X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetting Orangeburg

Does a jetter do any damage to orangeburg? I ran a big jetter for about a year. We didn't have a camera so I couldn't see the result except for all the garbage that we would pull into the manholes. I always figured with 3000 psi it would shred orangeburg. luckily there was none where I was jetting.

Re: Jetting Orangeburg

The title to this should be Digging orangeburg.

I've seen a tendency for the head to burrow between the layers
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

We i live Orangeburg is all over the place, and its 3in. I would camera the line before jetting to make sure there are no problems. I have jetted Orangeburg plenty of times, and knock on wood, have not had a problem with it.

I just wouldnt go crazy with pressure.
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

It seems that all the encounters I have had with orangeburg are different. It is either still in fine shape or totally junk and needs to be replaced.

I have jetted it before and saw large chuncks ncome flying out and other times it stays intact. In short the stuff is junk and should be replaced if at all possible.

Would make a great candidate for bursting and maybe even lining if it is still in decent shape.
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

what is a safe psi to jet that junk with?

Comment

0 psi
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

in other words replace.

Comment

yep
                it`s already lived it`s life span

Comment

I agree, Orangeburg should be replaced, but unfortunetly some people around here just cant afford to replace lines, so you do you must to keep them open until they do.
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I cable Orangeburg out 2 to 3 times a day but I would never jet it.

Comment

most of the orangebird i see out here is for area drains. typically these lines are never maintained and by the time i get to them the pipe is oval. jetting is the only way to clean oval pipe. unless you use a straight auger.

i always try to use a cutter either full size or 1/2'' smaller than the pipe.

can't do that with oval pipe.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

we run into all the time down here,sometimes i think it was invented here,and your right two things that always come into play customer finances and overall condition of the pipe {or of anything were working on} all you can do is pass on the info, pro and cons and the rest is up to your client.

Comment

Originally posted by aero1 View Post
                          we run into all the time down here,sometimes i think it was invented here,and your right two things that always come into play customer finances and overall condition of the pipe {or of anything were working on} all you can do is pass on the info, pro and cons and the rest is up to your client.
                          It looks like it started out as a potable water line in Boston in 1865 then an electrical conduit made in Orange-burg, New York in the late 1800s.

http://www.sewerhistory.org/articles...orangeburg.htm

I have a 39-year home which was built with an Orangeburg sewer. I recently cameraed the area under my driveway and the stuff is still perfect. I am planning on changing my driveway out soon and at that point I will replace it as a just in case.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            most of the orangebird i see out here is for area drains. typically these lines are never maintained and by the time i get to them the pipe is oval. jetting is the only way to clean oval pipe. unless you use a straight auger.

i always try to use a cutter either full size or 1/2'' smaller than the pipe.

can't do that with oval pipe.

rick.
                            Rick these work great on Orangeburg

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                              I agree, Orangeburg should be replaced, but unfortunately some people around here just cant afford to replace lines, so you do you must to keep them open until they do.
                              You've got it Drain Medic. Around here the people living in sections of town with clay or orangeburg are living there because they can't afford newer homes. Often they can hardly afford me with my augur let alone replacing 100' plus of sewer 8' down with it connecting to the city on the other side of the road!

I can see jetting will be the wave of the future . I was just wondering if people with orangeburg will be out of luck.

OOOPS I see 2 mistakes with my comments

1.They can hardly afford me with my augure because the big screen T.V. and cable cost to much.
                              2. Jetting and BIDETS will be the wave of the future

Comment

Working...
                              X