outsider, sat on the fence, i feel that youv'e had loads of feedback, not getting at you (yet) now your oppertunitty(can i spell or what/) t sort it,.

Wish i had this chance to change this business if it was mine.

money going to other companies here.

Comment

3"-4" Expanding Cutter
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Josh it`s like this:
                          I need retrievers that the ends don't ware out so fast. I can cut em down to make root rippers and I have no problem doing so.

I need cutter bolts that don't ware out so fast.

I need better I/C Cable that don't knot-up or brake in the first week of use.

From what I see it`s a quality control issue. I know most of these parts are if not all of em are farmed out. Some one needs to step up the Harding process.

I`ve been true to the brand of Ridgid but some where a change has to be made as the cost has been out of my pocket on tools that are not up to standards for my trade.
                          Now I don't know if there's anything any better "yet" but as I told Durra Cable, I`m all ears right now as I`m having to much down time. I use my machine more then the average plumber and maybe I expect to much? I don't know but I know the quality has gone down on some of the things I use every day.

I`ve offered to be a tool tester many times and give insight on what changes need to be made as I`m also a fabricator as I`m in to motor sports and we fabricate many parts we cant buy on the open market.

If they are reading and listing I`m offering one last time

Comment

-3X4 and a 2X3 cutter
                            -7/8" sectional with a tighter wind-not an innercore. Innercore is just too heavy.
                            -sink drum for the k-60(just like the k-50)
                            -redesign the unlocking pin for the sectional, make it with a screwdriver triangular handle so it wont roll off roofs and have a 1/4" allen head coming out the side of the handle to adjust for cable size. I'll volunteer to field test this.
                            -better toilet augers-generals are much better, take a look at the difference
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              -better toilet augers-generals are much better, take a look at the difference
                              I broke my Ridgid toilet auger, That plastic handle isn't worth a crap.
                              Gotta go buy a new one tomorrow

Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 03-26-2008, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X